A question for both the left and right leaners out there

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Point out a single thing you've done that's actually a POSITIVE for this country.

You on the left have spent trillions on dollars on your "war on poverty" and all your other shibboleths, and look where it's gotten us. Our inner cities look like scenes from Third World nations. I've seen neighborhoods in Mogadishu that are nicer than the inner cities that are the recipients of your pity and largesse. And yet you complain that we don't spend nearly enough and fret that without you and your spending, that things would be soooooooooo much worse. WTF? How does it get worse than a place like Camden, NJ or Compton, CA?

You on the right have spent trillions on your "war on drugs," the fight against abortion, "family values," and all your other pet projects, and where has it gotten us? Four-fiths of marriages end in divorce, millions imprisoned for simple drug possession, 70% of black children are born out of wedlock, and an obsessive focus on the most useless bits of the cultural wars going on in this country (like worrying about whether someone is burning a flag or "God" stays in the Pledge of Allegiance).

So please, someone, anyone, on either the right or left, can you please tell me something, anything you've done lately that you can point out as a point of pride, something you've done that will be a long-term positive for this country?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: glenn1
Point out a single thing you've done that's actually a POSITIVE for this country.

You on the left have spent trillions on dollars on your "war on poverty" and all your other shibboleths, and look where it's gotten us. Our inner cities look like scenes from Third World nations. I've seen neighborhoods in Mogadishu that are nicer than the inner cities that are the recipients of your pity and largesse. And yet you complain that we don't spend nearly enough and fret that without you and your spending, that things would be soooooooooo much worse. WTF? How does it get worse than a place like Camden, NJ or Compton, CA?

You on the right have spent trillions on your "war on drugs," the fight against abortion, "family values," and all your other pet projects, and where has it gotten us? Four-fiths of marriages end in divorce, millions imprisoned for simple drug possession, 70% of black children are born out of wedlock, and an obsessive focus on the most useless bits of the cultural wars going on in this country (like worrying about whether someone is burning a flag or "God" stays in the Pledge of Allegiance).

So please, someone, anyone, on either the right or left, can you please tell me something, anything you've done lately that you can point out as a point of pride, something you've done that will be a long-term positive for this country?
We routed Al Queda and the Taliban in Afghanistan

Odoacer

Jun 30, 2001
The right saved us all from the Soviets.

edit: well, I don't know how "lately" you want it to be, but there you go. We also freed the slaves, but that might be stretching it abit.

zod

Oct 10, 1999

I lean left, but some of your statements condemning the right seem incorrect. 80% of marriages end in divorce? seems high, maybe i'm naive.

What has the left done? I don't know how lately you want, so here's some stuff that liberals have done.

Civil Rights, end of segregation. Kennedy, LBJ, MLK. Who was mostly against civil rights? Conservatives.

Interstate Highways. Roosevelt proposed this HUGE government project, and I think it worked out pretty well (and defined the modern American culture).

Labor Laws. What? You don't like government cracking down on commerce? Tell that to the 12 year old working 40 hour weeks or a think of a country without organized labor at all.

Anti-pollution/environmental laws. Liberals sometimes may go to far, but my city isn't terribly smoggy, and gas mileage minimums are a good thing. Bald eagles are still around, too.

Social Security. Problems now, but a good idea and has worked for decades.

Kennedy said lets go to the moon. We did. Go us.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001

If the left didn't put money towards the poor, yes, we'd be seeing a lot worse than you see today. I mean, its not like we give the aid money to a suspicious company like Haliburton and get 'influential' lobbys from the YMCA.

On the other hand. The world would be pretty much the same if the right hadn't done those pet projects you mentioned.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I had a long post why this country is great. From landscape to it's people//.. But I'll just sumerize financial aspects...
Since that's your specialty and maybe you can add some..

It's really easy to get capital relative to other countires. (SBA, liberal lending laws, fannie mae, etc)
It's really easy to get out of debt if you fail (bankruptcy)
Investments are generally protected more than anyplace (FDIC, SEC police)
Everyone can go to school anytimre in you life any profession you want (Pell, etc)
We have some of the lowest costs for capital too.. ( from prime...to mortgage rates)
Our currency is stable due to .mil and federal reserve

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Go to some other country, and you will see that US is still better than the most in many aspects.

What has the left done? Without the left balancing the warmongering from the right, Cuba crisis could have ended in US and Russia lauching nuclear missles at each other and we could've been enjoying nice nuclear winter right now.

What has the right done? Right should probably be credited for the free economy that we enjoy and one of the least restricted where everyone have a chance to be successfuly in this economy.

The trick is to find a balance between the left and the right so that the country doesn't move too much either way.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
I dont think you would have nearly as many people left or right if they could only FIND the middle. As long as there are too many people on one side of the boat you will find those who run to the other side to try to balance it before it tips completely and sinks.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: mastertech01
I dont think you would have nearly as many people left or right if they could only FIND the middle. As long as there are too many people on one side of the boat you will find those who run to the other side to try to balance it before it tips completely and sinks.

Good posts guys.

I've been saying for a few years now how both the parties are broken and corrupt, causing so much rocking of the boat that the boat can no longer move forward.

I don't see in the near future how the rocking could be slowed down enough for the boat to move forward in the water again other than a revolt. Having that boat sink and built a new one.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

We routed Al Queda and the Taliban in Afghanistan

That was action from the "Far Right"? Hardly...

What were the numbers that supported action in Afghanistan?