A small review of ASUS VH226H

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
These new Asus 1080p monitors are fairly new, and like many other people out there, I was wondering if I should buy one. I went ahead and ordered it, and now I decided to write some of my thoughts to save other people like me time when making purchase decisions. I don't really have any experience with writing reviews, and I am not a monitor guru, so keep that in mind, and remember that nothing I say is written in stone. Everyone has their own opinions.

Anyway, I just got my VH226H today. I'll start with the cons and move into the pros:

To be honest, I'm somewhat disappointed, since this thing is very wide but vertically it's not any bigger than my old 17" monitor! I couldn't imagine something like this to be the case prior to purchase but it is so. I feel cheated somehow. :( I put both monitors side by side for comparison and measured with a tape measure too. In fact, my old monitor actually seems slightly taller by about .1-.2 of an inch! Prior to purchase, I read that 19x10 monitors are a lot more wide than they are tall, but it so happens that they are ONLY very wide. (This is probably less so with 24" and bigger 1080p monitors)

That being said, I really cant complain since there's simply nothing else to choose from at this price when someone wants 2ms response, and decent quality. The closest competition from BenQ is at least $60-80 more especially if you factor in the shipping price, and the price of the DVI cable which is usually not included. LG and Acer simply don't offer anything in this league, (their offerings are either worse or much better, and more expencive) and the 16x10 2ms LG costs $309+the cost of shipping and DVI cable.

Overall, I'd say that this ASUS monitor is of a lot better quality than I expected it to be. In fact it is quite good. I saw a few folks complain about backlight bleeding, but if you ask me, it's barely noticeable, and lets not forget that we are dealing with a $200 TN monitor here! The VH226H is very light too! (great for lan parties) My 17" ViewSonic LCD feels a lot heavier.

Some people complained that the monitor feels like it's made of cheap materials and the buttons feel like they are going to fall through. I wouldn't say that at all! Maybe some of these people are comparing to their $500+ monitors, but this thing definitely doesn't feel "cheap" at all, and the buttons are quite sturdy. I don't notice much of a difference between this monitor and my old one when it comes to internet browsing(if any), but it feels nice to be able to put two large open windows side by side and have them fit into my monitor so well. (perks of such a damn wide screen) Text is slightly smaller and harder to read than on 16x10 monitors, but "slightly" is the key word here.
Fallout 3 seems to look better and sharper at 1080p as well... And that is only one game I tested so far. The biggest strength of this monitor is probably with HD movies and game consoles. Sadly, I cant say anything about any of this, since I do not own a game console and I don't have any HD movies to mess around with.

At $200, the ASUS VH226H is one hell of a good deal - nothing else even comes close at this price. Oh.. and no dead pixels! ;)

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have. I'll be happy to answer them. I hope my review was helpful to you.

PS: Checked newegg today, and the VH226H is back to $210 again. Still a good deal, but I am happy I ordered when I did. I bet the price will drop again in the very near future, as it already went up and down several times in the last two weeks.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Thx for your comments. I saw some Asus monitors recently in Best Buy, since they are starting to carry a few models now and they are very nice, and seem well made too -- certainly better than the Acers and Dells that Best Buy and Circuit City typically carry, IMO. I believe I saw the VH222H. Too bad they don't have a 19x12 24".

I have a BenQ V2400W on the way if the company store ever gets around to shipping it (looks like the warehouse went on vaca for about a week during xmas and they are backed up bigtime).

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
you shouldn't be dissappointed at the monitor for not being as "tall" as you expected. If you were to simply look up the height of the lcd panel and compare that to your 17in lcd prior to purchasing you'd be less surprised. And at the resolution of 1920x1080, how tall do you think a monitor can get? your 17in is probably 1280x1040?

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
So you bought it too. :p

Was your 17" 4.3 monitor?

I upgraded from a 2 year old 19" 16 by 10 monitor and the height is about same but I gained like 2" wide maybe more. If you watch movies 16.9 is just better because you get more viewing space than 16.10 monitor and whole lot bigger than 4.3 monitor.

It seemed small initially when comparing height of the monitor. As you play games on it it's really not small at all long as you play full 1080p 16 by 9 resolution. I played COD5 on this thing it beats my old monitor when it comes to clarity, contrast, brightness, detail, immersion, etc...

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Yes, my old monitor was a 4:3 "square" at 1280x1024. I actually gained a lot more than 2 inches in width - maybe 5 or 6. The difference is very significant. Right now I have my internet browser on the right and a few other apps on the left. Definitely something I couldn't do before.
Like I said, I cant complain, the monitor is very good - I'm just disappointed because I expected something a bit different. Part of it might be the fact that I NEVER owned a wide screen monitor before. It's really a trade off. If I bought a 16x10 monitor, I'd probably expect it to be somewhat wider. And with this one, I wish it was a bit taller. What matters is that it is definitely an improvement over my old LCD, and hopefully this is by far not the last monitor I'll ever own, so it's all good ;)

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Yeah my cousin's 16x10 22" 1680x1050 monitor seems bigger but in movies I have much bigger viewing space because movies are wider. Lot of TV shows fit perfectly on to the screen. A 16x10 monitor would have bars from top to bottom making the images smaller a 4x3 monitor would make the image much smaller. It is a trade off but the resolution and hdmi makes this monitor more attractive over 16x10 monitor.

Too bad Newegg doesn't refund anymore something like this. It's either limited same item trade and no refund. They used to be very good about returning products but now they are like everyone else.

There's Asus 23.5 monitor at newegg for $249.99 except it's 5ms refresh rate.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Originally posted by: ibex333
Originally posted by: theAnimal
1280x1024 = 5:4

Thanx.. I know little about these thigns so I assumed it's 4:3. :eek:

Originally posted by: Azn
Yeah my cousin's 16x10 22" 1680x1050 monitor seems bigger but in movies I have much bigger viewing space because movies are wider. Lot of TV shows fit perfectly on to the screen. A 16x10 monitor would have bars from top to bottom making the images smaller a 4x3 monitor would make the image much smaller. It is a trade off but the resolution and hdmi makes this monitor more attractive over 16x10 monitor.

Too bad Newegg doesn't refund anymore something like this. It's either limited same item trade and no refund. They used to be very good about returning products but now they are like everyone else.

There's Asus 23.5 monitor at newegg for $249.99 except it's 5ms refresh rate.

Yep, the vh226h was the best deal for the money any way you look at it...