Abit AN8 SLi

Imager

Aug 10, 2005
Ok I was getting a 0.4 error code for quite some time. I kept reseating the ram over and over and same error. Finally I installed the basics of the mobo outside the case (tray only). I think I got past the 0.4 error, but NOW I get 8.7 - check CPU voltage (per manual) and as soon as it displays that error on the mobo it shuts down right away.

How to I check the CPU Voltage - what does that mean. And how the heck do I fix that????
:eek: :confused:

CheesePoofs

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2004
We need some more information ...

What is the rest of your computer?
When exactly does it give you this error?
Can you get into the bios?
What bios are you running?

Imager

Aug 10, 2005
Antec 550w PSU
Antec P160
Abit AN8 SLi
AMD64 3500+ stock HS/Fan
Crucial ValueRam 1GIG (2 sticks)
eVGA 7800GT - not connected at this time for the testing (had connected when I got the 0.4 error)
Maxtor 250 SATA150 HDD
Seagate 250 SATA150 HDD

It gives me the error after it shows the code 8.3 about 4-5 secs after boot, then it shuts off automatically after about 3sec. The code will still stay on the LED of the mobo. Can't get into BIOS. BIOS version is whatever came with the mobo - everything was brand new outta the box.

I don't have another 939 socket CPU to try and my other PSU is only a 20pin, new motherboard is the 24 pin.
Kinda frustating after 2K (including monitor) and 4 days of working on this and I still can't play with my new toy!! :brokenheart:

Imager

Aug 10, 2005
Here we go again.....

I reset ALL the components and it goes thru the LED readings 8.3, 9.0, F.1 then after the F.1 BAM I'm back to the 0.4 error again.
I'm about ready to just jump out the 8th story building window!!!

CheesePoofs

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2004
Does it post?

What you might want to try doing is strip yoru computer down to only the motherboard with the CPU, 1 stick of ram, and the video card hooked up. If that still doesn't work, take your motherboard out of the case and lay it on top of an antistatic bag (which you could place on top of the motherboard's box) and try it with just the CPU, single stick of ram, and video card again. It is possible there is somethign in the case thats shorting it.

Imager

Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: CheesePoofs
Does it post?

What you might want to try doing is strip yoru computer down to only the motherboard with the CPU, 1 stick of ram, and the video card hooked up. If that still doesn't work, take your motherboard out of the case and lay it on top of an antistatic bag (which you could place on top of the motherboard's box) and try it with just the CPU, single stick of ram, and video card again. It is possible there is somethign in the case thats shorting it.

No posting, can't get past the 0.4 code.

I have it out of the case and on an anti static bag. The only thing I even have plugged in is just the CPU, PSU, and RAM - same code with or without video card. And same error with 1 or 2 sticks of RAM and it doesn't matter which DIMM either.

I have even reset the CMOS again too!

Imager

Aug 10, 2005
When I went to reseat the CPU again and took the HS/FAN off the CPU was stuck to it, that is NOT good.

Since I don't know what else to do or try, I think I'll RMA a few parts.

I did call Abit and they said the RAM is compatiable with the motherboard :confused:

marks70

Apr 20, 2000
Hi ran into this exact same issue when there were some grounding issues with the motherboard and the backplate for a Zalman HSF I installed. Didn't you say it worked fine taking it out of your case? Maybe you're having a grounding issue also.

Imager

Aug 10, 2005
nah, it never worked fine. I ended up RMAing it though. Got it back and hooked it up - everything (so far) is working great!