A sobering read. Time is running out regarding climate change.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45775309

Big takeaway?

"After three years of research and a week of haggling between scientists and government officials at a meeting in South Korea, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has issued a special report on the impact of global warming of 1.5C.

This new study says that going past 1.5C is dicing with the planet's liveability. And the 1.5C temperature "guard rail" could be exceeded in just 12 years, in 2030.

We can stay below it - but it will require urgent, large-scale changes from governments and individuals and we will have to invest a massive pile of cash every year, about 2.5% of global gross domestic product (GDP), the value of all goods and services produced, for two decades."

Will we finally act, or are we just going to keep on ignoring the science.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well if it gets in the way of making a killing in the stock market or in making huge chunks of greenbacks selling oil by the barrels full, then all of these unsubstantiated dire warnings of the sky is falling is to be ignored until it can make more money than the 'ol reliable earth choking ways or it's too late to do anything about it.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45775309

Big takeaway?

"After three years of research and a week of haggling between scientists and government officials at a meeting in South Korea, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has issued a special report on the impact of global warming of 1.5C.

This new study says that going past 1.5C is dicing with the planet's liveability. And the 1.5C temperature "guard rail" could be exceeded in just 12 years, in 2030.

We can stay below it - but it will require urgent, large-scale changes from governments and individuals and we will have to invest a massive pile of cash every year, about 2.5% of global gross domestic product (GDP), the value of all goods and services produced, for two decades."

Will we finally act, or are we just going to keep on ignoring the science.
1.5C?! Trump admin admits 3.5C by 2100!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/d680ecbe-c34f-11e8-95b1-d36dfef1b89a

“The underlying analysis does reflect some semblance of what all of the evidence and all the climate models are telling us,” he said. “They are saying, climate change is real, we are on a catastrophic course, but we are not going to do anything about it …It is astonishing.”

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah, those scientists don't know what the hell they're talking about. Conservatives, champions of ignorance.

I believe we have the capability of altering our climate. No doubt about it. I think the consequences to humanity are overblown, though. Our real issue is our population explosion, climate change is but window dressing.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think you know the answer to this, we will continue to ignore the science. I mean the president is actively incentivizing the creation of additional greenhouse gasses.

So long as we are governed by morons who deny science we will continue to make things worse.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
I believe we have the capability of altering our climate. No doubt about it. I think the consequences to humanity are overblown, though. Our real issue is our population explosion, climate change is but window dressing.
And your degree is in...

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

I think you know the answer to this, we will continue to ignore the science. I mean the president is actively incentivizing the creation of additional greenhouse gasses.

So long as we are governed by morons who deny science we will continue to make things worse.

You guys are a little behind the times now. The Trump admins latest report admits climate change is happening and it will be bad we just won’t do anything about it.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004

The only hope is that this gets urgent enough that we decide to take it seriously. And by that, I mean vote in progressives that are ready to take action. Climate change needs to become this generations Manhattan Project.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The only hope is that this gets urgent enough that we decide to take it seriously. And by that, I mean vote in progressives that are ready to take action. Climate change needs to become this generations Manhattan Project.

In your opinion, what is going to happen from climate change? Stronger hurricanes? Sea level goes up a few feet? Polar bears die off?

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Common sense.
The problem with common sense is it is so often wrong. So you trust your common sense more than the opinion of thousands of scientist whose lives are spent studying issues related to the climate.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
1.5C?! Trump admin admits 3.5C by 2100!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/d680ecbe-c34f-11e8-95b1-d36dfef1b89a

“The underlying analysis does reflect some semblance of what all of the evidence and all the climate models are telling us,” he said. “They are saying, climate change is real, we are on a catastrophic course, but we are not going to do anything about it …It is astonishing.”

This is kind of amazing, but it does add a new line to the stages of conservative climate change denial:

8) climate change is real and catastrophic but it’s inevitable so do nothing.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Team red: "I'm not sure how to respond to this as I cannot find an effective way to attack 'The left', 'SJW', 'inner city blacks or it's short version.. Chicago', 'Hillary Clinton or any woman who has an informed opinion', 'Muslims', 'College students or Academia', etc etc while still staying on topic.

Reactions: hal2kilo

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The problem with common sense is it is so often wrong. So you trust your common sense more than the opinion of thousands of scientist whose lives are spent studying issues related to the climate.

In your opinion, what is going to happen from climate change? Stronger hurricanes? Sea level goes up a few feet? Polar bears die off?

What do you think will happen due to climate change? Please see my post right below your quoted post.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
end-of-the-world.jpg

You must include your own written commentary in P&N.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Who cares about my opinion? I care about the opinion of the experts. We are going to acidify the oceans. We are going to kill off all the coral reefs. We are going to cause increased flooding affecting hundreds of millions of people. We are going to alter weather patterns, making it more difficult to grow crops including wheat. We are going to continue to extend fire seasons, we are going to see more big hurricanes. There will be diminished summer snow pack in the mountains of the united states, causing water shortages. Just to name a few.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Nothing will change until the demographics controlling the vote are the ones that will live long enough to fully suffer from the effects. By that time it will be too late to halt the massive die off of species underway, and it will include billions of humans on that list. Young people are expected to only have slightly over a 25 percent participation in voting from what I read, they will regret later, that they failed to fight much harder, for their future, right now. Defeatism and apathy can be fatal.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

We can stay below it...

Say what? We can stay below it in just 12 years?
Atmospheric CO2 levels would have to DROP to 350ppm in 12 years.

Humanity needs a more... realistic goal. We need more support for renewables and emission reductions. But even with those we're damn near certain to CLIMB to 500ppm while we're doing it. Humanity is the titanic. But hey, at least there won't be any icebergs where we are going. :cool: