A tribute thread regarding US envoy George Mitchell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Many a moon has passed since since George Mitchell left the US senate as past Senate majority leader. Rather than retiring he has devoted himself to public service. And today George Mitchell resigned as US special envoy regarding US Israeli Palestinian peace efforts.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110513/ap_on_re_us/us_us_mideast_mitchell

If nothing else Mitchell had his triumphs, as the man who mediated the ending of British Irish terrorism that was a lasting 300 year plus legacy.

But despite all of Mitchell's shuttle diplomacy efforts, he is in fine company with many others in failing to end only a 63 year old problem.

At this writing we do not know if George Mitchell will retire to well deserved honor or if he will take on new public service efforts.

But as a proud American citizen, I can only say Mitchell is a fine American in our finest traditions. At the same time, I can think of other people of the GOP stripe, like Colin Powell
who have also undertaken promoting American values.

Some people make the world a far better place by their life while other people only make the world a better place with their death.

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Anyone that could persuade my Irish brethen to put aside the "Troubles" and take up peace (and not coincidentally, usher in a decade of prosperity that moved Ireland and the north from near third world economies to the economic engines of Europe-until the bankers greed did them in) is an amazingly persuasive and accomplished person.

Unfortunately I feel his resignation is nearly irrefutable evidence that neither side in the MidEast will ever want peace and it is absolutely foolish for the US to waste its time-and treasure-there. It's a true shame we are pissing away $10 billion a year there on those fools.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Unfortunately I feel his resignation is nearly irrefutable evidence that neither side in the MidEast will ever want peace and it is absolutely foolish for the US to waste its time-and treasure-there.

It's a true shame we are pissing away $10 billion a year there on those fools.

Only $10 billion?

No wonder Pakistan hates us, that should be $1o trillion

Status
Not open for further replies.