...aaand welcome to the real world (Obamacare)

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
http://news.investors.com/ibd-edito...t-doing-as-well-as-expected-with-medicaid.htm

Yeah that hospital lost 5 million.

I tried telling you guys :)

Bonus: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/05/01/us/ap-us-rural-hospitals-hard-times.html?_r=0

You might have access to an insurance policy but that doesn't guarantee the hospital can afford to keep its doors open.

And before Eski starts with his medicaid expansion shit

A Moody's report issued earlier this month found that hospitals in "Medicaid expansion states did not outperform hospitals in non-expansion states" when it comes to earnings.
Because medicare has crappy reimbursement rates which are typically below cost or just barely above it. A hospital that takes alot of medicare patients might break even but wouldn't have the capital needed to renovate or upgrade their IT systems. (A requirement of obamacare, ironically)

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So lame. From your second link-

Most of the rural hospital closures so far have occurred in the South and Midwest. Of those at risk, nearly 70 percent are in states that have declined to expand Medicaid under the federal Affordable Care Act, although some experts are hesitant to draw a cause-and-effect correlation.

Might want to check your ideological blinders.

Not a chance of a snowball in Hell, I'm sure.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Might want to check you ideological blinders.

Don't argue with Overvolt, he is basing his argument on an editorial from a far right wing newspaper (LOL) that links to a Moody's report which says the results of higher Medicaid rates are credit positive (albeit with unrealized gains so far) and an NYT story that is kind of related and probably on the whole leans against his argument.

We are all clearly lacking in the deep analytic capabilities that it takes to make such a compelling argument. By pointing out that this is dumb we are only revealing our own failings, not that Overvolt doesn't know what he is talking about.

Seriously, how many IBD editorials does it take on here before people realize that place is just an easy way for conservatives to get duped? Poor overvolt. Haha. :)

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Don't argue with Overvolt, he is basing his argument on an editorial from a far right wing newspaper (LOL) that links to a Moody's report which says the results of higher Medicaid rates are credit positive (albeit with unrealized gains so far) and an NYT story that is kind of related and probably on the whole leans against his argument.

We are all clearly lacking in the deep analytic capabilities that it takes to make such a compelling argument. By pointing out that this is dumb we are only revealing our own failings, not that Overvolt doesn't know what he is talking about.

Seriously, how many IBD editorials does it take on here before people realize that place is just an easy way for conservatives to get duped? Poor overvolt. Haha. :)
Wat.

http://www.investors.com/about-ibd

http://www.investors.com/default.htm

Not that I buy any of their investment shit but its not even a political site. Dont argue with eski this will be a 10 page thread even though he is wrong he is just incapable of realizing it.

The crux of the matter is: Are hospitals losing more money since Obamcare, and the answer is undoubtedly yes. You can try to side track that all you want.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Wat.

Not that I buy any of their investment shit but its not even a political site. Dont argue with eski this will be a 10 page thread even though he is wrong he is just incapable of realizing it.

The crux of the matter is: Are hospitals losing more money since Obamcare, and the answer is undoubtedly yes. You can try to side track that all you want.

IBD is well known to frequently run anti-ACA and climate denial editorials.

Regardless, your OP did not provide evidence that hospitals were losing more money on the whole due to the ACA. If you want to provide that evidence that's fine, lets talk about it. Until then, you might want to reconsider basing your posts on editorials.

I like how your new tactic to people calling you on your bullshit is to try and make it their fault instead of yours. It's okay to admit you've been duped.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Wat.

And yet the majority of hospital profits are soaring since Obamacare...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceja...as-obamacare-prescribes-more-paying-patients/

Hospital operators continue to see profits and revenue not seen in a decade thanks to the Affordable Care Act and related efforts to sign up uninsured patients to coverage so facilities can reduce unpaid medical bills.

Large hospital operators HCA Holdings HCA +1.66% (HCA), Tenet Healthcare THC +0.87% (THC) and Community Health Systems (CYH) in the last month issued robust 2014 earnings, revenues and large declines in uncompensated care costs, a key measure of expenses.

Hospital operators are reporting more paying patients and fewer uninsured, which means far fewer unpaid medical bills. “For the last four quarters, the decline in self-pay admits and adjusted admits and the increase in Medicaid in expansion states have grown quarter over quarter,” Community Health CFO Larry Cash said.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002

Most of the rural hospital closures so far have occurred in the South and Midwest. Of those at risk, nearly 70 percent are in states that have declined to expand Medicaid under the federal Affordable Care Act, although some experts are hesitant to draw a cause-and-effect correlation.

Wrong'r again.

Its not a cause and effect relationship. Surprise!

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
[ ... ]

You didn't show that at all. You showed some hospitals have financial problems. That's not news. You showed rural hospitals are struggling, though your own article reported that the majority of them were in states that did NOT accept the "Obamacare" Medicaid expansion. (That is the opposite of the point you are trying to make, by the way.)

Regardless, rural hospitals have been struggling -- and closing -- for decades (i.e., long before the ACA) for many reasons. This was also explained in your article. Please explain your theory on how a hospital that's only admitting two patients per day is supposed to thrive. While it is unfortunate for the community when this happens, businesses fail when they lose almost all of their customers.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
K more, just for you eski.

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20150221/MAGAZINE/302219988

Favorable demographics won't reverse the trend, consultants and health system executives say. Weak admissions are projected to last for years despite the millions of newly insured Americans, the aging of the baby boom generation and the steady upward creep of the overall population. “This flat or declining volume for inpatient is not a blip on the radar screen,” said Karin Henderson, executive director of strategic management for six-hospital Cone Health in Greensboro, N.C.

Small, independent hospitals and academic medical centers may be the most vulnerable to financial stress as occupancy rates decline. Small hospitals lack the capital to invest in primary- and ambulatory-care facilities to attract patients seeking prevention and wellness services or whose insurers are pushing them to seek care in outpatient settings.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Did you read your own link? Start with the first sentence, for crying out loud. Do you understand those words?

Yes, getting ibuprofen at urgent care is now what we call healthcare.

Regulations are killing hospitals. You guys wanted 8,000 pages of regulations, you got them.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Wrong'r again.

Its not a cause and effect relationship. Surprise!

You already claimed that it is. Oh, God! Evil Obamacare driving hospitals out of business!

The mental contortions required to keep the faith are astounding.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
It doesn't matter.

Ethically doctors have to see patients whether or not they have the means to pay the bill. They are still going to get treatment with or without Obama Care. Try getting a payment from someone who doesn't have the means to pay it? Good luck! Would you rather have Obama address the issue, or would you rather stick your head in the sand and hope for the best?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It doesn't matter.

Ethically doctors have to see patients whether or not they have the means to pay the bill. They are still going to get treatment with or without Obama Care. Try getting a payment from someone who doesn't have the means to pay it? Good luck! Would you rather have Obama address the issue, or would you rather stick your head in the sand and hope for the best?

Uninsured people only get emergency care.

Heart attack? They'll get you stabilized, out of immediate danger. Need bypass surgery? Who's gonna pay for it?

It's the same for a host of health problems.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Uninsured people only get emergency care.

Heart attack? They'll get you stabilized, out of immediate danger. Need bypass surgery? Who's gonna pay for it?

It's the same for a host of health problems.

I knew that the uninsured got immediate care. I thought they actually got more.

I guess not. :(

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003

The ACA aside, the closing of rural hospitals was already a big issue for many years. Funding for indigent care or public hospitals has been stagnant or falling for many years in my state. We get what we pay for, and hospital operating costs (utilities, salaries, equipment, supplies, etc.) haven't gotten any cheaper as the ACA did not address those.

It is merely a trend that has continued. It would be interesting to see data on whether that trend has remained constant, accelerated, or decelerated since the passing of the ACA, with a comparison between states that have opted into the medicare expansion. Without that, this thread is moot.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
From OP's own link:
Most of the rural hospital closures so far have occurred in the South and Midwest. Of those at risk, nearly 70 percent are in states that have declined to expand Medicaid

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Can I frame this when it becomes self evident in a couple years? :)

Expanding medicaid wouldn't have made much of a difference because the reimbursement rates are so low. You guys are... not bright.