A question for mountain bikers...

WhoDeeny

Nov 9, 2001
I'm about to upgrade to a new bike, either a Specialized FSR XC Comp or Disc and I have a question to ask: I've always heard its not a good idea to get disc brakes wet, is that true? Also, if I were to go with disc brakes is there anything I should know about ahead of time (I.E. addt'l brake mait, etc...)?

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
I've never heard anything about not getting the discs wet. I mean, hell, it's a mountain bike right? Stuff's gonnna get wet and muddy. Sure, you need to clean and lube things after a sloppy ride, but you need to do that with regular brakes as well. If anything, one of the big advantages of discs is that they are actually better than cantis in sloppy conditions.

Otherwise, I'd do some reasearch on discs by various manufacturers to see if there are any that should be avoided. Also, make sure you won't have any weird compatability issues fitting the brakes to the frame/fork you choose (although everything is pretty much standard now, IIRC).

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
I've always heard its not a good idea to get disc brakes wet, is that true?
I'd like to know that as well. My primary reason for wanting to go to disc brakes is because I almost always ride in the rain or mud. It's more fun!

Regular brakes thrash the sides of my rims when they get all muddy. :(

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Disc brakes are GREAT.

Getting them wet is NOT a problem. (Though Do avoid getting OIL on them)

Two big advantages of disc brakes.

#1 If your wheels get out of true it will not effect your braking.
#2 You will not get rim wear from the brake pads rubbing on the wheels.

One down side. Replacement pads tend to cost more than "Normal" brake pads.

Also from my experience, disc brakes tend to modulate better than "V" brakes and they have less of a tendency to want to toss you over the bars.

mk52

Aug 8, 2000
Yep they are great but also expensive

The very first disc brakes for mb bikes had decreased braking performace when wet but development has come long way since. Current models can perfectly handle any condition and offer the highest performance wet or dry.

Just make sure to get hydraulic disc brakes and not mechanical ones.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Hydraulic. Disc are going to cost you a lot more than Cable actuated ones though.

The AVID Ball bearing (I'm pretty sure that's what there called at any rate) are rated the #1 cable operated disks out there though. I've used them. and they are VERY GOOD brakes.

I'm running Deore Cable disks and like them just fine. I like things simple (less to go wrong, easier to fix) so I prefer cable actuated disks myself.

Ranger

Oct 9, 1999
Link
I am looking at this as an upgrade this winter for my
Specialized Hardrock A1 Comp FS
Andy

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
I'd be whipping out the credit card right now if I knew they would fit my frame and hubs. I doubt it though. I'll have to take a look at it a little later. :)

WhoDeeny

Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
Hydraulic. Disc are going to cost you a lot more than Cable actuated ones though.

The AVID Ball bearing (I'm pretty sure that's what there called at any rate) are rated the #1 cable operated disks out there though. I've used them. and they are VERY GOOD brakes.

I'm running Deore Cable disks and like them just fine. I like things simple (less to go wrong, easier to fix) so I prefer cable actuated disks myself.

First off let me say thanks for all the responses! I've been doing some web research and everything I've found thus far leans towards hydraulic discs but I totally agree with Brutuskend, however $ isn't really an issue at the moment and where I intend to buy it will do most of the service for me.

On another note, since having decided to get the Stumpjumper FSR XC Disc, I can't find any!!!! Every store in Austin is sold out of the stumpjumpers! Anyone got one in good condition to sell me? :D

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
One big disadvantage to disc brakes is AFTER A LONG PERIOD OF USAGE THEY WILL BE HOT AS HELL. I saw a picture of a guy who had a flat after a long downhill and when he took off the wheel to fix it he leaned the hot rotor against his leg. It was a nice scar.