A trip down memory lane (a tea party thread)...

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I don't follow how this is an inevitable consequence of the nationalization of spectrum. Alaska does not legislate how its socialized oil is used. They sell it and let the industry do with it what it will. The FCC could do the exact same thing by being reduced to an agency that establishes technical standards and holds auctions.

I never said they couldn't, just that it will never be politically feasible to do so absent a law prohibiting any content regulation by the FCC. Being a realist I doubt that will ever happen especially given that the courts have traditionally kept the FCC on a fairly short leash regarding just how far they can go in regulating content.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
I never said they couldn't, just that it will never be politically feasible to do so absent a law prohibiting any content regulation by the FCC. Being a realist I doubt that will ever happen especially given that the courts have traditionally kept the FCC on a fairly short leash regarding just how far they can go in regulating content.
I think it's likely it won't ever happen as well. However this is one trimming that I think a GOP effort could have a chance to actually pull off if the stars aligned correctly. It has much better odds than killing the Department of Education.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
http://brain-terminal.com/posts/2010/03/31/a-trip-down-memory-lane

Not too long ago, taking to the streets to protest your government was considered a patriotic act.

It’s true!

But it seems that publicly airing your grievances stopped being patriotic right around noon on January 20th, 2009.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6b1VOAATNk

This has been something of comedy to me. I find it absolutely hilarious that people on both sides have totally flip flopped on their position of protesting the government. The left used to view it as patriotic, damn the messages of comparing Bush to Hitler and talking about murder etc, while the right was calling them unpatriotic and pointing the finger saying they are the reason we're "weak." Now it's damn near flipped around.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
The liberal fools won't be in charge of anything soon. They will be voted into the minority, and people who actually know how to run a country will be back in charge. Everyone knows this.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
The liberal fools won't be in charge of anything soon. They will be voted into the minority, and people who actually know how to run a country will be back in charge. Everyone knows this.

So we're getting rid of our two dominate parties and their members? Sweet!

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Real conservative republicans wish that people like you would just go back to the cellar from whence you came and shut the fuck up already before you cost them more house and senate seats. They wish you would make take the whole Tea Party and fuck off already before you blow what should be a slam dunk in a few short months. Everyone knows this.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
http://brain-terminal.com/posts/2010/03/31/a-trip-down-memory-lane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6b1VOAATNk

This has been something of comedy to me. I find it absolutely hilarious that people on both sides have totally flip flopped on their position of protesting the government. The left used to view it as patriotic, damn the messages of comparing Bush to Hitler and talking about murder etc, while the right was calling them unpatriotic and pointing the finger saying they are the reason we're "weak." Now it's damn near flipped around.

Yup, it's pathetic on both sides.

Funny how 2 years ago, saying anything bad about Bush was "unpatriotic", and considered treason by some, and as soon as Obama was sworn in, that rule magically disappeared.

Just like Hannity, when Clinton was in office and sent peacekeepers to Bosnia, Hannity said that the President wasn't allowed to do that without Congress's approval. Fast forward to 2002, when anyone that didn't agree with Bush 100% was a traitor to the country and in his eyes, should be locked up in gitmo. And of course, Bush was allowed to break any and all laws whenever he wanted. Nice flip-flop.

Funny how all those abuses under Bush, that all the dems complained about, all shut up as soon as Obama kept everything the same.

Both sides are horrible and lie.

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
Real conservative republicans wish that people like you would just go back to the cellar from whence you came and shut the fuck up already before you cost them more house and senate seats. They wish you would make take the whole Tea Party and fuck off already before you blow what should be a slam dunk in a few short months. Everyone knows this.

I'm actually very conservative, but if you have to keep your ranks quiet in order to win, you are doing it very wrong.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Nobody on the left has said anything about stopping anyone from speaking that I'm aware of.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah, I posted this awhile back dude.
yeah my bad bro sorry.
Yup, it's pathetic on both sides.

Funny how 2 years ago, saying anything bad about Bush was "unpatriotic", and considered treason by some, and as soon as Obama was sworn in, that rule magically disappeared.

Just like Hannity, when Clinton was in office and sent peacekeepers to Bosnia, Hannity said that the President wasn't allowed to do that without Congress's approval. Fast forward to 2002, when anyone that didn't agree with Bush 100% was a traitor to the country and in his eyes, should be locked up in gitmo. And of course, Bush was allowed to break any and all laws whenever he wanted. Nice flip-flop.

Funny how all those abuses under Bush, that all the dems complained about, all shut up as soon as Obama kept everything the same.

Both sides are horrible and lie.

Yeah it's quite ridiculous.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

On Jan 21 2009, the US was in two wars, the economy was on the verge of a 1930's type Depression. In Jan and Feb 2009 the US lost 1.4 million jobs.

Oh yeah the country should governed by "people who actually know how to run a country".