A tale of two concentration camps in 2004

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
First, a passage describing accomodations at the North Korean concentration camps that seem to upset the "human rights" community as much as Guantanamo Bay:

"I witnessed a whole family being tested on suffocating gas and dying in the gas chamber. The parents, a son, and a daughter." The speaker is Kwon Hyuk, a former North Korean intelligence agent and a one-time administrator at Camp 22, the country's largest concentration camp. His testimony was heard on a television documentary that aired last week on the BBC. "The parents were vomiting and dying, but till the very last moment they tried to save the kids by doing mouth-to-mouth breathing."

Meanwhile, at Guantanamo Bay, the big issue is weight gain. The horror:

"For two or three days I was confused, but later the Americans were so nice with me, they were giving me good food with fruit and water for ablutions before prayer."

Besides teaching him to read and write English, the military provided books in his native Pashto language and a Quran, Islam's sacred book.

See, there's no difference at all.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
LOL the brain dead wankers who host Fox and Friends just commented about this saying that Gitmo was a "Summer Camp"

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
I'm sure no one was directly equating the two systems. But does the fact that one is not as bad as the other mean that it should escape criticism?

Something that really, really, annoys me is when people or governments who previously have ignored or criticised human rights organisations suddenly act all pious and quote their reports on one case alone when it suits their needs.
I'm sure the activists at Amnesty are just pleased as punch to see their reports on Iraq seeing so much attention while their reports on, say, Georgia are ignored. Apparantly the fact that Iraq was run by a repressive regime was reason to invade, whereas the fact that Georgia is run by a repressive regime means that we should give it military aid. :disgust:

Isn't this the exact same mistake we made in Iraq? We supported one dictator because it was politically expediant at the time, though we came to regret it. Now we are doing exactly the same thing in a different part of the world. How is this going to deter future saddams?

Drizzy

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2003
Wow to conclude that the two camps are comparible is simple idiotic. On one hand you have people dying and being gased and on the other hand you have people gaining weight. Good job on selecting the only part of the article that follows your views. If you would have included the paragraph right above the one you quoted:

"At first I was unhappy with the U.S. forces. They stole 14 months of my life," Agha said. "But they gave me a good time in Cuba. They were very nice to me, giving me English lessons."

Sounds pretty similar to being gased? It sounds like he was treated quite well. This is a 15 year old boy that was holding a gun and pointing it at our US troops... I think that is pretty decent treatment.

Also, the main complaint that the "human rights" community had was his age. It wasnt the treatment he received.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Drizzy: Chill out dude. I was employing a bit of sarcasm directed at the "let's bash the USA" crowd.

Drizzy

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2003
I'm chilled. :) I just get tired of people complaining about things but never offering any good resolutions. Sorry I just read yours and thought it went down the same pipeline I have been reading all day. Bash everything -good.. Construct anything -bad.