A MAJOR DNET MILESTONE!

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
Congrats all participents of the RC5-64 project, I am happy to anounce the 50% mark has been mowed over as of yesterday. we are now more then half way done with the entire keyspace. that means the key to the meaning of life....oops wrong post....the key is somewhere in site!

Aggregate Statistics

Total Blocks to Search: 68,719,476,736
Total Blocks Tested: 34,366,858,762
Keyspace Checked: 50.010%
Total Keys Tested: 9,225,283,403,065,065,472
Time Working: 1,331 days
Overall Rate: 80,220,972 KKeys/sec
Current Information

67,868,345 blocks were completed yesterday (0.099% of the keyspace)
at a sustained rate of 210,859,608 KKeys/sec!

The odds are 1 in 506 that we will wrap this thing
up in the next 24 hours. (This also means that we'll
exhaust the keyspace in 506 days at yesterday's rate.)

There have been 298,533 participants
since the beginning of this project.
37,691 of them were active yesterday
and of those, 180 were brand-new participants.

There are 11,538 registered teams.
4,601 of them submitted blocks yesterday.
(6 of them are brand new!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DJ_D

Oct 11, 1999
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Man, I've been waiting to see that 50% mark for a long long long time.

You know what this means? 1 bit down, 63 more to go! :D:D

KGB

Diamond Member
May 11, 2000
I too am glad about reaching the 50% mark but there is one downside:

If your herd gets stuck munching randoms, half of them will have already been done!

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Cool...but it's hard to believe the key hasn't been found in that first 50%. Almost like flipping a coin, LOL.

Scorpion

Oct 10, 1999
What's up guys. I haven't been here in a long time, but I've been quietly cracking out blocks for the teams. hershbj@okstate.edu is my ID on d.net.

I just looked at the stats for the first time in a LONG time and noticed the 50% mark. :) Nice. I remember how long it took just to get to 20%. But just in the last year so many people have gotten involved in the project and it's picked up the pace a lot. I'm glad. Because I just want RC-5 to end really. :)

Anyways... just saying "HI!". I haven't been around in a LONG, LONG time.

Cya,

Matt

BGod

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sounds like it's time to start a pool on which % of the keyspace the correct key is hidden in.

Any takers?

LeBlatt

Golden Member
Dec 8, 1999
Wrong, KGBMAN, randoms are not picked from the entire subspace, but from a particular subspace.
If you wanna check this, starve your client of fresh blocks, and watch it crunch pseudo random blocks that all begin with the same 2 hex digits (16 bits).

/edit : 16, not 8 !

SpaceWalker

Oct 13, 1999
If it took 2 years to do 50%, then i think it should only take a year to do the last 50%...

I think the winning key will be found in the next 6 to 9 months.....

:)

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Well, I'd like to congratulate everyone on passing 50% on the RC5 overall stats.=) We are now at 50.010%, and climbing. Statisticly, we should be finding the key any time soon, since the odds are now better that we will find it on any given day than we won't.

None the less, there are some people that I want to thank for helping us get here:

DPC's: Thanks for the competition guys. We don't allways get along, but it definately pushes each team to do better.

Slashdot: What can I say, we trashed you.=) Thanks for motivating us as our first major target.

Mycroft: Fear the Cube ;-)

The Founders(TA): Damn you guys for getting me and everone else addicted to this. I hope you're enjoying this as much as we are.

Anand: Thanks for the support, the computer parts, and most importantly, the blocks.

Dnet: Thanks for turning us all into crack addicts. Our local hardware shops and ISPs appreciate it.=) Keep up the good work on the clients, and making that next new exciting project.

Mika, Brad, JHutch: Thanks for the work you've done for TA.com. The stats, the FAQs, the secret project; it's all keeping TA going.=)

The donators: Thanks for making TA.com a possibility.

Jackal: You wrote the original FAQ that started half this mess. Damn you too =)

Cautry: Thanks for making so much possible. The Warpcore Project, while not sucessful, has opened up a lot of doors for the future of TA, and cracked some blocks in the mean time.=)

Polo: Sneaky, log cleaner; what more can I say.

The rest of you guys: You're wasting CPU time reading this, get back to work!=D

PS Did I mention that 9,225,283,403,065,065,472 keys have been checked? ;)

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
I would like to thank ViRGE for turning me on to this mess :) he is one of the smartest people you will ever meet in your life and one of the most caring, even tho you can disagree with him sometimes you always know if you need him he is there for you.

bot2600

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
What is going to be sad is if some kid with a celeron 566@102938746 got the right key and his 154 degree CPU calculated wrong and sent DNET a code that was NOT the answer even though it should have been the right key and their database logged it as done and we finish the WHOLE keyspace and DNET goes, OOPS, sorry, but we have to START ALL OVER!!!! WOOT

Bot

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
there are fault tolerences :)

in other words the key are checked for integraty it wouldnt happen.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
ScoRp!oN, you've not been forgotten! I had pretty much given up on hearing from you again, it's great to see you in here! :) Now if DMcOwen would just pop up again, too... By the way, we have moved the IRC channel to #teamanandtech on tairc.2y.net, it takes a minute to get completely hooked up so be patient. Hope to see you in there this summer dude! :)

Oh, and we reached the 50% mark. Cool... am I allowed to send in the correct key yet? :confused:

j/k!