A surprising way to fix auto-correct annoyances

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
A surprising way to fix auto-correct annoyances

Does your iPhone love to auto-correct to the word “I’d” instead of “if” and other annoying or inaccurate suggestions when you’re trying to type? Siri dictation is getting better and better, but for general typing, autocorrect isn’t always a friend. Some people say that autocorrect can go straight to he’ll.

This trick is somewhat unintuitive, but works surprisingly well:

Use longer words.

That’s right, don’t type “This is a good idea.” but instead type “This sounds reasonable” or “That’s excellent.”

You can even be MORE inaccurate but because there are fewer alternatives, the iPhone will guess with higher accuracy.

The longer the word, the more likely that it will be unique compared with other words in the same vicinity. Give it a try!

LOL.

MotionMan

stlcardinals

Sep 15, 2005
I find many people don't realize you can turn "Auto-Correction" off and leave "Check Spelling" turned on in iOS 5.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I find many people don't realize you can turn "Auto-Correction" off and leave "Check Spelling" turned on in iOS 5.

Most of the time I like it. But, sometimes it acts stupid.

I have friends like that, but I am not going to get rid of them. ;)

MotionMan

Feb 25, 2011
Autocorrect is trainable. I've just been training it.

So I can omit proper punctation, grammar, and spelling, and the iPhone handles it for me. I'm already reliant on it more than I'd like to be.

I only recently realized that OS X 10.7 does the same thing - I type fast enough it rarely has a chance to make a suggestion, so I hadn't noticed.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I turned off autocorrect in 10.7. Frickin' annoying with a real keyboard. I use it for my iPhone though. My spelling mistakes are from my fat fingers hitting the wrong keys.