A hypothetical Zika-virus question for the anti-abortion crowd

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Story.

"They are not going to be functional," he says of the babies he has examined. "They'll need care for the rest of their lives."

Sounds like the perfect liberal utopia. An endless stream of massive drains on the healthcare system to ensure that prices continue to explode into the stratosphere. Give them all a trophy and they will vote for Sanders.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah, I know it's not about the "perfect child they wanted" - let's not mince words here and just say you really don't care about the parent's motivations at all and would support abortion for any reason at all and that reason as almost always that the parents DON'T want the child. I don't have any problem with you claiming that as your moral stance, but then don't go around trying to treat the hypothetical edge case like Zika differently as if you're doing us all a favor by saving us money.

So IOW you're perfectly fine with parents claiming no obligation to kids and abandoning them but if you think it's someone other than the parents doing the same that's wrong and immoral and we should use the state to confiscate their wallet.

No, if the parents don't want the child and care more about their money than the life they created, they should carry the child to term and kill it themselves. Look the child in the eye as you take away its life. Doing it via abortion is a fucking coward and we shouldn't pander to their emotions to make it easier on them. Own your choice to kill. Next up is bashing in the skulls of Downs kids, they cost too much.

Not that it matters to you I'm sure, but man you seem to be really defensive and angry over this. Not sure that it would be productive to continue with you, but you are now doing the same shit the people on the left do here.

Feb 4, 2009
Sounds like the perfect liberal utopia. An endless stream of massive drains on the healthcare system to ensure that prices continue to explode into the stratosphere. Give them all a trophy and they will vote for Sanders.

As I previously posted this is the:
They have Obamacare let Obama handle them
Response

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I thought you guys were against " socializing losses" but I guess that's only for corporations; if it's a baby and parents who care more about saving a buck than their own offspring then hell yeah socialize the shit out of it. Because that's what taxpayers are for,to ensure that you don't need to spend any more on your child than you desire to.

So you don't mind your insurance going through the roof when my baby needs $1m in care every year, for years on end? I mean I have an out of pocket max of $4500, so no real sweat off my back. Now multiple this by tens of thousands. Let me guess, you are also against the removal of life time coverage caps.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Except it is the liberals on here that want to come up with some type of obtainable solution. It is the conservatives that want an endless stream of brain damaged babies.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
So you don't mind your insurance going through the roof when my baby needs $1m in care every year, for years on end? I mean I have an out of pocket max of $4500, so no real sweat off my back. Now multiple this by tens of thousands. Let me guess, you are also against the removal of life time coverage caps.

I've already said I fully support and want you to abort. We wouldn't want society to burdened with your offspring. We already have enough unwanted kids that the parents don't love and want dead, we don't need you to add more.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Personally, I have no problem with dealing with the financial implications of my convictions.

It is despicable to me that liberals are arguing for murder to save a buck. I am much more sympathetic to the idea that they wouldn't have any quality of life.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah, I know it's not about the "perfect child they wanted" - let's not mince words here and just say you really don't care about the parent's motivations at all and would support abortion for any reason at all and that reason as almost always that the parents DON'T want the child.

Well if that's the case then you are simply wrong.

I don't have any problem with you claiming that as your moral stance, but then don't go around trying to treat the hypothetical edge case like Zika differently as if you're doing us all a favor by saving us money.

Again. My argument isn't primary formed because of financial reasons.
I'm fine with a massively funded health service.

Is Zika a hypothetical case?
Do you not believe in looking for solutions for problems before the problem gets too big for a solution?

So IOW you're perfectly fine with parents claiming no obligation to kids and abandoning them but if you think it's someone other than the parents doing the same that's wrong and immoral and we should use the state to confiscate their wallet.

What does it matter if I'm fine with it or not.

Are all these parents going to go "Oh! Apparently WelshBloke thinks that we should not have abortions and should dedicate or lives and finances to raising these children."?

Is that how it works? If so... Most Excellent. I'm just going to bring world peace by telling everyone to stop killing each other.
You're a fucking genius. How come no one's thought of this before?

No, if the parents don't want the child and care more about their money than the life they created, they should carry the child to term and kill it themselves. Look the child in the eye as you take away its life. Doing it via abortion is a fucking coward and we shouldn't pander to their emotions to make it easier on them. Own your choice to kill. Next up is bashing in the skulls of Downs kids, they cost too much.

Wait.

No you're not a genius. You're a blathering idiot that thinks that the world will do as he says just because.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Personally, I have no problem with dealing with the financial implications of my convictions.

It is despicable to me that liberals are arguing for murder to save a buck. I am much more sympathetic to the idea that they wouldn't have any quality of life.

Please quote the person that has advocated murdering a child, thanks.

Edit - Oops, Glen said that people should murder their children instead of have an abortion, but he's not a liberal so I'm still not sure who you're talking about.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I am riveted by the possibility that GMO mosquitoes played a role in its spread.

Has the Zika virus ever spread like this before?

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
For those arguing with Glenn it might help to realize he's not a standard conservative pro-lifer. Basically he's Ebenezer Scrooge. (No offense Glenn ;) )

"let them die and decrease the surplus population"
"Can't afford to make idle people merry"
Doesn't want to spend money on others and wants to be left alone. Or at least stop being bothered by whining do-gooders.

Etc.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Conservatives already allow murder so some people can have babies implanted in their wombs. Its called IVF. Don't recall any of them proposing that it be repealed.

Feb 4, 2009

From my previous post this is the:
Another scenario is from a Nun or a Pastor. We should care for every baby the best and most appropriate way possible and we should all give time & money until it hurts

I don't usually agree with Buck but his response is kind no disrespect intended.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Jesus Christ, you're a wise and beautiful woman.

hasu

Apr 5, 2001

Like being pro-life and pro-gun at the same time!

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Point is then you gave until you could give no longer. I can respect that though as being kind.

Even if once you run out, you kill off everyone? If I am the bread winner of my home, and I give away all my money and then run out. I will lose my house and everything I own. Everyone dependent on me will suffer. If a whole society does this, then literally we will see people suffer. It appears kind in the short run, in the long run its monstrous.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
For those arguing with Glenn it might help to realize he's not a standard conservative pro-lifer. Basically he's Ebenezer Scrooge. (No offense Glenn ;) )

"let them die and decrease the surplus population"
"Can't afford to make idle people merry"
Doesn't want to spend money on others and wants to be left alone. Or at least stop being bothered by whining do-gooders.

Etc.

Please remind me which section of that book where Bob Cratchitt has Tiny Tim aborted because he might cost too much otherwise. All with the enthusiastic support of local progressives of course.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Please remind me which section of that book where Bob Cratchitt has Tiny Tim aborted because he might cost too much otherwise. All with the enthusiastic support of local progressives of course.

The kid would have been better off. Given the abominable nightmare that life is, you are doing nobody any favors letting them be born. The amount of suffering you are freeing them from is immeasurable.