A Network Issue

ZEBucity

Jan 8, 2018
Hello,

I have a Bell 10Mb download network coming into the main house on DSL. It goes to the Bell modem router which has been setup so it does not asign IPs but passes a blank signal along to a TP link router that is set to pppoe and the DHCP.

The second house 60 feet from the modem router has an Asus rt-n12 with ddwrt acting as a repeater. The internet is currently at 5Mb but will be upped to 10Mb shortly. It is the best Bell has to offer.

Originally I had the cable from the Bell device running to a switch and from the switch to two seperate routers one at each house which assigned the IPs I had a cat5e cable running through PVC to the second house, however it has a open connection on wire 1 and 2 now after 3 years of solid use. I have read here that the practice of running cable house to house outside is dangerous.

The speed test show speeds in the second house with the repeater of 0.2Mb

Are there any safe solutions to provide internet to the second house?

We were able to have Netflix running when it was cable however, now, the signal is too weak to even sustain.

Thanks for your input.

I have found on this site the ubiquit outdoor device with a range of 600 feet. If I installed this outside the main house there would be only one wall interference.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Why not try to fix the cable? Just try to redo one jack, test then if no go re do the other. Also, the second router should be setup in ap mode and the cable coming from the main router is connected to one of the lan ports in the second router.

So dsl - router1 - router2 as access point

You could get the ubiquiti wireless bridge otherwise, but that still involves running two wires from interior of house to exterior.

ZEBucity

Jan 8, 2018
I did redo both of the cable ends with the same 1,2 open wire issue. The TP link does not have ap or repeater ability.

I read on the forums here that it is dangerous to have a cable running with out proper ground from house to house.

The original setup that was working;

DSL-> Bell Modem (Blank IP) ->Switch ->Router 1 located in main house for Wifi network 1. Switch ->Router 2 located in second house for Wifi network 2.

Both routers were set to PPPOE and DHCP.

This allowed both homes to have their own separate networks.

Is the best think to do, is buy a new cable and run it again?

This is the product
https://www.amazon.ca/Ubiquiti-UAP-...&qid=1515500582&sr=8-1&keywords=ubiquiti+mesh

I will be attaching a chromecast, 2 phones, ipad, sonos speaker, xbox and a laptop from the second house to it.

ZEBucity

Jan 8, 2018
No cable internet :( DSL 10Mb max.

Good line of sight, a few trees in between the houses but the room in the main house with the router has windows facing the second house, and the second house has windows facing the main house.

Is the best option still to rerun the cable?

The first half of the run is in PVC under ground about 4 inches. The second half is run under the second house (it is lifted up off the ground, mobile house) and is just lopped along the supports.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
No cable internet :( DSL 10Mb max.

Good line of sight, a few trees in between the houses but the room in the main house with the router has windows facing the second house, and the second house has windows facing the main house.

Is the best option still to rerun the cable?

The first half of the run is in PVC under ground about 4 inches. The second half is run under the second house (it is lifted up off the ground, mobile house) and is just lopped along the supports.

Lightning risk is pretty low since taller targets with higher potential are nearby so I would try re-running.

You could run the wifi bridge from the windows if you got good line of sight. Easier on the hardware if it is indoors and the signal loss is not a big deal since it is close.