A physics/computer question about TRON 2.0

bmews

Mar 22, 2011
I watched the TRON 2.0 movie and have a couple of physics/computer questions. I'm not at all a linux person so pardon if these questions are a bit dumb...

First I'd like to start off does anyone know what is the FONT on this timer? I'd like to make my own simplistic screensaver that counts UP from the moment it is activated, though I doubt I'd leave my computer on for 20 years. I'd like to know the exact font used if possible.

Next, this is a computer and physics question. It seems like all the NPC in TRON 2.0 system were AI to the point of being as smart as a human. The IBM Blue Brain Project ( http://bluebrain.epfl.ch/ ) predicts that it would take more than all the total computational power in the world combined in order to functionally emulate/simulate a human brain on the cellular or molecular levels. So how is it possible that TRON had like thousands of programs (NPC humans) and yet it seems to be running SolarOS 4.0.1 i386 ? The system only has 2.5 GB of RAM and its CPU is 85% idle? Really now? I was playing the latest SIMS with a better system and it was still slowing me down. And at the end of the movie the dude storaged entire Tron system on his SD card? That's like putting a human brain onto a floppy disk.

Did they have to work some procedural magic like that 96kb 3d fps game? ( http://theprodukkt.com/ ) Maybe a polymorphic algorithm that somehow found a way to interface and tap into the vacuum space to use ZPE (zero-point energy) to sustain the system itself for 20 years?

Perhaps qualia is the lowest domain of reality and most direct to source, and in fact it is the notion of a rhetoric 'physicality' of the physical universe that is analytical overlay and emulation? The universe itself is the ultimate computing with the laws of physics doing the raw computing (individual atoms, quarks, etc) and so any computer is actually a second-order emulator. Therefore Hypervisors such as Xen http://xen.org/ are actually second or even third-order emulators. Maybe they found out a way to directly reprogram the physical universe at the rawest layer by manipulating qualia itself?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Was Tron 2.0 a SCI FI movie or was it a documentary? Of course none of it is possible.

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
Couldn't say the font, but looks pretty generic... Of fonts I have on office only consolas will put the slash through the zero.

As for the computer... who says it's just not a terminal for whatever is actually running it?
Oh and the best compression you have never heard of, seriously its a movie. :p

Last edited:

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
High_Tron.jpg

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
Forgive Anubis. He is attracted to FNGs. It's like chum to a shark. Where you are the chum and he is the shark.

Having said that, do you know where I can get an alternator sized container of bulk beef online?

Ok, I need to apologize for that post. I have decided to sack myself.

Having said that, I (not the guy who posted above, but a different guy) think that the (loveli moose) font used is (kum see the loveli laakes)

I apologise for that post too. The person responsible for sacking that person has now been sacked.

And now...the spankings!

Ok, in all seriousness...the best place to go for online fonts would probably be google.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
"I've always wondered what it looked like inside the system.. Nobody really knows...."

That was about the point where it really sunk in that this movie is about as far from reality as possible.

Yep, nobody knows how computer parts work together. Engineers just throw stuff together and hope that it works correctly. They have no clue how the APU, FPU, or Integer units works....[/sarcasm]

Please, just enjoy the movie for the plot line and ignore everything it has to say about how computers work or what happens inside computers.

My biggest kick from the movie came from them talking about genetic algorithms and then showing 3d extreme renderings of dna...lol.

bmews

Mar 22, 2011
Couldn't say the font, but looks pretty generic... Of fonts I have on office only consolas will put the slash through the zero.

As for the computer... who says it's just not a terminal for whatever is actually running it?

But unless time travel was involved, it still had to be made using 1985's technology. So now matter how efficent the AI algorithm, I don't see how the visionary father could have done it. Even Steve Job's first Apple Newton was a failure.

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
Who ever said time travel wasn't involved? :p
Besides 1985 alien tech could be like our million year from now tech if we don't kill ourselves off first. :p
So maybe his visionary father was just someone in communication with aliens, or maybe even one. :eek:

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Besides 1985 alien tech could be like our million year from now tech if we don't kill ourselves off first. :p
So maybe his visionary father was just someone in communication with aliens, or maybe even one. :eek:

He was the great Xenu Himself!

bmews

Mar 22, 2011

Well the architecture couldn't have been silicon based because even Intel is reaching those limits now. So what? Quantum computing? Aliens or not, the laws of physics still apply.. or did they find a way to alter that too? Maybe the physical world is a like a matrix of sorts and the father simply lived in a higher world.. It is like that movie "the 13th floor", so Tron is actually like TWO or three levels down (aka inception but it is not a dream) so that is how he could "bend" the laws of physics, because those laws weren't set in stone...

Last edited:

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Well the architecture couldn't have been silicon based because even Intel is reaching those limits now. So what? Quantum computing? Aliens or not, the laws of physics still apply.. or did they find a way to alter that too?

What are you talking about? Intel is predicting that they can use silicon all the way down to the 11 nm node using current processes.

As for physics. Its a movie, they never needed to apply.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Well the architecture couldn't have been silicon based because even Intel is reaching those limits now. So what? Quantum computing? Aliens or not, the laws of physics still apply.. or did they find a way to alter that too? Maybe the physical world is a like a matrix of sorts and the father simply lived in a higher world.. It is like that movie "the 13th floor", so Tron is actually like TWO or three levels down (aka inception but it is not a dream) so that is how he could "bend" the laws of physics, because those laws weren't set in stone...

You are probably the most determined troll we've had here in a while.

bmews

Mar 22, 2011
What are you talking about? Intel is predicting that they can use silicon all the way down to the 11 nm node using current processes.

As for physics. Its a movie, they never needed to apply.

We already at 35nm. So 11nm is on the same order of magnitude. Not even enough to simulate any human brain or even a earthworm brain for that matter.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I watched the TRON 2.0 movie and have a couple of physics/computer questions. I'm not at all a linux person so pardon if these questions are a bit dumb...

First I'd like to start off does anyone know what is the FONT on this timer? I'd like to make my own simplistic screensaver that counts UP from the moment it is activated, though I doubt I'd leave my computer on for 20 years. I'd like to know the exact font used if possible.

Next, this is a computer and physics question. It seems like all the NPC in TRON 2.0 system were AI to the point of being as smart as a human. The IBM Blue Brain Project ( http://bluebrain.epfl.ch/ ) predicts that it would take more than all the total computational power in the world combined in order to functionally emulate/simulate a human brain on the cellular or molecular levels. So how is it possible that TRON had like thousands of programs (NPC humans) and yet it seems to be running SolarOS 4.0.1 i386 ? The system only has 2.5 GB of RAM and its CPU is 85% idle? Really now? I was playing the latest SIMS with a better system and it was still slowing me down. And at the end of the movie the dude storaged entire Tron system on his SD card? That's like putting a human brain onto a floppy disk.

Any thoughts?

Because it's a fucking movie, that's why.

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
Well the architecture couldn't have been silicon based because even Intel is reaching those limits now. So what? Quantum computing? Aliens or not, the laws of physics still apply.. or did they find a way to alter that too?

Yeah it would most likely have to be a quantum computer. :(

300 qbits for 1 state per atom in the universe.
600 might even be able to model the whole universe at the atomic level with 2^300 states per atom per clock.
For redundancy probably would want a few of those to make sure the results are right being statistical and all.
And given millions of years more advanced they could/would be many order of magnitude more advanced then that.

So yeah definitely quantum. :p

bmews

Mar 22, 2011
Yeah it would most likely have to be a quantum computer. :(

300 qbits for 1 state per atom in the universe.
600 might even be able to model the whole universe at the atomic level with 2^300 states per atom per clock.
For redundancy probably would want a few of those to make sure the results are right being statistical and all.
And given millions of years more advanced they could/would be many order of magnitude more advanced then that.

So yeah definitely quantum. :p

How can a subset of the universe "model" the whole universe itself at the atomic level? By definition a model is a reductive explanation to facilitate the needs of categorical perceptive simplifications. So begs the question, how can the self actually completely know the self? From an existential and ontological point of view is the omnium multiverse(s) an open or closed system? Either way, this would mathematically and logically contradict godel's incompleteness theorem and Cantor's proof that there isn't an ultimate set of all sets.

Last edited:

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
besides the fact that the atomic level isn't the lowest it can be modeled on?
Atoms are big compared to some stuff. :p

Oh yeah and that is the fun of quantum computers. :p

Going with my example 2^600 states which is is roughly 10^90 states at the same time per atom per calculation period. There is a lot of room to play around with when doing stuff at those levels and the aliens could of had million qbit + systems.

Last edited: