A8N32-SLI vs DFI NF4 Expert NEED A FAST ANSWER PLEASE

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Hi,

I need a board before the end of the week, and I only have a few hours before I can place an order so that I can get it via 2nd-day shipping by Friday. I'm torn between A8N32-SLI and DFI NF4 Expert, and what matters is OC-ability, and the OC-ability only.

Features, layout, design, etc. are not important AT ALL.

I'm all about CPU OC, especially dual-core CPU OC. I've heard the A8N32 allows up to 1.6Vcore for dual-core CPUs, so that's plenty for air-cooling. (If it's true, that is) My concern is the HTT. I need more than 330+ HTT, preferably 350+ HTT comfortably for x9 multi CPUs.

If A8N32 can do, say, 340+ HTT comfortably in most cases, I will go for it. Otherwise, I'll pick up a DFI Expert, or even DFI SLI-DR since I know those boards almost guarantee 330+ HTT.

Please help me out, A8N32 owners. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

lop

Edit: Nevermind. Decided to bet on A8N32.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I would have probably gone with the DFI, but I'm not really sure. My normal SLI-DR does 400 stably and I would expect the Expert to go even higher. AT said the Expert actually crossed 500 in their review.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Generally speaking DFI is better known for overclockability in their mobos than ASUS. Not that the ASUS A8N32 cant overclock. It can and does so very well but DFI is considered to be even better for overclocking. Granted some DFI models overclock better than others. If you are basing your decision entirely on overclocking alone then I would suggest DFI as your first choice. Just make sure the DFI mobo is the right model with everything you want on it.

DrZDO

Sep 29, 2005
Late, yeah, but for reference: If simply going for HTT (FSB) speed, my A8N32 didn't have a problem going to 410. But if set at 420 or 430, it reverted back to 410 automatically.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I just got the Asus and love it. Nicest board I've ever owned. Its quality all the way around.

DrZDO

Sep 29, 2005
Originally posted by: warcrow
I just got the Asus and love it. Nicest board I've ever owned. Its quality all the way around.

It's probably perfect for me too. I can't say it's perfect for everyone, as we vary. You know what impressed me most, believe it or not? It came with a game port. I wasn't expecting it, but there it was in the box. I happen to have an old Flighstick pro that will go nicely with it. I have an old printer too, and ASUS still puts parallel ports on. Nice touches.

OatMan

Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: lopri

I'm all about CPU OC, especially dual-core CPU OC. I've heard the A8N32 allows up to 1.6Vcore for dual-core CPUs, so that's plenty for air-cooling. (If it's true, that is) My concern is the HTT. I need more than 330+ HTT, preferably 350+ HTT comfortably for x9 multi CPUs.

333 to 350 x9 on Air???

The only DC chip your going to get that out of is FX-60. And then why use the 9x? as youl have to run a divider????

If you can get a opty 165 or 170 or an X2 to do 333 or 350 x 9 stable you have a one in a million god chip.

Good luck and post if you get it, I'd love to see that:)