A-rod parts ways with the Yankees

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Hehe, I am not an A-Rod fan, but I love how he and his agent spit in Yankees management's face like that. What he is basically saying is that after Yankees fired Torre, there is no certainty in the next few years and he doesn't wanna be a part of it. What a quick payback for Yankees management for firing one of the classiest manager in baseball. Yankees management will be losing $21 mil that Rangers is paying towards a-rod's current contract. They will probably not find someone to replace his bat, at least in the regular season.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: SludgeFactory
I kind of doubt Boston goes after him. For all the money they spend, they're pretty smart about it.

So who's stupider, the Angels or the Cubs?

Angels or Dodgers. Until the Cubs ownership situation is resolved they can't commit to that sort of contract. It would be an albatross that would make it that much harder to find a buyer.

Yanks are out, they feel jilted
Red Sox are out, A-Rod jilted them to go with the Yanks
Cubs can't do it.
Mets won't do it.

That leaves the Angels or the Dodgers. Nobody else can afford it. It would be great to see nobody step up with that kind of money so he's forced to take a pay cut next year. It won't happen, but it should. He's not worth what he makes.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
The Red Sox could easily afford him. Losing Lowell and Matt Clement frees up close to $20 million right there.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Good, use the money to buy some pitching. A-Rod underperforms his cost.

Underperforms?
2007 Stats
HR RBI Runs
54 156 143

Good luck replacing that. He will go down as the greatest player of all time, and it won't even be much of a debate.

Yeah he will. It's too bad he can't perform under pressure.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: fallenangel99
I'm loving this, I can't wait for the Yankees to implode. Damn Yankee fans are everywhere in NJ

I dunno where you have been the last few years, but the Yankees haven't won anything with Arod. He folds like a cheap suit in the playoffs.

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: SludgeFactory
I kind of doubt Boston goes after him. For all the money they spend, they're pretty smart about it.

So who's stupider, the Angels or the Cubs?

Angels or Dodgers. Until the Cubs ownership situation is resolved they can't commit to that sort of contract. It would be an albatross that would make it that much harder to find a buyer.

Yanks are out, they feel jilted
Red Sox are out, A-Rod jilted them to go with the Yanks
Cubs can't do it.
Mets won't do it.

That leaves the Angels or the Dodgers. Nobody else can afford it. It would be great to see nobody step up with that kind of money so he's forced to take a pay cut next year. It won't happen, but it should. He's not worth what he makes.

When did A-Rod jilt the Red Sox? A-Rod agreed to change the terms of his 252 mil deal to go the Red Sox, and the Players Union blocked the deal. Granted A-rod later came out and said he'd only do it if it was within the guidelines the union agrees to. Still even if he said screw them, the issue would go to arbitration and its a toss up on the outcome.

link

drifter106

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2004
Originally posted by: jman19

Underperforms?
2007 Stats
HR RBI Runs
54 156 143

Good luck replacing that. He will go down as the greatest player of all time, and it won't even be much of a debate.

Yeah he will. It's too bad he can't perform under pressure.

It would be interesting to see him in a different environment and see how he performs.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
What a crappy time to announce that, trying to steal the Red Sox thunder, or just trying to fly under the radar?

I think it's part of the contract. End of season is the world series even if they don't make it.

And I agree, no baseball player should be making that much. It's just insane.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Goodbye Arod. I enjoyed watching him play every day, but goodbye. We've won without him, we haven't won with him. $230 million for 5 years is not enough to get him to sit down for discussions in Tampa. Good bye. We can use that money elsewhere.

Bring back Scott Brosius.

Real classy of Boras to leak this today and steal the Redsox thunder.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: ThePresence

Good to see him mentioned...I lived a couple houses down from him in McMinnville, OR years ago when he was with Oakland - great guy and a hell of a clutch performer.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Regs
What a crappy time to announce that, trying to steal the Red Sox thunder, or just trying to fly under the radar?

I think it's part of the contract. End of season is the world series even if they don't make it.
And I agree, no baseball player should be making that much. It's just insane.

I could be wrong, but I think he had up to 10 days after the world series end to make any type of announcement.

Either way, I don't think that it takes it away from the Sox's thunder

happybelly

Dec 4, 2004

Underperforms?
2007 Stats
HR RBI Runs
54 156 143

Try to read the entire thing and not just the words you like. He underperforms HIS COST. You can get 90% of his production for 1/3rd the cost and have $20 million left over to spend on pitching. I'm not sure if you actually understand baseball or just quote stats, but if you've been watching it's pitching that wins world series, not 3rd basemen who disappear in October.

90% of his stats would be 48 HR, 140 RBI and 128 runs. 1/3 of 27 Million would be 9 Million. Good luck signing somebody with those numbers for that price.

Everybody underperforms their contract in today's market. At least Arod is a super star. If you want to look at a real underperformer, look at Barry Zito.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

I agree, his agent HAD to release this during a WS game?? Please Sox, re-sign ML,
and stay away from this self-centered poison pill

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
I am just frikin stoked that the Rangers are saving $21 million, we are doing a good job of rebuilding right now maybe if we get some pitching we can actually win!

Mojoed

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2004
The timing of this announcement was horrible... Stole some thunder from game 4 tonight imo.

Anyway, as a Red Sox fan, I'd rather have a pitcher at 20m and Mike Lowell at 10-12 million per year at 70-90% the production of Arod, than have Arod at ~30 million a year.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
He was rumored to be talking with the Cubs. I don't know why that rumor hit the news a couple weeks ago, when he was still under contract with the Yankees, I'd think he wouldn't be allowed to talk to other teams at that point. But anyways, he'd be getting back together with Lou Piniella. Would be weird though having the only two presumably clean 40/40 men in the entire history of the game, together - and they both suck in post-season play...

There's really no free agent pitching to pick up this off season. The Cubs need starting pitching. They've got a whole staff full of great potential, but they are all self-destructive head cases. :( But on the other hand, maybe a good regular season hitter would get more runs earlier and calm down the pitchers, giving the Cubs a shot next year.

The Cubs are in a pickle ownership-wise, but that didn't prevent Zambrano from signing a big deal. Actually, the way things are progressing, appears no ownership change will take place this off season. So who knows.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Yanks better hope they can resign Posada.

On another note, doesn't Hank Stienbrenner seems like he's cut from the same cloth as his father? What a wanker.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS METS :D

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Goodbye Arod. I enjoyed watching him play every day, but goodbye. We've won without him, we haven't won with him. $230 million for 5 years is not enough to get him to sit down for discussions in Tampa. Good bye. We can use that money elsewhere.

Real classy of Boras to leak this today and steal the Redsox thunder.

100% agreement.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
The Red Sox could easily afford him. Losing Lowell and Matt Clement frees up close to $20 million right there.

Arod is gonna want a long term deal (possibly 4 years). Red Sox do not like to give anything above 3 years.....

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Gibson486

Arod is gonna want a long term deal (possibly 4 years). Red Six do not like to give anything above 3 years.....

Lugo got 4 and JD Drew got 5. ARod will want 8-10.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Gibson486

Arod is gonna want a long term deal (possibly 4 years). Red Six do not like to give anything above 3 years.....

Lugo got 4 and JD Drew got 5. ARod will want 8-10.

Drew really got 5? I thought it was 3.....man....Drew better step up then.....

I can't imagine any team (besides the Yanks) that would take Arod for that long. Also, if gets that, you think he will put a no trade clause in ?