A new Serious Sam was slipped under the RADAR and no one is talking about it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Looks like it was made with the SS 4 engine, and it might be more enjoyable. I will not pre-purchase. I'll let you guys take the leap.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
This is my obligatory "I never got Serious Sam games" post. Would always start a level, then within 5 minutes be totally overwhelmed by enemies not knowing where to go or what to do.

I own the whole collection (through 2 and its expansion packs) on Steam on reputation alone, so I'd really like to know so I can spend the time to download and play them, but I've tried so many times and bounced off.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
So do I and we both know they exist inside that massive backlog...

After I finish the current game I'm playing, I'll likely start trudging through the SS series.

-According to HLTB, the First and Second Encounters are rather short games. I might actually do some reading, beginner's guides, and knock em out...

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
This is my obligatory "I never got Serious Sam games" post. Would always start a level, then within 5 minutes be totally overwhelmed by enemies not knowing where to go or what to do.

I own the whole collection (through 2 and its expansion packs) on Steam on reputation alone, so I'd really like to know so I can spend the time to download and play them, but I've tried so many times and bounced off.
Well, the whole point of the game is fighting epic hordes of gross icky monsters. If you dont like that then no, the games are not for you.
As for where to go, well, all the levels are incredibly simple. They arent designed to be mazes or even treks. Its just move to the next area, kill a bunch of things, and repeat until you beat the game.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Well, the whole point of the game is fighting epic hordes of gross icky monsters. If you dont like that then no, the games are not for you.
As for where to go, well, all the levels are incredibly simple. They arent designed to be mazes or even treks. Its just move to the next area, kill a bunch of things, and repeat until you beat the game.

-Yeah I'm gonna need a full video walkthrough + beginner guide for that k thx.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I haven't really liked any of the games since 1st/2nd Encounter as I think they're incapable of recapturing that combination of gameplay and level design charm, so I'll probably skip it.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I just outgrew these kinds of games. Back when the 1st serious Sam was released, I played the hell out of it with friends. Twenty years later I'm fairly bored of this sort of game.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Been playing SS4 on PC Gamepass. Not a bad game to waste time with, but for me the difficulty is purely based on ammo management. Sometimes it feels like I go a long time without seeing a drop of any type.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Been playing SS4 on PC Gamepass. Not a bad game to waste time with, but for me the difficulty is purely based on ammo management. Sometimes it feels like I go a long time without seeing a drop of any type.
Don't forget the S.A.M. modules. There is a choice for enemies to randomly drop ammo when killed.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I had that, but at some point random drops got very few and far between. Maybe I screwed something up.
probably not.

drops are random so I wouldn't be too bothered.

some maps have more ammo than others.

The expansion Siberian Mayhem is pretty awesome so far.