A STEAMing pile

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
You most likely downloaded ~650 MB worth of patches. If you look at your Steam directory, you will see all the different bundles you've downloaded. My Steam DIR is something like 15 GB, so 650MB is rather trivial in comparison. Now, why did it take you so long to download 650MB? That I can't answer because it is your own problem.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
You should get Verizon FIOS, if you can. Then you should be able to get games on the fly with steam if I understand correctly on how it works.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I've played HL1 and enjoyed it immensely. I've never tried HL2 because of the Steam problems in the beginning. I'm considering giving it a try now because I've heard many of the early Steam problems have been ironed out. So whats the best way to play/install HL2? Buy the game at the local store and then register and update via Steam? I dont mind doing this and in fact would rather prefer this method if its a shorter method. I have great broadband connection so I should be okay with updates. I'm hearing you can play HL2 offline so how do I do go about this?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Skott
I've played HL1 and enjoyed it immensely. I've never tried HL2 because of the Steam problems in the beginning. I'm considering giving it a try now because I've heard many of the early Steam problems have been ironed out. So whats the best way to play/install HL2? Buy the game at the local store and then register and update via Steam? I dont mind doing this and in fact would rather prefer this method if its a shorter method. I have great broadband connection so I should be okay with updates. I'm hearing you can play HL2 offline so how do I do go about this?

I'd just buy it off Steam before I went to work or before I go to bed. That way it can DL when I'm gone. To play in offline mode, simply check the 'Offline Mode' box when starting Steam. Or click 'Go Offline' from the file menu inside Steam.

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Originally posted by: Skott

I'd just buy it off Steam before I went to work or before I go to bed. That way it can DL when I'm gone. To play in offline mode, simply check the 'Offline Mode' box when starting Steam. Or click 'Go Offline' from the file menu inside Steam.

yeah, also i believe that the hl2+ep1 pack is only 25 bucks. or if you can wait a little bit longer you can get the orange box which is hl2+ep1+ep2+tf2+portal for 50 bucks.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
I've used Steam since its release. It had some hiccups back then, but I literally haven't had a single issue with the service in the past 12-18 months. It's an invaluable gaming tool as far as I'm concerned. Cheap and fast.

Your listed problems tell me that either:

-- Your ISP is awful

-- User error (some settings, etc... SOMETHING you're doing wrong)

-- Absurdly awful luck

So... you're obviously allowed to make your STEAM-bashing thread, but don't expect the majority of us to care much because it's obviously a successful and functioning program.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
DEATH 2 TEH STEAMS!!!!

I hate how I can download a game while I sleep and wake up to play it, it's so much easier for me to drive to the store and wait in line, oh and hope they have the game in stock.

I also hate instant patching, and worst of all I don't have to put a CD in every time I play it. Damn Steam for getting things right! I want to go back to searching for patches and CD/CD's Keys when I misplace them!

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: xboxist
I've used Steam since its release. It had some hiccups back then, but I literally haven't had a single issue with the service in the past 12-18 months. It's an invaluable gaming tool as far as I'm concerned. Cheap and fast.
. . .

So... you're obviously allowed to make your STEAM-bashing thread, but don't expect the majority of us to care much because it's obviously a successful and functioning program.

So is Windows Vista ... but don't expect the bashing to stop

and i *finally* ordered broadband ... recently available in my area - i've had [it with] 7 years of 56K dial-up and my [unfair] share of 'Steam Problems'

so, i just got the Plantronics DSP-500 On-sale headset
[$32.90 shipped]

http://www.plantronics.com/cle....mc_id=SE460&WT.srch=1

- i finally look forward to fragging your asses in on-line gaming

... and you gotta remember the definition of "Steam"
A drip under extreme pressure

:D

I want to go back to searching for patches and CD/CD's Keys when I misplace them!
Just *don't* ever forget your Steam Password and change you e-mail address - as i did - or your games are lost forever [without the Receipt]
-fortunately i played HL2 and never expect to play it again and i get Ch1 - that i never finished -all over again with my [free] Black [Orange] Box
:confused:

samduhman

Jul 18, 2005

I want to go back to searching for patches and CD/CD's Keys when I misplace them!
Just *don't* ever forget your Steam Password and change you e-mail address - as i did - or your games are lost forever [without the Receipt]
-fortunately i played HL2 and never expect to play it again and i get Ch1 - that i never finished -all over again with my [free] Black [Orange] Box
:confused:[/quote]

Ouch, is this true? You forget your password and switch emails and you automatically lose everything! What about if you bought a store bought copy and this happens, will it work since you authenticate through steam?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Thanks for the feedback. So buying the game at the store and then updating through Steam isnt faster and more simple? Hmmm... That $50 Orange box deal sounds pretty good and considering I havent played HL2 at all I would be getting alot of game goodness out of it. I'm just a bit leary of the Steam program. Half the people I talk to say it sucks and other half say its worth it. I guess the only way to truly find out is take a gamble and see what happens. Thanks guys. :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: samduhman

Ouch, is this true? You forget your password and switch emails and you automatically lose everything! What about if you bought a store bought copy and this happens, will it work since you authenticate through steam?

Once you buy that retail copy and authenticate it thru Steam it is *tied* to your username and password. IF you forget your password, they will email it to your last email ... if you changed email providers, tough luck UNLESS you can find the RECEIPT.

so ... beware .. Steam can be a Fools' Paradise

and it looks like Orange Box Preorders are $45 at EBgames

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin

Once you buy that retail copy and authenticate it thru Steam it is *tied* to your username and password. IF you forget your password, they will email it to your last email ... if you changed email providers, tough luck UNLESS you can find the RECEIPT.

negative.

you can get a cd key reset.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
Originally posted by: apoppin

negative.

you can get a cd key reset.

of course ... but you still need to *prove* that you purchased the game ... without a receipt ... without the password ... or the original email ... i was SoL even though i have the original CD
... anyway i can only give my experience where i find it much easier just to get Orange Box all over again instead - for free ... so it doesn't bother me --and *this time* i will make SURE i remember my password and change my email address with them when i finally move to a broadband provider next month.

i am 100% certain i *could* find my HL2 receipt if i HAD to .. it just isn't worth it ... my POINT was to say don't lose your password - it is damn inconvenient.

And you can even transfer a license on Steam :p

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Well, I'm playing FEAR now and got Fear: Extraction Point to go through after that and then I got STALKER waiting to be installed. By the time I finish STALKER Bioshock will probably be out. So I'll hold off a little while until after I get caught up on some of these other games before trying HL2.

Kinda surprised Valve doesnt underprice places like EB since they can make more money via Steam than brick and mortar stores. Then pass the savings onto the consumer. I guess they got an arrangement with etailers and stores not to undercut their prices in the beginning.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
If you dont back up your passwords, then you have only yourself to blame for it.

edit, maybe Jihad, August 21st. Ive read that a few times, but have not seen anything official yet. I would guess, not right off the bat, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.