a man defends his home in NYC with a firearm and is not charged!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
well, if he had a shot gun, then both of them would have likely been killed. :) Shot Gun Win!

Why would both have been killed? He only shot 1 guy. Unless the other dude was right behind him and he was firing slugs...

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Only if you're a gurl. I've shot a 12ga one handed, John Wayne style since my teens when i want to show off in front of guys I hunt with who can't hit birds. 45 pfft is like nothing. Some of the magnum revolvers take time to get back on target tho.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Only if you're a gurl. I've shot a 12ga one handed, John Wayne style since my teens when i want to show off in front of guys I hunt with who can't hit birds. 45 pfft is like nothing. Some of the magnum revolvers take time to get back on target tho.

500 S&W revolver...now that kicks a little. :D

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
doesn't .45s have massive recoils that hampers accuracy and stability? also I'd say at that close range probably a shot gun is more effective.

Haven't shot one yet, but while it obviously does have higher recoil the effect that would have on accuracy would largely depend on the gun. .45 has been around for a while and is quite the proven fight stopper. I've seen guys shoot .45's and make some nice groups at up to 20 yards, heard of experienced shooters that can do even better. I imagine with a little training the recoil is manageable, especially on a heavier gun.

As for the shotgun, depends on what you load it with. A slug will almost certainly be more effective than any handgun at any range.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Haven't shot one yet, but while it obviously does have higher recoil the effect that would have on accuracy would largely depend on the gun. .45 has been around for a while and is quite the proven fight stopper. I've seen guys shoot .45's and make some nice groups at up to 20 yards, heard of experienced shooters that can do even better. I imagine with a little training the recoil is manageable, especially on a heavier gun.

As for the shotgun, depends on what you load it with. A slug will almost certainly be more effective than any handgun at any range.

I don't think it matters... I read an article that said #1 buck is most effective at destroying CNS of humans. But I would not want to be shot by anything under Turkey loads with a shotgun. Basically kiss your ass goodbye.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Yep. Get yourself a nice heavy 1911 and you wont even notice you are shooting a 45. :thumbsup:

Lol I wish. Right now I think I'll be sticking with something in .380 (looking for a CCW, not much money for much else). Was tempted to go after a PF-9, but after seeing a few shooting vids and looking at the recoil on the thing I'll probably stick with something in .380. Waiting for S&W to work out the issues with the new Bodyguards, canceled my previous order. :p Considered an LCP/P3AT with ct grips, fondled one in a gun store and yeah... the sights suck balls. Guess the laser could compensate but still...

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
this thread is now about waffles.

I like them with maple syrup and butter from this creamery

http://www.vermontcreamery.com/

250_butter.jpg

^^ damn good butter

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Lol I wish. Right now I think I'll be sticking with something in .380 (looking for a CCW, not much money for much else). Was tempted to go after a PF-9, but after seeing a few shooting vids and looking at the recoil on the thing I'll probably stick with something in .380. Waiting for S&W to work out the issues with the new Bodyguards, canceled my previous order. :p Considered an LCP/P3AT with ct grips, fondled one in a gun store and yeah... the sights suck balls. Guess the laser could compensate but still...

I stay in shape so I can run from trouble. :p That includes no waffles!!! Basically if someone want you dead you're getting dead because they can get drop on you.

I just let my CCW expire ($200 every 5 years) because I never carried anyway. I'll prolly renew though just in case.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I stay in shape so I can run from trouble. :p That includes no waffles!!! Basically if someone want you dead you're getting dead because they can get drop on you.

I just let my CCW expire ($200 every 5 years) because I never carried anyway. I'll prolly renew though just in case.

Well yeah I'm not looking to take on the mob or anything, but I've been in a few situations where it would have been nice to have one had my luck gone sour.

As for never carrying, that's why I'm going for simple, lightweight pocket carry. I already carry 2.5 lbs of stuff in my front/cargo pockets at any given time, but because it's all flattened and secured I often forget I'm wearing any of it. I'd have to do some readjusting, but devoting my right front pocket to a nice little gun shouldn't be a problem. Hell the gun store guy let me shove a PF-9 in my pocket and I was cool with that. Let alone something lighter with a proper holster.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
308 spidey. I have one of those on order to match my LMT 5.56 piston. ;)

.308 is a one gun solution 5.56 is not. You can kill any NA game with it, any two legged predator at 800 yds or less and ammo is plentiful like 5.56.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
308 spidey. I have one of those on order to match my LMT 5.56 piston. ;)

.308 is a one gun solution 5.56 is not. You can kill any NA game with it, any two legged predator at 800 yds or less and ammo is plentiful like 5.56.

Absolutely agree. But the long range AR would be considerably cheaper. You're right, if you had to grab one for the zombies I'd grab the .308.

May 16, 2000
Are those boys sitting in prison today? No they are dead. My point stands.

Actually, no, a number of them lived, including Richard Blackburn, the one who shot trooper Coates that I mentioned. He's serving life in prison. These people are shot numerous, even a dozen or more times, with .45 hollows or .357 +p, and live perfectly well after, usually in prison. You're simply wrong.

It doesn't happen OFTEN, but it does happen regularly.

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
5.56 has proven deficient in warfare which is why guys left to own devices, instead of .gov mandate, such as Special Forces, use 6.8 SPC or even .308. But it's really a tough call. Street to street I'd like capacity and spraying and staying power of 5.56. In country gimme .308.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
How would you know? You've dated male burglars? o_O

I realize you probably thought that was witty or something, but if I said that it's out of character that indicate that if I know burglars they were not homosexual. Better luck next time sparky.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I'm waffling between another AR-15 for long range or a little more power with .308.

LM308MWSF.jpg

Um, the .308 would be the longer range gun, and the more powerful gun, so I guess you'll be going with the .308.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Um, the .308 would be the longer range gun, and the more powerful gun, so I guess you'll be going with the .308.

You don't think I could achieve more 300 yard accuracy with a purpose built long-rang AR vs. the LMT .308? I'm by no means an expert on it. And the 3K price tag on the LMT is a little steep but that's a damn fine gun.

-edit-
*SQUEEL* They do make an ACOG for .308. Real easy decision now.