A Google centric presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Thus far, Google has done things right. I have no problem with them getting involved in Washington. Good luck to them with their goals.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
http://www.latimes.com/news/na...9jan24,0,5255660.story

I actually like what Google wants to do, they make my life simpler and I don't have a problem with sharing some data with them for the value I receive, and I'm a fan of net neutrality too...

This sounds eerily like those that say they have no problems giving up some of their rights for a little bit of security.

I do not want ANY of my information shared no matter how inconsequential it is and no matter what the perceived benefits are from it. There is a reason that anonymous surfing is being attacked and Google is at the center of that battle. They may be pushing for net neutrality which is something that I think that we all need and support, but don't think for a second that they are doing it for some altruistic reason.

They are one of, if not the biggest data miners on the web. To think that they are wanting anything more than a bigger market share and bigger quarterly returns is ignorant of reality.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

They are one of, if not the biggest data miners on the web. To think that they are wanting anything more than a bigger market share and bigger quarterly returns is ignorant of reality.

That's why you use firefox and block google-analytics.com with noscript!

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Come on, looking at their actions, privacy seems to be extremely important to Google. What happened when the feds demanded major search engines hand over search records? Microsoft and Yahoo immediately complied, Google was the only company who fought it on the basis that it was an invasion of users privacy. How about when courts demanded they hand over YouTube records in the Viacom case? They vehemently fought that and in the end were able to reach a compromise where personally identifiable data was anonymized.

You're right about one thing, though. Google is a business and their number one goal is to make money. However, a lot of the stuff they advocate is not only good for Google, but good for consumers as well.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

This sounds eerily like those that say they have no problems giving up some of their rights for a little bit of security.

belonging to a civil society is giving up rights for security.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: frostedflakes
Come on, looking at their actions, privacy seems to be extremely important to Google. What happened when the feds demanded major search engines hand over search records? Microsoft and Yahoo immediately complied, Google was the only company who fought it on the basis that it was an invasion of users privacy. How about when courts demanded they hand over YouTube records in the Viacom case? They vehemently fought that and in the end were able to reach a compromise where personally identifiable data was anonymized.

You're right about one thing, though. Google is a business and their number one goal is to make money. However, a lot of the stuff they advocate is not only good for Google, but good for consumers as well.

You really think Google will say no to NSA/CIA?

I won't be surprised if they have 24/7 access to Google data. Not that I think they shouldn't.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Well Google doesn't really have a choice, internet traffic is already intercepted at facilities across the US as part of the NSA spying program. Whether they like it or not, the government already has access to their data.

But yes, if confronted by the government about handing over user data, I think they would fight it tooth and nail. As I already mentioned, they did it once when the government requested they hand over search records for the Ashcroft v ACLU case.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Personally I'd rather have google looking out for my rights (what we have left) then the government. At least they have a ton of lawyers working for them when the feds ask them to hand over documents. Granted it's a slippery slope.

Today your privacy might be protected, but what happens when google sells out and later other companies acquire stock, then your at their mercy.

Status
Not open for further replies.