A Happy Week!

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Fuzzy and some others may recall a note of mine where I described how I lost my Canon EOS 5D along with several lenses (EF 24-105mm F/4 IS L; 30-70mm f/4-5.6 DO IS; and EF 50mm f/1.4 prime plus bag, filters, batteries, charger, 580EX flash, and misc items.) This happened while processing through security screening at LAX. It's a long story. I turned the page.

This week I replaced just about all of the principal items, and am now happily back in business with a 5D.

This afternoon I was rewarded with a target of opportunity roosted in the big mesquite tree in my back yard. I quickly got the 70-300mm lens on and got these two rewarding pics of two great horned owls. (Local rodentia are surrying for cover!) First the male - the smaller of the two . . .

Male

Then the larger and more elegant female of the species . . .

Female

So, I just wanted to share some happiness with y'all - this is a great forum.

BTW - these were not easy shots - about 50 feet away and shooting up towards the SW with a bright afternoon sun and no fill flash.

Cheers! :)

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Cool shots. I think that male owl is hitting on you.

Yes - he does look like he's winking. Actually it is a feather that seems to be coming down over his right eye. Maybe he lipped off to mama and she batted him with a wing. :)

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
BTW - these were not easy shots - about 50 feet away and shooting up towards the SW with a bright afternoon sun and no fill flash.

So, what was your technique for not getting them backlit?

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: ThePresence
So, what was your technique for not getting them backlit?

An old trick I learned shooting film for many years. I selected a shaded are at the same disance, focused on it, held the button down halfway and then swung to the owls. The cameras retained the shade exposure. But, they are backlit - that can't be changed. It's just a way to deal with it. Fill flash is the best, but my flash was not available.