A Pole. Who comes out on top of the Biden/Ryan debate?

Who wins?

• Biden

• Ryan

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Yes, "pole" was a deliberate misspelling.

The question concerns the VP debate how public opinion as expressed through the polls in the same manner as how the Presidential debate was measured.

Which candidate will come up overhead if you have an opinion as to why, what is it?

NOTE THIS IS A PUBLIC POLL.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Title says Romney :D

I dont know who will come out on top. But this debate i will watch pretty closely. I think it may be more interesting than the presidential debate. Seems the gloves come off a bit more in the VP debates. And quite honestly I am looking forward to the gaffe a minute Biden. He is entertaining all by himself.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Title says Romney :D

I dont know who will come out on top. But this debate i will watch pretty closely. I think it may be more interesting than the presidential debate. Seems the gloves come off a bit more in the VP debates. And quite honestly I am looking forward to the gaffe a minute Biden. He is entertaining all by himself.

Heh, a little too quick on my part. Romney, Ryan- eh, aren't they related or something?

;)

Thanks to those who pointed it out.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ryan has a hilarious way of blatantly lying about who he is and the details of his easily-researched policies.

so, of course he will win in the court of 5-hour attention spans ;)

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I think the strategy for Obama's debate was to not elevate Romney by having Obama attack him. (He still did poorly, but there must have been a reason he didn't attack on the soft spots of the 47% quote and all that.)

However, I bet that this debate will have the opposite strategy: Biden will be prepped to shred as much of the Romney/Ryan plan and theory as possible. No idea personally if Biden is equipped to do it, but even politicians "known" for being unintelligent are usually pretty wily. He'll do fine.

Edit: I'm voted Biden for the record; not sure I fully believe he'll "win" but I'm interested in if my theory holds.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I think Ryan will edge out Biden on presentation, which is all that matters in debates. My only uncertainty is as to the degree of it.

Feb 10, 2000
I think there is some potential for an expectation-based upset here - kind of the converse of the Presidential debate - because prevailing opinion would expect Ryan to win. We shall see. Biden is certainly prone to saying goofy things, but I think he merits more respect than he gets from the right. Biden is not a dumb man, and he has decades of experience. If Biden gets hammered it could have major adverse consequences for the President's campaign. Should be interesting in any case.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Honestly. At this point Ryan. He can sit there and pretty much puppet all the answers. Because of the last debate, Team Obama now has more to prove. Sad really because I don't think this is what makes for good vetting of the VP candidate.

Also, Biden won't disappoint fulfilling the role as loose cannon I'm sure.

:)

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Not sure, either one of them could overstep and become unhinged in their method of attack.

Ryan may not be the salesman that Romney is. Biden might screw the pooch, the debate mod, and Obama.

It's a toss up until it happens.

JoeyP

Aug 2, 2012
Biden: will mention big bird and emit at least 3 gaffes

Ryan: will mention "buried" and "failed policies" at least 4 times

Both will provide plenty of ammunition for a SNL skit.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If Biden prepares properly it should be a slam dunk. You know the softballs are coming. We all know how to refute them in under 90 seconds. Biden should know this stuff, too.

For an example of how Democrats should be debating, see the 1st Murphy-McMahon debate. Pinned her down into admitting she is pro choice and pro gay marriage and huge lols watching her try to keep a straight face while saying she opposes a ban on same sex marriage.

Last edited:

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Biden is known for making gaffs true, but not for being a bad speaker, he just says dumb shit when he speaks of the cuff. It all comes down to if Ryan lies near as much as Romney (which would take some major effort) did in his debate. And if Biden is willing to call bullshit where Obama did not.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Biden is known for making gaffs true, but not for being a bad speaker, he just says dumb shit when he speaks of the cuff.

For the most part, debating is less like the former and more like the latter in your statement. That is, of course, if one doesn't get questions ahead of time. :sneaky:

Should be a good show.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Biden has a way of coming across as that goofy old uncle everyone knows is an idiot but is nice. I think he'll use that to his advantage and 'win'.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
121011_paul_ryan_time_mag_328.jpg

Ryan and Biden meeting and posing for pictures before tonight's debate.

;)

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I think Biden because I remember in the 2008 debates or maybe it was 2004 (for democratic nom), but NOT the one against Barbie, he did a good job. He comes across as competent and knowledgeable and likable. He won't be pushed around like Obama was, that I can guarantee.

If Ryan makes Biden look like a fool I'll eat my shorts. Cheney made Edwards in the VP elections look like a total weakling. Maybe Biden could do that here to Ryan, but I don't think he will, he's generally too pleasant.

Don't forget Biden is 69 and Ryan 42 or something. Biden was literally doing this when Ryan was breast feeding.

I have a very small man crush on Biden. Small, but it's real.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't know and you can bet your ass that if I don't know nobody knows.

I could, however, project some unconscious feelings I have onto the coming debate, engage is wishful thinking, or regurgitate a pile of shit I picked up listening to pundits, etc.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I'm expecting both sides and their supporters to claim victory. I think polls of the public will be pretty close.

I'm also expecting a lot of red meat to be thrown out, particularly by Biden to get the Dem base excited. They seemed let down by Obama's 1st debate performance, so they'll want to get them revved up.

Fern

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I'm going with Biden. He is competent, experienced, and likeable. If Ryan starts with his Pinnochio act again, I suspect that Biden may earn his reputation as a loose cannon, completely destroying Ryan in the process. Ryan is the variable here. The more timid/vague he is about his policies, the better he will do. Biden is the known value.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
As if vice-presidential debates ever really influence an election.

I wouldn't say that, the 2008 (DERP FIXED!) election ended up being tremendously about the VP simply because of the Palin pick by McCain.
The VP debate showed exactly how poor of a choice she was.

I'm expecting both sides and their supporters to claim victory. I think polls of the public will be pretty close.

I'm also expecting a lot of red meat to be thrown out, particularly by Biden to get the Dem base excited. They seemed let down by Obama's 1st debate performance, so they'll want to get them revved up.

Fern

I agree with you Fern.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I wouldn't say that, the 2004 election ended up being tremendously about the VP simply because of the Palin pick by McCain.
The VP debate showed exactly how poor of a choice she was.

2008, but yeah, I was thinking the same. We already knew enough about Sarah Palin, and we had already seen her get slaughtered by softballs hurled by none other than Katie Couric (that was lol)....but the appearance of her up on stage against Biden was historically embarrassing.

I think most people tend to like a guy like McCain--he was the type of conservative that I once could have voted for, but his courting of the fringe whackos in 08 (not that I entirely believe this to be who he was) was disconcerting for many, but the mere thought of a person like Palin being a broken hip away from the White House more forcefully turned this country against that campaign. Such a shameful display, for this country, that such a large political party could so openly endorse such a blatantly incompetent, and dangerous individual as potential presidential material.