A pair of 5tb hdds newegg 319.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Those Seagate 5TB Externals are bad news. Don't even think about "shucking" them, they've crippled the BIOS to only work in IDE mode, so I've read on these forums.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I notice a lot of the external drives now forgo eSata. Which is a crying shame.

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
Those Seagate 5TB Externals are bad news. Don't even think about "shucking" them, they've crippled the BIOS to only work in IDE mode, so I've read on these forums.

I don't know whether this is true or not, but if you use the drive as an external drive like it was designed, it's an irrelevant issue.

The real crying shame is no fan. Reviews are not good.

I own one of these drives and it works fine. Not sure why you'd want a fan. Mine is barely warm to the touch. All the bad reviews are people who took the drive out of the enclosure and tried to use it as an internal drive. If you need 10 TB of storage space and you use the drives as they were intended, this is a very good deal.

Samus

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
I don't know whether this is true or not, but if you use the drive as an external drive like it was designed, it's an irrelevant issue.

I own one of these drives and it works fine. Not sure why you'd want a fan. Mine is barely warm to the touch. All the bad reviews are people who took the drive out of the enclosure and tried to use it as an internal drive. If you need 10 TB of storage space and you use the drives as they were intended, this is a very good deal.

Pariah,

Not only is the crippled firmware true, but the drive has aggressive parking (load unload cycle) issues, abysmal performance, and when considering there is no ventilation/fan for the 100% plastic (an insulator, not a dissipater) case, the drive is good for nothing but occasional cold storage.

Very occasional. Don't do what I did, either, and transfer 2TB to it all in one sitting. It was warning me it didn't like doing this by disconnecting once during the transfer. My transfer rate started around 120MB/sec and quickly drops to <10MB/sec over USB 3.0

IF you run the drive internally in native IDE mode, it will perform OK, and you can pass it APM commands to disable head parking. But it still "throttles" because the firmware is inclusive and designed around an enclosure. They've calibrated the firmware to compensate a high performance drive for a particular environment and demographic (hot plastic, external storage with short warranty and low price.) Instead of doing what WD does (with a wider product portfolio) they're just crippling high-end drives with artificial problems.

This sets a new precedent: If you are still a Seagate fan like I once was (for over a decade) I would recommend gravitating exclusively toward their NAS drives, the only consumer-class drives they make that are rated for 24/7 use. But these external application Barracuda XT's containing crip firmware are shit.

I was not the first, but second person to discover and document the firmware situation between the internal Barracuda XT and external "Seagate expansion" drives. I am unable to provide a non-crippled firmware, detail the procedure to flash the firmware, or even detail the edition of firmware you want to flash,as I was contacted by Seagate under threat of breaching the DMCA.

I was forced to take down a number of my posts on the internet or edit them and remove certain details. My original Newegg review was removed, Seagate probably had them remove it. My current review doesn't reveal quite so much. Anandtach and unRAID forums are the only ones that still have references to my posts.

I don't even know how long this post will stay live.

Last edited:

philipma1957

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2012
Pariah,

Not only is the crippled firmware true, but the drive has aggressive parking (load unload cycle) issues, abysmal performance, and when considering there is no ventilation/fan for the 100% plastic (an insulator, not a dissipater) case, the drive is good for nothing but occasional cold storage.

Very occasional. Don't do what I did, either, and transfer 2TB to it all in one sitting. It was warning me it didn't like doing this by disconnecting once during the transfer. My transfer rate started around 120MB/sec and quickly drops to <10MB/sec over USB 3.0

IF you run the drive internally in native IDE mode, it will perform OK, and you can pass it APM commands to disable head parking. But it still "throttles" because the firmware is inclusive and designed around an enclosure. They've calibrated the firmware to compensate a high performance drive for a particular environment and demographic (hot plastic, external storage with short warranty and low price.) Instead of doing what WD does (with a wider product portfolio) they're just crippling high-end drives with artificial problems.

This sets a new precedent: If you are still a Seagate fan like I once was (for over a decade) I would recommend gravitating exclusively toward their NAS drives, the only consumer-class drives they make that are rated for 24/7 use. But these external application Barracuda XT's containing crip firmware are shit.

I was not the first, but second person to discover and document the firmware situation between the internal Barracuda XT and external "Seagate expansion" drives. I am unable to provide a non-crippled firmware, detail the procedure to flash the firmware, or even detail the edition of firmware you want to flash,as I was contacted by Seagate under threat of breaching the DMCA.

I was forced to take down a number of my posts on the internet or edit them and remove certain details. My original Newegg review was removed, Seagate probably had them remove it. My current review doesn't reveal quite so much. Anandtach and unRAID forums are the only ones that still have references to my posts.

I don't even know how long this post will stay live.

interesting post thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.