A man's home is his castle... with pic

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Now that they got the ditch the locals just need to start filling it with developers.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
I wonder if under Chinese law they would be responsible for rebuilding the house if that dirt collapses? It's actually good to see that someone can refuse to move like that, in the good 'ol USA the gov can take your property even for commercial purposes.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
It's China. The government will "dispose" of him and charge his family for the bullet.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Where does his sewage run to? Right out the side of that hill...

They will pay his price. :)

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: everman
I wonder if under Chinese law they would be responsible for rebuilding the house if that dirt collapses? It's actually good to see that someone can refuse to move like that, in the good 'ol USA the gov can take your property even for commercial purposes.
That would go against an executive order.
On June 23, 2006 - on the one-year anniversary of the Kelo decision (see above), President George W. Bush issued an executive order stating in Section I that the Federal Government must limit its use of taking private property for "public use" with "just compensation", which is also stated in the constitution, for the "purpose of benefiting the general public." He limits this use by stating that it may not be used "for the purpose of advancing the economic interest of private parties to be given ownership or use of the property taken."

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Wow... china is better with regards to property rights. In the USA, the developers would use eminent domain.... I applaud china :)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: edro

You think? How many tons of manure you think that homeowner can withstand once the developer start to fill the hole with nastiest smelling manures he can get his hands on?

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
lol if i was him id order everything i needed online an stay put for the long haul...id like to see the look on the fedex or ups guys when they drove up to the address with my packages:p

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Naustica
Originally posted by: edro

You think? How many tons of manure you think that homeowner can withstand once the developer start to fill the hole with nastiest smelling manures he can get his hands on?

Why can't he just leave his home there and live elsewhere until they pay him?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: hjo3
On June 23, 2006 - on the one-year anniversary of the Kelo decision (see above), President George W. Bush issued an executive order stating in Section I that the Federal Government must limit its use of taking private property for "public use" with "just compensation", which is also stated in the constitution, for the "purpose of benefiting the general public." He limits this use by stating that it may not be used "for the purpose of advancing the economic interest of private parties to be given ownership or use of the property taken."

And like most of what Bush has done it is full of hot air and/or BS. You see 2 things wrong in that order. 1. It only says Federal government, not state. The whole issue was small towns and cites taking land for wal-marts and such. 2. It states they must give "just compensation". Now who decides what "just compensation" is. Usually the ones that are taking the land.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

got a link on that?

I was slightly pissed off when the courts said it was legal for the goverment take private property and give it to ohter private business.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
Is he living in that house? How does he get down? That's a cool house now. He can make a Fortress.

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: waggy

got a link on that?

I was slightly pissed off when the courts said it was legal for the goverment take private property and give it to ohter private business.
Text

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: waggy

got a link on that?

Based on that quote though, it only applies to the federal government. It isn't the federal government that usually condemns people's land to sell to developers, it's the local government.