A rare, reasonable take on global warming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Pretty much speaks for itself. It's nice to hear from somebody who isn't pushing a political agenda from one side or the other. His comment about the debate having become religified is absolutely true.

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/12/on-astronauts-nasa-and-climate-concerns/

As you know, this is a subject which I feel has become so “religified” (having been converted to religious belief (personally created word) on both sides of the issue, that I assiduously avoid it altogether. I am not a climatologist (nor a meteorologist) and have no real scientific qualifications to comment on the substance of the debate.

And… I suspect that the same goes for most of the signatories of this letter. And I suspect it would also apply equally to another poll, if one were to care to take it, of the hypothetical signatories to an analogous letter congratulating NASA for taking a courageous stand and urging it to speak even more strongly.

As you know Andy, this is a complex issue indeed. My personal policy is to reasonably minimize my carbon footprint, on the precautionary principle, not because I know CO2 is responsible for the apparent global temperature increase. But I would also opt not to “break the bank” in minimizing societal CO2 production. We’re going to have to adapt to a warming world… and I think more effort ought to be put into looking into rational strategies to that end.

Status
Not open for further replies.