A sound card for a Gamer AND a musician...

zlady

Oct 28, 1999
Hi Everyone,
I'm upgrading my Win98 system to a 900mhz Thunderbird on an Asus A7V motherboard. Since this motherboard has no ISA slots, I'm bidding a fond farewell to my Guillemot Maxi Sound 64 Home Studio Pro sound card. All sound card manufacturers rave about the awesome sound of their sound cards so I trust other users more. I am a heavy gamer (mostly Everquest) and a musician so I'm looking for a replacement PCI card that absolutely MUST do three things and do them well.
First, it has to have REALLY nice wave table midi sounds (e.g. piano and drum sounds should sound like real piano and drums and not like a toy or a game).
Second, it needs to support DirectSound and whatever other popular standard there is for gaming compatibility (Everquest, Diablo II, etc...).
Third, I'd like it to have multiple drum kits.
Lastly, I'd like it to cost under $20, hehe.

Ok, ixnay on the cheapo price. I'd like to spend up to about $200 (the cost of my current card which I love so dearly *sniffle*) but more if I need to. Instrument sound and game compatibility are the two most excruciatingly important things.
Any suggestions for me? Thanks!

ZLady

BTW, I don't need additional ins/outs for recording outside sources, other than a normal "mic in", line in/out and speaker out.

Qzruh

Sep 19, 2000
My firstlove soundcard was MX300, it rocks with A3D, especially for 3D games, but since the Aureal is gone to heaven, I dont recommend you to buy the Vortex product.
I think you should get SBlive...for games and music
IMHO, Creative is the leader now, with it's support and compatibility.

Hecky

Banned
Dec 15, 2000
Zlady,
I have a Turtle Beach Quadzilla PCI card with good wavetable and with the daughterboard, great surround 3D acceleration too. Drop me an email if you want it. dkiffer@bigfoot.com

zlady

Oct 28, 1999
Thanks you guys,

Just in case anyone else might be looking for information, I ended up purchasing a Guillemot Game Theater XP for about $150. I like the fact that it has additional USB connectors, a joystick, speaker connections and MIDI connectors in that external box module thingy. And, I've had other XG sound cards that sounded pretty good. I haven't received it yet but I'll be happy to share my opinion once I've tried it out in a day or two....if anyone would like to know. I'm at LadyInBlue@techemail.com.

Zlady