A STEAMing pile

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
what is this Orange Box everyone is talking about?
I have seen several people mention here but not anywhere else.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I actually like Steam,those old gamers here will remember when Steam was first launched and had a lot of teething problems/bugs etc... for the first year or so(I think most of us did experience some sort of problem back then) but right now its very solid and I can't find anything to complain about unless you are on dial-up ;) ,broadband is a gamers delight :).

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: 40sTheme
Your D/L speed sucks. I got HL2, HL2 Deathmatch, CS:S, DOD:S, and Garry's mod all D/Ling at the same time in 5 hours. Steam makes things very smooth.-

Your knowledge of my cable internet service sucks.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: pontifex

Used to be the Black Box, now it is the Orange Box: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05...ly-orange-box-remains/

Luckily I am still getting a free Black Box! :D

KT

Yep, one of the reasons I picked up the HL1 package was to test out steam to see if I wanted to pick up ole'orange box when it comes out.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Used to be the Black Box, now it is the Orange Box: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05...ly-orange-box-remains/

KT

actually i DO have the Valve Black Box which was included with my 2900xt
[HL2:Ep2/TF2/Portal] ... but i knew about the updated name

--and i expect they will take forever over 56K dial-up ... i expect to have something much faster by then ... hopefully it won't have to be satellite, looks like high speed wireless offers the better option [$59 a month ... or $79 a month including voice communications and i can dump Verizon and my landline which is about $35 a month

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin

KT

--and i expect they will take forever over 56K dial-up ... i expect to have something much faster by then ... hopefully it won't have to be satellite, looks like high speed wireless offers the better option [$59 a month ... or $79 a month including voice communications and i can dump Verizon and my landline which is about $35 a month

Well Poppin, that's what I meant by a free one. :p I actually have an extra one too; not sure what the heck to do with it...

Hopefully you will get a better connection soon so you can finally start playing multiplayer games.

Cheers,
KT

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: apoppin

KT

Well Poppin, that's what I meant by a free one. :p I actually have an extra one too; not sure what the heck to do with it...

Hopefully you will get a better connection soon so you can finally start playing multiplayer games.

Cheers,
KT

i will probably end up with two also :p

satellite would [still] suck for online gaming

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
Me and some friends downloaded Titan Quest and its expansion in a few hours while we played JKA over our Hamachi Network.

When we finished JKA, Titan Quest was ready. I have installed DoD:S and CS:S both in less than 2 hours recently.

So... I don't know what your talking about. Tough luck for you I suppose.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
STEAM used to bother me, but I deal with it because it's the only way to play the newer source games.

In retrospect, I'm was probably being unfair with my feelings about STEAM, as they don't force adware on you, nor does it really get in the way. The updating and having to run STEAM to play anything are the only minor annoyances you have to deal with. They really do have STEAM in place to make everything more convenient for you. The advertisements are the only things that really piss me off. I paid for the stupid game, stop showing me what else you have, I already know.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Originally posted by: manowar821
The advertisements are the only things that really piss me off. I paid for the stupid game, stop showing me what else you have, I already know.

Pretty sure you can turn those off under preferences if you like.

Oddly it's the only ad type thing I don't turn off because, well, I like learning about new games on Steam. Probably would have missed the CoH special otherwise.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Daverino
Originally posted by: manowar821
The advertisements are the only things that really piss me off. I paid for the stupid game, stop showing me what else you have, I already know.

Pretty sure you can turn those off under preferences if you like.

Well, now I feel dumb, thanks a lot. :laugh:

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
Yeah , This shit is steam. I just bought EP1 for 10 bucks , OK The DVD has 3.4GB of info for my game on it . Why is it taking me hours and hours to Play the frickin game ? It says I'm 60% complete wtf?

What is it you actually buy, that is almost 3.5GB's on the DVD and why am I waiting hours before I can Play? Please explain....

Does EP1 have over 650MB in patches or what ?

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: CrystalBay
Yeah , This shit is steam. I just bought EP1 for 10 bucks , OK The DVD has 3.4GB of info for my game on it . Why is it taking me hours and hours to Play the frickin game ? It says I'm 60% complete wtf?

What is it you actually buy, that is almost 3.5GB's on the DVD and why am I waiting hours before I can Play? Please explain....

:confused:

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: lupi
Originally posted by: 40sTheme
Your D/L speed sucks. I got HL2, HL2 Deathmatch, CS:S, DOD:S, and Garry's mod all D/Ling at the same time in 5 hours. Steam makes things very smooth.-

Your knowledge of my cable internet service sucks.

Yo, I've got cable internet.

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad

You may be confused Steam Fanboy But I still am waiting to play my game That I bought a 3:00 PM today. I also have a way good enough connection ...

Steam is telling me 650MB's before I can play. The problem is Steam IS BS...

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
What is on this DVD That I bought ? nothing but STEAM , I'm down loadindg the whole fukin game content that I just paid 10 dollars for on a disk.....

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad

You may be confused Steam Fanboy But I still am waiting to play my game That I bought a 3:00 PM today. I also have a way good enough connection ...

Steam is telling me 650MB's before I can play. The problem is Steam IS BS...

Dude WTH are you trying to say?

imhungry

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2005
I dunno about everyone else but I got CS 1.6, CS;S, and DoD all in under an hour if I remember right.

I do hate steam though, especially now with them incorporating ads into 1.6 servers.

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
comment removed

Personal attacks are against forum policy, please read about it here:
1) No trolling, flaming or personally attacking members. Deftly attacking ideas and backing up arguments with facts is acceptable and encouraged. Attacking other members personally and purposefully causing trouble with no motive other than to upset the crowd is not allowed.

-Schadenfroh