A long time ago I found an article on DPReview explaining why hi-resolution on a small sensor is bad

Jul 15, 2003
Thanks to their lousy search page I cannot find that article anymore.
https://www.dpreview.com/features

It had excellent visuals and a thorough explanation of what happens to light as it hits large and small sensors and why too many pixels on a small area leads to lower image quality.

Anyone here remember seeing that article?

Jul 15, 2003
Nope, thats a damn good article but not the one I'm thinking of. That article is about noise and the one I remember was about image quality. as in the ability to accurately reproduce the colors seen thru the lens.
And it had a cute little image of photons bouncing off sensor pixels. It was very helpful.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i don't recall dpreview ever going on about the megapixel myth. that particular load of crap was mostly spouted off by david pogue at NYT (and he was wrong).

maybe you saw something about microlenses or foveon sensors?

Jul 15, 2003
i don't recall dpreview ever going on about the megapixel myth. that particular load of crap was mostly spouted off by david pogue at NYT (and he was wrong).

maybe you saw something about microlenses or foveon sensors?
No. it was a detailed article on why too many pixels on a tiny surface area led directly to lower image quality.

HOWEVER, if it turned out the writer was completely wrong, perhaps they deleted the article entirely and thats why I cant find it.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Nope, thats a damn good article but not the one I'm thinking of. That article is about noise and the one I remember was about image quality. as in the ability to accurately reproduce the colors seen thru the lens.
And it had a cute little image of photons bouncing off sensor pixels. It was very helpful.
Probably something about the bayer filter? You'd want the circle of confusion to cover enough pixels in a bayer grid to be able to determine accurate color.