A post 9/11 United States

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
I think conservatives, liberals, and moderates should look at the state the US is in after 9/11.

We can keep arguing about Clinton, Bush, or about the war... but how about at home?

The possiblility of war, terror attacks, SARS infection, we see it on the news all the time. The heighten security levels, just the whole mood of the country. Its a atmosphere of complete fear thats been created since 9/11.

I see it everywhere and I try to act normal about it but I can't help but feel uneasy.

This article by Salon.com basically sums out the situation pretty well, it has a more liberal slant to it but if you keep a open mind you'll see how a war on terror is getting out of control...

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2003/04/18/patriot_act/index.html

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Possibility of war? Only if we start it.
Terror attacks? They got one good one in, I'm not worried.
SARS? More people die every year from the flu. Exciting because it's new but a vaccine will be discovered soon.

The government thrives on paranoia though, they're doing a good job of propagating it.

steell

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2001
Its a atmosphere of complete fear thats been created since 9/11.
Everyone that I know wants to kick butt and take names! I certainly have seen very little in the way of fear.
Personally I think some of the security measures have gone to far.

What area of the US are you talking about? I am in Indiana.

I read the free part of the article, but I am not going to subscribe or watch some ad to get to the rest of it.
If you are talking about fear of the US government because of the rights that we have allowed them to take away, then I will have to get back to you later :)

bolinger

Apr 16, 2003
sMiLeYz, you seen Bowling For Columbine yet? The Oscar-winner for Best Feature-Length Documentary? Check it.

I'm not really worried about war because if one happens, it will most likely be initiated by the US, and it will most likely be on foreign soil. Since I'm not in the military, I could care less if Bush sends soldiers to die for empty causes thousands of miles away.

SARS? Actually, the US version of the virus has been dubbed MARS, because it is noticably weaker than the Asian strain. Not worried.

Terror attacks? I'm sorta worried about that; the US has done enough to infuriate a thousand Bin Laden wannabes across the globe. If one of them is actually smart enough to get past our barriers, we're in trouble, but I don't expect it to come anytime soon.

The only real downer for me nowadays is the sad state of the economy, and the poor form of our public services (like health care and education).