ABC News releases Paul Ryan's letters requesting stimulus money

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Straw man. Of course tax cuts create jobs. It's a form of stimulus. It's just not as effective as government spending, according to actual economists. Paul Ryan & Friends claim that stimulus is not stimulative

I think he is just claiming its not stimulative for those people outside his district. ;)

According to at least two other previous statements, he said he never took stimulus money, and he wasn't the type of guy who would "vote against something and then write to the government to ask them to send us money."

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I thought Ryan was the intellectual leader of the GOP?

Shouldn't he be setting the example for the others to follow?

Hard to complain about the slop when you are ears deep in the troth.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
If they really cared then why did they wait until now to throw such a stink about the deficit?

Because they do not care about the deficit. It is just a scare tactic they are using to fool people into voting for them and a stick to beat at Obama with.

The last time there was republican control in the white house and congress they spent like drunken sailors, yet they are now the party of fiscal discipline?

And they have said they plan on cutting taxes, so where is the revenue going to come from??

Voodoo.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Dammit Shane.
So giving the reins back to the party that tanked the economy in the first place so they can do the exact same things that tanked the economy in the first place would have produced results better than what we have right now.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
So giving the reins back to the party that tanked the economy in the first place so they can do the exact same things that tanked the economy in the first place would have produced results better than what we have right now.
Are you saying it was all the Republican's fault that the meltdown occurred?

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I don't believe this should mean anything. Politicians should be able to try to oppose a fiscal measure, and if it fails, their position should not mean that all of their constituents are exempt from taking part.

Is it OK for them to claim that the stimulus created no jobs when they wrote letters claiming that just one tiny piece would create 7300 of them? Where I'm from, that's called self-contradiction.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I fucking hate Ryan/Romney with oh so much passion, but this is similar to earmarking. The funds are going to be spent regardless and congressmen should indeed try and allot a certain percentage to their constituents. In my opinion everything should be earmarked to prevent the funds from being spent by the executive branch.

Just my 2 cents.

This. I've never understood why people make a big deal out of this bullshit, I mean really, that's their job is to get their constituents their piece of the government pie. Whether it's making sure money comes back to their state, or their views are represented in laws made, that is what they are elected to do.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This. I've never understood why people make a big deal out of this bullshit, I mean really, that's their job is to get their constituents their piece of the government pie. Whether it's making sure money comes back to their state, or their views are represented in laws made, that is what they are elected to do.
Read the post right above yours.

Apr 27, 2012
paul ryan isn't a Conservative, he is a liberal and supports big government so its no surprise he would support stimulus spending

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Clinton budget surpluses take money out of circulation: Think of taxation as taking money out of circulation, and spending puts money in circulation. When taxation > spending = surplus = money out of circulation.

In order for this not to have deflationary effect on economy - private sector lending had to pick up the slack, they also create money. Private sector is high on money creation when Bush rolls into town and begins again with government deficits. This + private sector lending that Clinton fostered had a huge inflationary effect on the economy, it also wasn't sustainable.

Just thought I'd put some of the history in the proper perspective, ie. the perspective of those who understand how money and government spending actually works.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
If they really cared then why did they wait until now to throw such a stink about the deficit?

Because they do not care about the deficit. It is just a scare tactic they are using to fool people into voting for them and a stick to beat at Obama with.
The deficit is more than two times larger than it was, such increases make people re-prioritize and focus on it. Sort of like a tooth that suddenly gets much worse after being just annoying. You end up going to the dentist.
The last time there was republican control in the white house and congress they spent like drunken sailors, yet they are now the party of fiscal discipline?
They spent too much, yes, but they were never as bad as what has gone down for the last four years.
And they have said they plan on cutting taxes, so where is the revenue going to come from??

Voodoo.
Growth. GDP is growing at 1.5 or something anemic like that.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Are you saying it was all the Republican's fault that the meltdown occurred?

We both know you can't say "all" but the meltdown was mainly caused by lack of regulation. Since Republicans have a proponent of eliminating regulations esp on Wall Street they get a lions share of the blame. Besides who was in charge of the SEC and all other financial oversite institutions at that time?

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
The only reason the deficit jumped with Obama is that he bailed out the banks and the auto industry after Bush tanked the economy.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
The republicans had a majority in the house damn near the entire Bush presidency.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Read the post right above yours.

Which doesn't really address what I said. A politicians personal/party beliefs, and their job to represent their constituency are going to sometimes conflict. At the end of the day, Republican, or Democrat, their job is to work towards the best interest of their constituency, if they don't, they they will be the ones to fire them.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Which doesn't really address what I said. A politicians personal/party beliefs, and their job to represent their constituency are going to sometimes conflict. At the end of the day, Republican, or Democrat, their job is to work towards the best interest of their constituency, if they don't, they they will be the ones to fire them.
No shit. That's because what you said isn't even the main issue.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

agreed, but that isn't the issue.

Ryan: "stimulus spending does not create jobs"

Ryan in his letter: "we believe this money will create 7300 jobs for my constituency."

so...which is it?

It's not so much that Ryan, as politician, lies--even though he seems to do it more consistently and egregiously than any other politician--but that he has presented himself as consistently incapable of representing his own core economic and social philosophy through his actions.