A-rod parts ways with the Yankees

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Gibson486
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
The Red Sox could easily afford him. Losing Lowell and Matt Clement frees up close to $20 million right there.

Arod is gonna want a long term deal (possibly 4 years). Red Six do not like to give anything above 3 years.....

Lugo got 4 and JD Drew got 5. ARod will want 8-10.

Drew really got 5? I thought it was 3.....man....Drew better step up then.....

Yeah. Lugo was 4 years for $36mil and Drew was 5 years for $70mil. Not money well spent.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
The Red Sox could easily afford him. Losing Lowell and Matt Clement frees up close to $20 million right there.

Arod is gonna want a long term deal (possibly 4 years). Red Six do not like to give anything above 3 years.....

yea he got 5, not bad IMO, he didnt have a amazing year this year but he was not horrid, and he came up big in the post season

Lowell will prob be offered a 3-4 year deal, yes its true that sox dont like to sign people to longer deals when they are older, but i think they might do it this time, hes been great all season and in the post season both offensivily and defensivilly

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000

Yeah. Lugo was 4 years for $36mil and Drew was 5 years for $70mil. Not money well spent.

Welll...I guess they could try Arod for 5 years for 125 milllion then dump Lugo somewhere (and eat up part of his contraqct and watch Lugo hit above .280 somewhere else).... 125 Million for Arod scares me, but I could see the sox pulling the trigger even though fans do not want him here.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
unless A-rod wants to reduce that pay he is going to have a hard time anywhere he goes.

he does not perform to a level that the pay demands (not saying is not great. hall of famer for sure). more teams would rather pass on him and get 2-3 great players then 1 overpriced elite one.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Based strictly on stats, A-Rod is not overpaid. His offensive numbers are the best, quite possibly the best ever when it's all said and done. Where A-Rod fails is in the leadership aspect, he doesn't seem to have the grit, will and determination to get his team where it needs to go during the playoffs when the pressure is on.

I'm guessing he'll end up with the Angels or Red Sox. If the Sox can afford to sign him without giving up Lowell, they could have one of the best starting lineups in the history of baseball ('27 Yankees anyone?).

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Man, I hope this blows up in Boras' face.
I can't imagine there's a team willing to pay him much more than what the Yankees offered.
It would be real nice seeing Boras crawl back to the Yankees and the Yanks telling him to shove it.

Yes, I know it's a fantasy.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: moshquerade
If the bosox get ARod I predict a curse being placed on their team.

yea the yankees will be cursed, in 100 years they will still be talking about it

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubis

yea the yankees will be cursed, in 100 years they will still be talking about it
nah. while i don't like see A-Rod going, i never got the feeling he was a team player.
we can revisit this thread, and see who was right.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: thepd7
I am just frikin stoked that the Rangers are saving $21 million, we are doing a good job of rebuilding right now maybe if we get some pitching we can actually win!

This morning Sportscenter said Texas might be one of the teams interested in A-Rod.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Anubis

nah. while i don't like see A-Rod going, i never got the feeling he was a team player.
we can revisit this thread, and see who was right.

i was pretty much being scarastic, i think the loss in the ALCS in 2004 hurt NY more then anything, and IMO itll be a few more years before they are fully back in the swing of things, not having Arod hurts as he is a great player however, not paying him is also great because NY can get some pitching which they desperatly need, and well as possibily sign some other young players and develop them.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Sox don't need or really want A-Rod.
IMO these guys are for the most part ridiculously overpaid, and it was the Yankees who fostered that. Good to see that after all this time their tactic came to bite them in the ass.

It won't happen, but I'd like to see A-Hole get signed- for half or less than he's asking.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
It's pretty ridiculous how ARod is already the highest paid player in MLB and now wants to be paid even more. It'll be interesting to see where he goes and for how much.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
IMO these guys are for the most part ridiculously overpaid, and it was the Yankees who fostered that. Good to see that after all this time their tactic came to bite them in the ass.

It won't happen, but I'd like to see A-Hole get signed- for half or less than he's asking.

It's not biting them in the ass. They said if he opts out they won't be part of his free agency circus. He made a choice, so they say goodbye. It's not like they desperately wanted him back at all costs.

IMO, Boras is trying to play the Yankees, trying to call their bluff, thinking they will negotiate now. I sincerely hope that Cashman and Hank Steinbrenner stick to their guns and don't become part of this process.

The guy is the best individual talent playing today, and maybe when it's all said and done, the best ever. But he is not a winning player. There is something about certain guys that make them winning players. A guy like Jeter, or Pedroia, David Wright or even Troy Tulowitzki, they have a certain winning vibe to them. It may sound crazy, but those kinds of guys make their teamates better. Arod is just not that kind of guy.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: ThePresence

It's not biting them in the ass. They said if he opts out they won't be part of his free agency circus. He made a choice, so they say goodbye. It's not like they desperately wanted him back at all costs.

IMO, Boras is trying to play the Yankees, trying to call their bluff, thinking they will negotiate now. I sincerely hope that Cashman and Hank Steinbrenner stick to their guns and don't become part of this process.

The guy is the best individual talent playing today, and maybe when it's all said and done, the best ever. But he is not a winning player. There is something about certain guys that make them winning players. A guy like Jeter, or Pedroia, David Wright or even Troy Tulowitzki, they have a certain winning vibe to them. It may sound crazy, but those kinds of guys make their teamates better. Arod is just not that kind of guy.

How does losing A-Rod benefit the teams playing? I don't see it.
It was the Yankees who promoted throwing money at players, driving the cost of acquiring them to the stratospheric levels we see these days. Now they have A-Hole (I like that as if you couldn't tell) ditching the Yankees because of the mentality they largely created.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
How does losing A-Rod benefit the teams playing? I don't see it.
It was the Yankees who promoted throwing money at players, driving the cost of acquiring them to the stratospheric levels we see these days. Now they have A-Hole (I like that as if you couldn't tell) ditching the Yankees because of the mentality they largely created.

Short-term, it does not benefit the Yankees. Losing a player of that caliber is not helpful. But it allows them to spend much more in other areas of need.

Sure, the Yankees are somewhat responsible for creating that type of marketplace, but it is Texas who gave him that obscene contract, not the Yankees. Either way, it doesn't matter. Ditiching the Yankees? Fine, goodbye. I don't see many Yankee fans terribly broken up over this.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
How could he just opt out of his contract if he had years remaining? :confused:

He had a clause in his contract that allowed him to do that.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
That doesn't sound like a very smart thing for the general manager to agree to include during the contract negotiations. :confused:
It's something he insisted on.
He had an apt-out option after a certain amount of years.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: ThePresence
That doesn't sound like a very smart thing for the general manager to agree to include during the contract negotiations. :confused:
It's something he insisted on.
He had an apt-out option after a certain amount of years.

JD Drew another Boras client, had the same clause in his contract with the Dodgers. He opted out with 3 years and $33 mil remaining to sign with Boston.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: thepd7
I am just frikin stoked that the Rangers are saving $21 million, we are doing a good job of rebuilding right now maybe if we get some pitching we can actually win!

This morning Sportscenter said Texas might be one of the teams interested in A-Rod.

It's a lie, Sportscenter obviously doesn't come to Texas too often. Tom Hicks is already unpopular as an owner and he knows exactly what Arod did to the Rangers. I honestly believe people in the metroplex (at least 25% of fans) would boycott the Rangers if they signed Arod. We have a good young core with good veteran leadership. We have decent offense. We need pitching.

I truly would not watch or attend another Rangers game while Tom Hicks is the owner if he signed Arod.