A Muslim nation was the first to ever recognize American independence

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
So I was researching my upcoming trip to Morocco and Spain when I ran across this little anecdote at Wikipedia, which appears to be authentic:

Morocco was the first nation, in 1777, to recognize the fledgling United States as an independent nation. In the beginning of the American Revolution, American merchant ships were subject to attack by the Barbary Pirates while sailing the Atlantic Ocean. At this time, American envoys tried to obtain protection from European powers, but to no avail. On 20 December 1777, Morocco's Sultan Mohammed III declared that the American merchant ships would be under the protection of the sultanate and could thus enjoy safe passage.

The Moroccan-American Treaty of Friendship stands as the U.S.'s oldest non-broken friendship treaty. Signed by John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, it has been in continuous effect since 1786. Following the reorganization of the U.S. federal government upon the 1787 Constitution, President George Washington wrote a now venerated letter to the Sultan Sidi Mohamed strengthening the ties between the two countries. The United States legation (consulate) in Tangier is the first property the American government ever owned abroad. The building now houses the Tangier American Legation Museum.

Now I know why the Legionaires and Shriners wear fez caps! And I always thought our first friendly foreign power was France. Anyways, just thought this was interesting in light of our current foreign policy in the Middle East.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Morocco >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Middle East

Different culture (lots of European influence), different people. Only thing similar is the religion, and Morocco is more moderate than most. Algeria's where the crap starts.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Morroco is a good example of a muslim nation without it's head up thier ass. They've always been that way too. It's like they're not even part of the crapfest that alot of the African countries have going on. They got economic stability and prosperity, they're not fighting. They're just hanging out of the beach running a good country.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
didn't we send our navy in to deal with the pirates? basically one of the muslim nations was trying to blackmail us.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: prontospyder
interesting...didn't learn about that in US History class. :)

Really... I learned that in 10th grade... it was an important part of the post-revolution.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: irishScott
Morocco >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Middle East

Different culture (lots of European influence), different people. Only thing similar is the religion, and Morocco is more moderate than most. Algeria's where the crap starts.

Oh please - They are arabs as well. They are part of the Arab League- the official language is Arabic (although IIRC French is used a LOT in business - apparantly there are some places that us English speakers haven't penetrated ;)).

According to wikipedia -
"There is no significant genetic difference between Moroccan Arabs and Moroccan non-Arabs (i.e. Berbers). Thus, it is likely that Arabization was mainly a cultural process without genetic replacement.[14] However, and according to the European Journal of Human Genetics, North-Western Africans were genetically closer to Iberians and to other Europeans than to sub-Saharan Africans.[15]"

Of course - let us not forget that Muslim / Arab Moors controlled the Iberian Peninsula for a few hundred years. And we call them Arabs because unlike Europeans, Arabs didn't follow the pattern of "shoot em up" as they traveled - they just had sex with the women and made new babies. So you can try to distinguish them from others, but ultimately you will fail because the definition of an Arab is very flexible due to that mixing.

Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
Morroco is a good example of a muslim nation without it's head up thier ass. They've always been that way too. It's like they're not even part of the crapfest that alot of the African countries have going on. They got economic stability and prosperity, they're not fighting. They're just hanging out of the beach running a good country.

1) North Africa is immensely different from Sub saharan africa - most anywhere is better than the poor situation in much of Subsaharan Africa (note: MOST and MUCH - not ALL, and it would be stupid for me to argue all!)
2) Running a good country? Things are better there than elsewhere...but ever hear of "western sahara"?

Originally posted by: andylawcc
Morocco had one hot princess right?

You might be thinking of Bahrain, althougn now that you mention it I think Morocco did have one as well

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: magomago
And we call them Arabs because unlike Europeans, Arabs didn't follow the pattern of "shoot em up" as they traveled - they just had sex with the women and made new babies.

euros had sex with everyone.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: magomago
And we call them Arabs because unlike Europeans, Arabs didn't follow the pattern of "shoot em up" as they traveled - they just had sex with the women and made new babies.

euros had sex with everyone.

Still do, we do not discriminate. :D

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Muslim nations back then aren't what they are today, by a long shot.
And back in 1777, the US was fighting imperialism instead of committing it.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Couldn't help yourself could you? Anything to get in a cheap shot at the US.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Sinsear

He does speak the truth though. Maybe in bad taste but its still true.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Sinsear

I wouldn't call my shots 'cheap'; 'fiscally responsible' sounds much better.

Our country would be wise to be as frugal. It's hard to expand the empire with an empty wallet.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: KMFJD
Was Morocco not a European colony for 50-60 years?
Well apparently not at the time of the Revolution--when King Ferdinand defeated the Moors I'm not sure if Spain ever took control of Morocco.