a tablet with built in GPS functionality like Garmin???

Status
Not open for further replies.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
is there a tablet out now or will be out soon with built in GPS functionality like a Garmin???
i need one that works independently of the carriers coverage. lots of times im in the middle of nowhere without cellular coverage anyways.
pls help!!!

el_brio

Mar 31, 2011
I have been wondering about this too. the best solution I can come up with is that you can use any wireless tablet that has a GPS chip in it but you need to download the maps before you go away from your wireless connection. you can get the maps from:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/
and then you need a program that uses the maps.

The main problem with this method is that map files are very large and using 3g to stream the map data to your device really is the best solution. You can always get a smart phone and teather your device to it I guess.

Anyone else have a better solution?

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
is there a tablet out now or will be out soon with built in GPS functionality like a Garmin???
i need one that works independently of the carriers coverage. lots of times im in the middle of nowhere without cellular coverage anyways.
pls help!!!

Any tablet with a gps? Just need software that doesn't need to download data. For android I believe MapDroyd is one.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using Tapatalk

Stang289

Oct 7, 2000
There are several apps for the iPad that have built-in maps and can be used without a data plan. I believe you loose out on real-time traffic updates without the data plan though.

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002
TomTom and Navigon have iOS apps and they are both 1.5GB in size due to the map data

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Wistech A81E apparently has full working GPS. I'll be able to verify this in a few days, as I'm trading some misc. junk closet stuff for one.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Almost all tablets have GPS. What you really need is a navigation program with offline maps.

Search for that, you will get closer results to what you actually want.

jswold

Aug 25, 2008
xoom

I know its expensive, and I would assume the new Asus or Acer tablets also have a GPS, but with the xoom you get a 3g radio so you can use Google's navigator. It works really well.. the other tablets, you would need a off line GPS maps.

Navigon sells an android app with off line maps.. I would assume it is exactly like their GPS units they sold a few years back.. my mom has a Navigon, and she loves it. but Navigon sells its app only in Europe :(.. the app was about $40 and I would be happy to buy it, except its not offered in the U.S.

I would recommend a 3g Xoom. As longs as you can get connected to a 3g service, your good.

Verizon usually has really good coverage... but you can't use googles navigation unless your connected.

Last edited:

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
are you sure the Asus transformer has built in GPS?? anand's review didnt mention it anywhere.
i will have to play around with the Samsung tab next time i see it! thanks

gabrieleme

Feb 1, 2012
I just got off the phone with the ASUS support team and the GPS that supposedly works, only works when connected to an interenet connection. They called it an "integrated GPS"
Bummer - I need to find another tablet....

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
I just got off the phone with the ASUS support team and the GPS that supposedly works, only works when connected to an interenet connection. They called it an "integrated GPS"

not so true. you can download map area even with google maps.
They have option under labs to preload 10mile radius areas at the time.

I just tested it, and it found my home.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

It was well reported that the Prime has a design flaw with the GPS. The antenna is behind an aluminum plate. Should be addressed in future hardware revisions, but for now the Prime pretty much doesn't have a GPS and Asus has removed it from the spec sheet.

RDAdams

Apr 24, 2013
Luckily there are a few tablets with built in GPS now. Motion computing has a CL900 and CL910, they also have built in broadband support. Xplore aslo has some with built in GPS and broadband. They are not cheap though.

Status
Not open for further replies.