A Scanner Darkly

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
So Bob Arctor was setup to get in to the recovery program. But what significance is his presence there? He finds the drug flowers but how will that change anything?

Why was he stuck looking at the naked girl and comparing her to Donna?

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: MAME
So Bob Arctor was setup to get in to the recovery program. But what significance is his presence there? He finds the drug flowers but how wil that change anything?

It's been a little while since I've seen it, but I thought they wanted him in the recovery camp so that they could basically plant a cop in there to take down the cartel. Since I guess he was a good cop, he would find out what was really going on there. They couldn't really fake someone having an adiction, so he really had to be adicted.

I have no idea about your second question.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I really tried to watch this movie, I did. After about a half hour, I wanted to stick toothpicks through my eyeballs, so I had to stop.

Hubes

Oct 25, 2002
from what i got it was the only way they could get an undercover in that rehab program to find out if they had drugs there.

Im not really sure about the girl as well.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
I really tried to watch this movie, I did. After about a half hour, I wanted to stick toothpicks through my eyeballs, so I had to stop.

Try the book, its pretty good.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: rockyct
So Bob Arctor was setup to get in to the recovery program. But what significance is his presence there? He finds the drug flowers but how wil that change anything?

It's been a little while since I've seen it, but I thought they wanted him in the recovery camp so that they could basically plant a cop in there to take down the cartel. Since I guess he was a good cop, he would find out what was really going on there. They couldn't really fake someone having an adiction, so he really had to be adicted.

is that really the conclusion? he was going to take down the cartel?

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
How about a warning that you're going to spew plot points in your post?

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
She told him to give her the blue flower. So, when he sees his friends, he's gonna give her the blue flower.

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: rockyct

it seemed that was the conclusion to me. he said something like 'i'll see my friends at thanksgiving' while holiding the flower.

as to your 2nd question, that part left me confused as well. i dont understand the significance of that scene.

ABitTooSpicy

Jun 30, 2004

From what I remember the idea was to get him in there and hopefully some instincts would kick in and he would bring back secrets. When he took the flower, I would think thats a potential clue that he will bring back to his friends...

The naked girl was Donna... she pretended to be someone else and slept with him (or so I understood it)... I forget why she did that

BTW - shouldn't this thread come with a spoiler warning??

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: DougK62

WARNING - you're a moron if you are worried about spoilers on a movie that's been out for more than a few weeks

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
As other have said, he became an addict and had his brain fried but he had enough neurons to collect a blue flower (substance D) to give to his friends (Donna) once they meet for Thanksgiving or something.

I thought the movie was crap when I first saw it, then I read the wikipedia and the movie grew on me. A lot of the author's friends were victims to drug addictions.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
So Bob Arctor was setup to get in to the recovery program. But what significance is his presence there? He finds the drug flowers but how will that change anything?

WARNING - you're a moron if you are worried about spoilers on a movie that's been out for more than a few weeks

WARNING- you're really freakin rude.

PrelateBishop

Jan 10, 2001
IMHO, that movie just plain sucked. The awful plot/storyline aside, the visual effects were no longer cool after about 10 minutes.

mlm

Feb 19, 2006

While he was instrumental, he was too far gone to be the one taking them down. They drilled the idea into his mind that he should bring home a flower for his girlfriend in the hopes that he would take the flower responsible for the drug.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: angminas

Rosebud was his bobsled bitch

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004

He was on a bobsled team?

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004

LOLOLOL

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark

He was on a bobsled team?

no

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Zolty
<blockquote>quote:
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
I really tried to watch this movie, I did. After about a half hour, I wanted to stick toothpicks through my eyeballs, so I had to stop.</blockquote>

Try the book, its pretty good.

Books are almost always better than the movies that are made from them.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
<blockquote>quote:
<blockquote>quote:

Why was he stuck looking at the naked girl and comparing her to Donna?</blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:
<blockquote>quote:

</blockquote>

WARNING - you're a moron if you are worried about spoilers on a movie that's been out for more than a few weeks</blockquote>

WARNING- you're really freakin rude.</blockquote>

post of the day. :thumbsup: I LOL'ed at work.

on topic: good movie, better book. Go read it. Some awesome quotes/passages in it. One of my favorite novels. Also one of the first times I've seen Keanu Reeves in a role that didn't annoy me.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003

It proves that the same people advocating and offering "treatment" are manufacturing the drug.

Because his brain was fried.