a good example of CPU limitations

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Fox5

Farcry 2 is designed around quad (or possibly more) cores,
There might be some performance gains but again, these are nullified at any reasonable detail levels:

Here?s 1680x1050 with no AA:

http://www.x c p u s.com/reviews/121-Far-Cry-2-Single-to-Quad-Core-Scaling-Page-2.aspx

(Remove the spaces between x c p u s as the forum is censoring the site).

In those scores dual-core is easily justified over single core, but anything past two cores is basically flat-lining, even with minimums. And this is a low resolution with no AA.

Here?s 1680x1050 with 4xAA (bottom graph):

http://www.pcgameshardware.com...hmarks/Reviews/?page=2

My E6850 scores 40.1 FPS, while their fastest quad-core @ 4 GHz is only getting 43.6 FPS. Once again we see quad-core is simply unjustified in Far Cry 2.

I have the game?s full physics enabled on my E6850, but my GTX285 is still massively bottlenecks me when I play Far Cry 2.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Originally posted by: MrK6

They're two totally different games running on two totally different engines. Why do people compare linear FPS's with virtual worlds and think that the CPU load is the same?
I?m not saying the CPU load is the same, I?m saying the performance of Arma A 2 is utterly abysmal. As for open virtual worlds, look at something like the original Stalker which again has a DX9 renderer with comparative visuals, but runs far better than Arma A 2. I can actually run it acceptably at 2560x1600 with 2xTrAA (around ~50 FPS average in the benchmark runs).

Just because the load on the CPU is (more or less) unnecessary doesn't negate the fact that there is still a load on the CPU. When that kind of load becomes a requirement years down the road, the CPU is still going to be able to cope.
Cope? They can?t cope right now in GTA4 and Arma A 4; how are they going to cope in more demanding titles? We need faster quad cores, plain and simple.

Yes, it?s quite possible a reliance on quad core will become the norm in the future, but when that happens, quad core will be more proliferated and won?t be much more expensive than dual core, so it?ll make sense to get one. This is like the situation we?re in now where it makes absolutely zero sense to get a single core.

The point is that now it isn?t the norm, and advocating quad-core so you can hit 15 FPS @ 1280x1024 with no AA is quite silly. If you?ve got $1000 to burn on a i7 then it?s a far better idea to go with CF/SLI and witness much bigger and more far-reaching performance gains than you ever would with quad-core.
So because some games don't use a quad core to it's fullest potential, you recommend getting a dual core instead? That's very shortsighted, to say the least. My Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz is two years old, and multithreading was just coming out at the time. Now, the CPU is still fast, and thanks to the extra cores, I'm able to take greater advantage of multithreaded applications. Barring the future necessity of quad cores for multithreading (that's the way things are going), quad cores in themselves (architecturally) are still the fastest CPU's on the market given the i7 series.

Stemming from your $1000 budget comment, in the end, it's all a priority and pay offs. However, I'm going to submit that you'll see a much larger benefit grabbing a $200 core i7 920 rather than saving $50-60 and getting a good dual core and putting the saved money towards a better graphics card(s). Video processing is cheap now, $250-300 can get you in the market for several very nice CF and SLI set-ups. The simple fact of the matter is that if you're laying down that kind of cash for a gaming experience, there's no reason not to get the all around superior i7.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

So because some games don't use a quad core to it's fullest potential, you recommend getting a dual core instead? That's very shortsighted, to say the least.
No, I recommend dual core because 99% of games don?t take advantage of quad core, and of the 1% that do, most nullify the performance difference when any reasonable detail level is used.

My Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz is two years old, and multithreading was just coming out at the time. Now, the CPU is still fast, and thanks to the extra cores, I'm able to take greater advantage of multithreaded applications.
My E6850 is also two years old and the CPU is still fast too. I?ve also repeatedly demonstrated how my GTX285 massively bottlenecks this processor, and repeatedly demonstrated how quad core is a waste of time.

Your CPU is fast by virtue of your overclock, not because it has four cores. If your clock was 3 GHz then it would perform exactly the same as mine in 99% of CPU limited situations.

You can spend the same amount as a dual-core to get a much lower clocked quad-core, which?ll be slower in 99% of CPU limited situations. Or you can spend a lot more to get four cores clocked at dual-core levels, but 99% of games still won?t run faster.

That?s why quad-core doesn?t currently make sense.

Barring the future necessity of quad cores for multithreading (that's the way things are going), quad cores in themselves (architecturally) are still the fastest CPU's on the market given the i7 series.
Have you looked at the plethora of benchmarks I?ve provided that demonstrated flat-lining?

Can you please list the 3D games you play (and the settings you play them at) which provide significant performance gains from quad core over a dual-core? Thanks.

However, I'm going to submit that you'll see a much larger benefit grabbing a $200 core i7 920 rather than saving $50-60 and getting a good dual core and putting the saved money towards a better graphics card(s).
What utter nonsense:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16819115037
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16819115202

$160 for an E8400, or $280 for a i7 920. That?s almost twice as much to get four cores @ 2.66 Hz vs two cores @ 3 GHz. And again, in 99% of CPU limited situations that quad will be slower than the E8400.

So with the extra $120, let?s see what we can do with GPUs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814102824
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814161276

$95 for a 4850, and $190 for 4890. So for an extra $95 we can go from a 4850 to a 4890 and get about a 40%-100% performance gain overall (scroll down for more results):

http://www.computerbase.de/art...rmancerating_qualitaet

I?ll repeat again: quad core simply doesn?t make sense. Get a high-clocked mainstream dual-core and then pair it with the fastest GPU setup you can afford, and you?ll reap the maximum performance benefit in games. And it?ll still be cheaper overall too.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004

So because some games don't use a quad core to it's fullest potential, you recommend getting a dual core instead? That's very shortsighted, to say the least.
No, I recommend dual core because 99% of games don?t take advantage of quad core, and of the 1% that do, most nullify the performance difference when any reasonable detail level is used.
And 97% of those games are so old that could play them on a single core CPU and wouldn't notice the difference anyway. Since those old 97% of games also don't need an SLI or CF set-up, why bother getting that too? Honestly, if you're going to make stupid arguments, I'll just ignore them.

My Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz is two years old, and multithreading was just coming out at the time. Now, the CPU is still fast, and thanks to the extra cores, I'm able to take greater advantage of multithreaded applications.
My E6850 is also two years old and the CPU is still fast too. I?ve also repeatedly demonstrated how my GTX285 massively bottlenecks this processor, and repeatedly demonstrated how quad core is a waste of time.
Because when you play something like Supreme Commander it's just as fast, right? Or how about the tens of future game titles that support quad core? Like I said, your viewpoint is incredibly shortsighted.

Originally posted by: BFG10KYour CPU is fast by virtue of your overclock, not because it has four cores. If your clock was 3 GHz then it would perform exactly the same as mine in 99% of CPU limited situations.

You can spend the same amount as a dual-core to get a much lower clocked quad-core, which?ll be slower in 99% of CPU limited situations. Or you can spend a lot more to get four cores clocked at dual-core levels, but 99% of games still won?t run faster.

That?s why quad-core doesn?t currently make sense.
Nope. http://xbitlabs.com/articles/c...y/core2quad-q6600.html A few of things to take away from this article: First, it's two years old, so everything it shows about the quad core vs. dual core comparison is even more pertinent today. Second, note that how in everything besides gaming, the quad core absolutely dominates the dual core (something to consider for general system use, more on that later). However, third, even in some games that aren't multithreaded, the lower-clocked quad core still is as fast or faster than the higher clocked quad core why? (hint: system resources).

Barring the future necessity of quad cores for multithreading (that's the way things are going), quad cores in themselves (architecturally) are still the fastest CPU's on the market given the i7 series.
Have you looked at the plethora of benchmarks I?ve provided that demonstrated flat-lining?

Can you please list the 3D games you play (and the settings you play them at) which provide significant performance gains from quad core over a dual-core? Thanks.
plethora, noun: excess, superfluity. I would have used the word "some," and to characterize it further, "some useless benchmarks." I already stated that linking to linear FPS games and demanding they're the end all to gaming benchmarks is foolish, but for some reason that didn't sink in. They're good for testing graphics cards, that's what they stress, they don't test CPUs. There's tons of other games out there that do - RTSs, MMOs, etc. In the end, quad core will always been the fastest at everything because i7 is the fastest CPU series on the market and the i7 series (for now) is only quad core, or do you not follow that logic? As far as the benefits of gaming with quad core - every game benefits. I guess this is a good time to establish the point that if you're building a high-end gaming machine, buying anything less than a good quad core (and probably an i7 series CPU) is making a mistake. With my current computer, I can play a game, rip a DVD, download some torrents, virus scan, and listen to music without a single slowdown, can you? No. By artificially blinding yourself from staring at (some) benchmarks and not seeing the use of quad core beyond a single gaming application (regardless of the benefits they already show), your shortsightedness has lead you to build and recommend an inferior system.

However, I'm going to submit that you'll see a much larger benefit grabbing a $200 core i7 920 rather than saving $50-60 and getting a good dual core and putting the saved money towards a better graphics card(s).
What utter nonsense:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16819115202

$160 for an E8400, or $280 for a i7 920. That?s almost twice as much to get four cores @ 2.66 Hz vs two cores @ 3 GHz. And again, in 99% of CPU limited situations that quad will be slower than the E8400.

So with the extra $120, let?s see what we can do with GPUs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814102824
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814161276

$95 for a 4850, and $190 for 4890. So for an extra $95 we can go from a 4850 to a 4890 and get about a 40%-100% performance gain overall (scroll down for more results):

http://www.computerbase.de/art...rmancerating_qualitaet

I?ll repeat again: quad core simply doesn?t make sense. Get a high-clocked mainstream dual-core and then pair it with the fastest GPU setup you can afford, and you?ll reap the maximum performance benefit in games. And it?ll still be cheaper overall too.
So I guess you're playing the role of the noob that knows how to google newegg? I'm sure that's really going to add credibility to all the "investigating" you do. I mean honestly, if your goal is to go join the Dell Forums, then you're golden; I mistakenly thought Anandtech was a site for hardware enthusiasts.

The Core i7 920 has been on sale for $200 every couple of weeks all summer from places like Microcenter, Superbiiz, etc., that's why I stated $200. In the end, if $50 saved on getting half the CPU cores means that much to you, you need to go put in some more hours and build a decent machine. The point is that quad core is so cheap right now, there's no reason not to get one. Even if the applications you run don't have more than 2 threads, Windows and many other operating systems are all multithreaded and can more than take advantage of the extra horsepower available. If all you do is run canned benchmarks all day, one at a time, then sure, dual core will probably be fine for you. If you actually use a computer, you'll notice a substantial difference.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

The Core i7 920 has been on sale for $200 every couple of weeks all summer from places like Microcenter, Superbiiz, etc., that's why I stated $200. In the end, if $50 saved on getting half the CPU cores means that much to you, you need to go put in some more hours and build a decent machine. The point is that quad core is so cheap right now, there's no reason not to get one. Even if the applications you run don't have more than 2 threads, Windows and many other operating systems are all multithreaded and can more than take advantage of the extra horsepower available. If all you do is run canned benchmarks all day, one at a time, then sure, dual core will probably be fine for you. If you actually use a computer, you'll notice a substantial difference.

MrK6, the point BFG is trying to illustrate is that if "you" are constrained by a budget, spend more of it towards the videocard because for majority of games and gaming situations you would not benefit from a Core i7 920 over say a C2D 6850. This is because in the real world you will be using 8AA or at least 4AA on 1920x1080/1200 or higher on a 24 inch monitor or w/e. Otherwise what was the point of buying a $200 graphics card?

Sure, you can run 1680x1050 0aa and a core i7 will have higher framerates than a C2D/Q architecture no doubt: Benches

But when you are already in the 90s+ in frames, who cares?

In reality once you crank 8AA and playing at 'real' world resolutions, the graphics card will be brought down to its knees that not even 10 Ghz Core i9 will help you.

So from a point of current S775 owners, spending $100 DDR3 ram, $150 new mobo + $280 new cpu hardly makes any sense! That's why I sold my 8800GTS 320 and got a 4890. Now I can handle 1920x1080 again :)

However, for someone building a brand new system from scratch today, yes I agree with MrK6 that it makes a lot of sense to spend extra $50-100 to get the cheapest Core i5 for example over an aging dual core S775 system. But that's not what BFG was arguying. However, it's also a lot more fun pushing Core i5/7 to 4.0ghz hehe

Videocard is by far the most limiting factor for any modern system with a C2D/Q. In other words you won't get 2x the framerates in 95% of games by going from C2D 2.4ghz to a Core i7 2.66 ghz but you will get 2x the performance going from 8800GT to GTX275. That's why the graphics card is where the $ should be spent first. All too often you see Core i7 systems with Intel GMA :Q, 8800GTs, 9800GTX+s and 4670s, when a C2D E6600 with GTX275 will smack them sideways.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: RussianSensation

MrK6, the point BFG is trying to illustrate is that if "you" are constrained by a budget, spend more of it towards the videocard because for majority of games and gaming situations you would not benefit from a Core i7 920 over say a C2D 6850. This is because in the real world you will be using 8AA or at least 4AA on 1920x1080/1200 or higher on a 24 inch monitor or w/e. Otherwise what was the point of buying a $200 graphics card?
Well, with comments like this:

Originally posted by: BFG10KIf you?ve got $1000 to burn on a i7 then it?s a far better idea to go with CF/SLI and witness much bigger and more far-reaching performance gains than you ever would with quad-core.
that's tough to decipher. I mean, if your budget if $1000 for CPU alone, pinching pennies all the way back to a dual core so you can get some sick Tri-SLI set-up is stupidity. I guess you'd have assign a quantitative restraint in order to give any credit to the "buy a dual core argument." The other thing is are we considering a NEW system or an upgrade? For an upgrade, I agree that you don't have to rush out and grab a core i7 - I mean, look at me, I didn't because there was no reason to (using cost vs. benefit analysis).

I'm more arguing on the new build side. Even if your budget was so restrained (again, my first response is go work more and do it once, do it right) that you're forced into the $150-175 CPU price range, I would go for a Q8400 over an E8400 in a heartbeat. I've built a couple of systems with Q8400 and they are absolutely fantastic CPU's for the money (especially once overclocked into the 3.6-3.8GHz range). The thing is, if you show benchmark after benchmark of "oh, there's no CPU bottlenecking, you don't need a quad core," that's false logic. The architecture is fast enough that there's no bottlenecking. Therefore, it is logical to get the same architecture with more cores, since that is a GIVEN bottleneck upon the inevitable rise of the multithreading area. For example, you can say, my E6850 is more than fast enough for 99% of all games, you don't need quad core. Well, I can say my Q6600 is more than fast enough for 99% of all games (given they're the same architecture), AND current games supporting more than 2 threads (as well as future titles). This isn't even considering the non-gaming advantages of quad core.

So I suppose it's all a situational argument. If you have an E6600 and a 7900GTX and want to upgrade for the best-bang-for-your-buck experience and can only buy one part, then yes, I completely agree a graphics card should be #1 on the list. If you have an E6600 and a GTX285 and you want to upgrade for a better gaming experience, unless you're playing at 2560x1600, you should grab an i7.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

And 97% of those games are so old that could play them on a single core CPU and wouldn't notice the difference anyway.
Right, but with the market and pricing as it is, there?s absolutely no point in getting a single core. That is to say, I can?t run out and get a single core E6850, and a dual-core E6850 is dirt cheap. These days, they?re giving me the second core for ?free? so of course I?m going to take it.

Also even at reasonable detail levels we can still see dual core shows a visible performance gain over single core in many situations, unlike quad core.

But yes, give me the choice between a single core 6 GHz, a dual-core 3 GHz, and a quad-core 1.5 GHz, and I?ll always pick the single core (assuming the cores are identical except in clock speed). The less a system relies on cores and the more it relies in clock speed, the more robust and consistent its performance will be because it?s not at the mercy of software.

Since those old 97% of games also don't need an SLI or CF set-up, why bother getting that too?
To run them at higher levels of AA than you can on a single card. If you?ve got $1000 to piss away on a system, SLI/CF still provides a vastly bigger benefit in older games than quad core does.

Because when you play something like Supreme Commander it's just as fast, right? Or how about the tens of future game titles that support quad core? Like I said, your viewpoint is incredibly shortsighted.
Again, list these titles. Show me the benchmarks. Simply waving your hand and stating ?tens of titles? doesn?t prove anything.

And after you list those tens of titles, I can list thousands of titles that will run faster on a E6850 compared to a Q6600. So you lose again.

Nope. http://xbitlabs.com/articles/c...y/core2quad-q6600.html A few of things to take away from this article: First, it's two years old, so everything it shows about the quad core vs. dual core comparison is even more pertinent today.
Here?s the 3D game section: http://xbitlabs.com/articles/c...uad-q6600_8.html#sect0

So out of the six gaming benchmarks, four were faster on the dual core. Also the games were run at 1024x768 with no AA.

Tell me MrK6, do you run your games at 1024x768 with no AA? Do you think anyone that buys an i7 system would do so? If not, then what relevance do your benchmarks have, other than producing artificially contrived situations to show a difference?

Or perhaps you were referring to the SYSmark or PCMark scores? LMAO.

If you?re going to link to results, don?t link to something that continues to prove me right.

Second, note that how in everything besides gaming, the quad core absolutely dominates the dual core (something to consider for general system use, more on that later). However, third, even in some games that aren't multithreaded, the lower-clocked quad core still is as fast or faster than the higher clocked quad core why? (hint: system resources).
We aren?t talking about those situations; we?re talking about the situations where the CPUs relate to GPU performance. It has been repeatedly shown that at any reasonably detail level the GPU becomes the primary bottleneck, thereby erasing what little difference there was from quad core.

I already stated that linking to linear FPS games and demanding they're the end all to gaming benchmarks is foolish, but for some reason that didn't sink in. They're good for testing graphics cards, that's what they stress, they don't test CPUs.
I see. So my real world scenarios are ?foolish?, but your 1024x768 AA-less benchmarks are perfectly useful, are they? :roll:

Again I?ll ask, who games at the settings you showed us? Do you? If not, why do you expect anyone else to?

There's tons of other games out there that do - RTSs, MMOs, etc.
Again, show me these ?tons? of games. I want to see them. Thanks.

In the end, quad core will always been the fastest at everything because i7 is the fastest CPU series on the market and the i7 series (for now) is only quad core, or do you not follow that logic?
No, it will not be the fastest at everything because GPU limitations cause flat-lining. Because this happens at any reasonable detail levels, it makes no sense to be sinking money into the part that isn?t the primary bottleneck. Again, if you?re really that concerned about performance and you have such a large budget, a far better option is to go with CF/SLI.

As far as the benefits of gaming with quad core - every game benefits.
Rubbish. To disprove that statement all I have to do is show a game where there?s flat-lining, and I?ve done this repeatedly.

I guess this is a good time to establish the point that if you're building a high-end gaming machine, buying anything less than a good quad core (and probably an i7 series CPU) is making a mistake. With my current computer, I can play a game, rip a DVD, download some torrents, virus scan, and listen to music without a single slowdown, can you? No. By artificially blinding yourself from staring at (some) benchmarks and not seeing the use of quad core beyond a single gaming application (regardless of the benefits they already show), your shortsightedness has lead you to build and recommend an inferior system.
I?m not going down that road because we aren?t talking about that. Again, we?re talking about CPU performance and how it relates to GPU performance.

So I guess you're playing the role of the noob that knows how to google newegg? I'm sure that's really going to add credibility to all the "investigating" you do. I mean honestly, if your goal is to go join the Dell Forums, then you're golden; I mistakenly thought Anandtech was a site for hardware enthusiasts.
Nope, I?m just linking to one spot to keep things consistent. I could?ve used pricewatch and picked the cheapest prices available, but the end result would?ve been the same.

The Core i7 920 has been on sale for $200 every couple of weeks all summer from places like Microcenter, Superbiiz, etc., that's why I stated $200.
The same equally applies to any of the parts I linked to; any of them can be on sale, and can be cheaper than the prices I linked to, thereby keeping my points valid.

In the end, if $50 saved on getting half the CPU cores means that much to you, you need to go put in some more hours and build a decent machine.
Where did this $50 come from? And even if it was $50, I?d still be rather putting it towards a faster GPU than towards a part that will demonstrate flat-lining.

The point is that quad core is so cheap right now, there's no reason not to get one.
That?s utter bullshit and you know it; especially the i7 platform which requires a new motherboard and new memory.

To get quad-core at the same price as dual-core, the processor has to be clocked substantially lower, thereby making 99% of CPU limited situations slower. We?ve been over this repeatedly already. For the same money, your performance is less overall.

If you actually use a computer, you'll notice a substantial difference.
I use a computer, and didn?t even notice two cores. Processor intensive task still make the machine sluggish. No matter how many cores you throw at the problem, your disk I/O speed is still the same, as is your memory bandwidth.

I mean, if your budget if $1000 for CPU alone, pinching pennies all the way back to a dual core so you can get some sick Tri-SLI set-up is stupidity.
Why? Tri-SLI will actually give a benefit in games, unlike a $1000 quad-core which is simply pissing money away.

Again, I personally wouldn?t sink money into tri-SLI either because it?s not cost-effective, but it?s still far more beneficial than quad core.

The thing is, if you show benchmark after benchmark of "oh, there's no CPU bottlenecking, you don't need a quad core," that's false logic.
Why is it false logic? It demonstrates the part you?re sinking money into isn?t affecting performance, so you should sink it elsewhere. It might be hip and cool to get onto the multi-core bandwidth, but that trend seldom translates into actual performance gains.

For example, you can say, my E6850 is more than fast enough for 99% of all games, you don't need quad core. Well, I can say my Q6600 is more than fast enough for 99% of all games (given they're the same architecture), AND current games supporting more than 2 threads (as well as future titles).
You can say that, which is my point. Why pay almost double for a part that flat-lines just like the cheaper part?

If you have an E6600 and a GTX285 and you want to upgrade for a better gaming experience, unless you're playing at 2560x1600, you should grab an i7.
I absolutely disagree with this. Again, I don?t think you realize just how much video cards bottleneck games these days.

Using an E6850, a GTX260+ is ~50% faster than a 4850, and a GTX285 is 30% faster than a GTX260+. Or to put it another way, the GTX285 is about twice as fast as the 4850. Also a 4890 is about 40%-100% faster than a 4850.

An i7 simply doesn?t fit into that equation because it?d gain almost nothing at real-world gaming settings.

I?ll be upgrading my GPU again with the next generation and I?ll keep my E6850, and I expect to experience huge performance gains just like I have from my last three video cards.

I?d easily take an E6600 + GTX285 system over an i7 + 4850 because the former will be about twice as fast in gaming at realistic settings.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
CPU limitations are pretty rare. Even that X2 3800+, one of the slowest dual cores ever made, would be fine at 2.5ghz and it can hit that speed no problem. Tom's Hardware would have to pull out an AGP board that can run a quad core to really make the argument IMO.

99% of the time, people who like games should invest in a better GPU, not a better CPU.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I have a simple, general rule that I base my purchase decisions (or recommendations) on.

- Better monitor before better GPU ($500 video card for $150 monitor makes little sense)
- Better GPU before better CPU ($300 CPU for $100 GPU makes little sense)
- Better speakers before better sound card ($100 sound card for $50 speakers make little sense)
- etc.

For gaming, of course. After that, there should be individualized decisions to make. As we all know, games will be bound by the CPU or the GPU, and unfortunately it's one or the other. Really, a case-by-case (including the game titles one plan to play) is the only answer if we were to avoid circular reasonings, IMO.

Aug 11, 2008
Originally posted by: vj8usa
I honestly don't understand how the numbers Tomshardware is getting are even possible. According to them, a 30% clock speed increase is netting over a 200% increase in framerates in some cases (FC2 on the 3850 goes from 20.2 to 61.6 FPS, for instance). How can the performance increase be greater than the clockspeed increase?

I also agree that the increase seems out of line. Usually the increase in framerate pecrentage is less than the overclocking percentage. I could see even maybe a 50 pct increase, but two to three times with a 30% overclock seems totally impossible.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
Originally posted by: frozentundra123456
Originally posted by: vj8usa
I honestly don't understand how the numbers Tomshardware is getting are even possible. According to them, a 30% clock speed increase is netting over a 200% increase in framerates in some cases (FC2 on the 3850 goes from 20.2 to 61.6 FPS, for instance). How can the performance increase be greater than the clockspeed increase?

I also agree that the increase seems out of line. Usually the increase in framerate pecrentage is less than the overclocking percentage. I could see even maybe a 50 pct increase, but two to three times with a 30% overclock seems totally impossible.

It's not impossible if you fuck up the testing, which is what I believe THG did. Look at the results I posted (X2 @ 2.00 GHz with HD3850) and they were no where near as low as their results. I'm going to go ahead and update that post to include the Athlon X2 @ 3.1 GHz in a little bit...

Yeh I edited in those results. Going from 2.00 GHz to 3.1 Ghz (a 55% increase in clockspeed) yielded about an increase in average framerate of 38%.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002

Super Snip

While many of your points are valid, there is one thing you are overlooking. There isn't now, nor will there ever be, a game that an E6850 can run that a Q6600 can not. There are now, and will be more in the future, games that a Q6600 can run that an E6850 can not. As far as the E6850 outperforming the Q6600 in old games, that's pointless. Nobody cares that the E6850 gets 350fps when the Q6600 gets 300fps. There isn't a single game where someone could "upgrade" from a Q6600 to an E6850 and notice an improvement without an fps counter. Not a single one. There are games out right now that one would notice an fps improvement even with game details maxed out when upgrading from an E6850 to a Q6600 without any kind of fps counter because the gains are tangible.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: BFG10K"Holy snip, Batman!"
For the sake of post management (and my tablet's 1280x800 screen), I snipped out your posts but I'll respond in the same order.

1) But the simple fact of the matter is that a CPU is only as useful as the software it's running. Given that we're moving into the multithreading era of software, the fact that you'd take the 6GHz single core is, again, shortsighted. Without digressing into a discussion of software, like all things in life - specialization and teamwork gets the job done faster. Ford figured that out over 100 years. Multithreading is the future, as the limit is shifting from the capabilities of the hardware to the software and the skill of the programmers, nothing will change that.

2) But they don't. Any current gen (high performance card) can pretty much max out it's AA capabilities on any older generation game. The fact that you're many times software limited due to lack of SLI/CF support also negates the fact. My point is that stating that 95/97/99/whatever% of games do something is a useless statistic since it doesn't pertain to the focus of performance enhancements - current games.

3) You contradict yourself in your posts, but I don't think you realize it. If you consistently state that "games flat line in CPU performance comparisons, there's no reason to get quad core" you can't also state "the E6850 will run faster than a Q6600:" the statements contradict each other. The CPUs are of the same architecture - the only difference is that the Q6600 has two more cores. Therefore games either run the same OR the Q6600 runs faster. There are current games that support quad core - Supreme Commander, Lost Planet, etc. and future games that are really touting it (Alan Wake, probably many others). The point isn't how many games actually support it, but the fact is you can only gain when going to quad core (for the same price, may I add).

Originally posted by: BFG10KSo you lose again.
With comments like these, it leads me to believe you have too much invested here. It's difficult to have an intelligent argument with someone who takes discussion of computer hardware personally. I'll stop if it's too much.

4)http://xbitlabs.com/articles/c...uad-q6600_8.html#sect0 - I'm seeing that the Q6600 wins all five game benchmarks - at a slower clockspeed no less (3.6GH compared to the 3.85GHz of the E6850). Are you referring to the stock clock benches? If so, let me again remind you that this is an enthusiast website, and the Dell Forums are always open. Also, it seems you have a fundamental lack of understanding of the concept of bottlenecking, so let me explain. The computer functions as an entire machine, with each component contributing to the overall "output." Now, most 3D games largely stress the GPU. However, the CPU still has a role in contributing to the final output, the performance, of the application (game). In order to accentuate this role, you need to remove the large portion of performance the GPU adds to the overall "output," easily done by running the game at a low resolution and graphical settings. Here - the GPU is removed as a factor, since it can easily do it's "part," and it is possible to see where the bottleneck due to the CPU lies. In the cases of these games, most of the FPS numbers for both CPUs are well beyond where most video cards start to choke at typical graphical settings, so again, why buy a dual core for the same price as a quad core, especially when the quad core is shown to be faster?

Originally posted by: BFG10KIf you?re going to link to results, don?t link to something that continues to prove me right.
But you misread the results and they defeated every point you made...(?)

5)Kind of replying to all the rest - I think you're falling under the false logic that you're accusing me of falling under. Let me explain: you insist that isolated benchmarks like the ones I link to are useless because they aren't "real world gaming scenarios." Let me postulate - why do you think that yours are? Because they use higher graphical settings to test video cards? That makes them even more useless. Canned graphical benchmarks are one of the most useless ways to compare CPU gaming performance - I'd take a 3DMark score over it any day. The reason is they don't stress CPUs - the live, dynamic environments of real game play actually do. By a fantastic car analogy - saying a fast dual core CPU is the best gaming CPU because it performs the same or higher at many canned benchmarks is like saying a drag car is the best car because it does the fastest quarter-mile. However, you're generalizing under the fallacy that these benchmarks actually mimic real world games, which they don't. Just like when you take a drag car out onto a normal road, you'll find it's performance is severely hindered. By further analogy, the quad core is like a Corvette - while it's quarter-mile isn't the fastest, it's still very respectable AND it handles all types of roads well. The key point here is versatility.

Another point to be made is general system performance. The dual core cannot even touch the quad core, and I think having a quadcore leads to a better gaming performance. But I'm going to guess you've never used a quad core machine (or at least for some time), based on statements like this -
Originally posted by: BFG10KI use a computer, and didn?t even notice two cores. Processor intensive task still make the machine sluggish. No matter how many cores you throw at the problem, your disk I/O speed is still the same, as is your memory bandwidth.
which is simply not the case. There's a night and day difference between a dual and quad core machine. This leads me to ask - why do you argue against a part you've never even used? More so, HOW can you argue against it if you've never used it (and all you've seen is benchmarks). I've used both dual core and quad core machines.

So, in summary:
-Most CPU performance in games is architecturally limited (everything else is variable). Therefore, having the fastest architecture is the #1 performance priority
-In games that are multithreaded, matching or exceeding the maximum threads with cores generates the highest performance. However, there is no disadvantage to having more cores than threads.
-Quad core CPUs show numerous computing advantages over dual cores beyond the scope of gaming, especially in universal system performance.
-In today's market, it is just as cheap to get a quad core as it is to get a dual core. Given that the architectures of today's CPUs are more than fast enough to run anything thrown at them, the next bottleneck, the number of cores, should be a priority. Since there is no (or little) price difference between dual and quad core, there is NO reason to RECOMMEND a dual core for a gaming-centered machine.

Originally posted by: dguy6789

Super Snip

While many of your points are valid, there is one thing you are overlooking. There isn't now, nor will there ever be, a game that an E6850 can run that a Q6600 can not. There are now, and will be more in the future, games that a Q6600 can run that an E6850 can not. As far as the E6850 outperforming the Q6600 in old games, that's pointless. Nobody cares that the E6850 gets 350fps when the Q6600 gets 300fps. There isn't a single game where someone could "upgrade" from a Q6600 to an E6850 and notice an improvement without an fps counter. Not a single one. There are games out right now that one would notice an fps improvement even with game details maxed out when upgrading from an E6850 to a Q6600 without any kind of fps counter because the gains are tangible.
Exactly.

Now I'm not saying that everyone that has dual core MUST upgrade to a quad core, but that the next time you build a new system or upgrade your CPU, there's absolutely no reason to buy a dual core over a quad core - you'll only get worse performance (if not currently, then eventually).

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

1) But the simple fact of the matter is that a CPU is only as useful as the software it's running. Given that we're moving into the multithreading era of software, the fact that you'd take the 6GHz single core is, again, shortsighted.
It might be the future, but it doesn?t change my point. A dual-core 3 GHz processor can at best match a single core 6 GHz single core (assuming everything else is the same), but only with 100% perfectly scaling code on all cores, which is something that will basically never happen. And the more cores you have, the less likely each will be running optimally.

Remember, multi-core programming still isn?t a solved problem despite many great minds working on it for many years. You can?t just spin off a bunch of threads and expect any kind of performance gain by doing so.

That?s why given the choice I?ll always take the highest clock speeds with the lowest amount of cores because I?ll get more consistent performance than something that has a lot of cores but low clock speeds. And my part will often cost less too, which means I can allocate more funds to where they?re needed the most: the graphics card.

The amount of software that even benefits from dual-core is a drop in the bucket compared to what is actually out there; we just see it more because it happens to affect the popular programs that reviewers test. That and because the second core is given to me for ?free? and the processor itself is cheap, dual-core makes sense. The same doesn?t currently apply to quad core.

2) But they don't. Any current gen (high performance card) can pretty much max out it's AA capabilities on any older generation game. The fact that you're many times software limited due to lack of SLI/CF support also negates the fact. My point is that stating that 95/97/99/whatever% of games do something is a useless statistic since it doesn't pertain to the focus of performance enhancements - current games.
I don?t think you understand the significance of SLI/CF AA; these modes are not available on single cards. Furthermore they automatically scale without issue because the system behaves like a single card.

As for older games, I regularly benchmark 1999 titles on single GPUs using high AA levels, and in Quake 3 and UT99 for example I got over a 35% performance gain from my GTX260+ to a GTX285. In fact in both games the GTX285 was much more playable. So yes, more GPU power can almost always benefit old games, even ten year old titles.

In contrast, 99.9999999% of gaming situations will show no benefit on a quad-core. Again, it?s rather foolish to sink money into a part that almost never impacts gaming performance.

As for newer games, they?re almost always GPU limited so that?s where SLI/CF can provide a big performance benefit. The fact is, if you?re that worried about gaming performance then you need to stop buying extra CPU cores and start buying extra GPUs.

3) You contradict yourself in your posts, but I don't think you realize it. If you consistently state that "games flat line in CPU performance comparisons, there's no reason to get quad core" you can't also state "the E6850 will run faster than a Q6600:" the statements contradict each other. The CPUs are of the same architecture - the only difference is that the Q6600 has two more cores. Therefore games either run the same OR the Q6600 runs faster.
Yes, my stance is that the CPUs flat-line because the GPU is the primary bottleneck at any reasonable detail levels. I?m also stating because a quad-core costs more than a dual-core, it doesn?t make sense to be sinking money into the part that doesn?t bottleneck performance.

The only reason I mention CPU limited situations (what you call the ?contradiction?) is because you insist on pulling up unrealistic gaming scenarios to illustrate differences. If you insist on using these ridiculous situations, then I?ll continue to point out that your argument fails there since a higher clocked dual-core is almost always faster than a lower clocked quad core.

There are current games that support quad core - Supreme Commander, Lost Planet, etc. and future games that are really touting it (Alan Wake, probably many others). The point isn't how many games actually support it, but the fact is you can only gain when going to quad core (for the same price, may I add).
Again I?ve asked you repeatedly for example benchmarks of these games but you?ve failed to deliver. All you?ve shown me is some 1024x768 games running without AA, and a good portion of those ran faster on the dual-core.

And it isn?t the ?same price? at all. Please stop repeating this misinformation. If it was the same price then we wouldn?t be having this conversation.

Are you referring to the stock clock benches? If so, let me again remind you that this is an enthusiast website, and the Dell Forums are always open.
Oh lordy, where to even start with this?

The quad-core was overclocked by 50%, while the dual-core was only overclocked by 28%.

Are you trying to say different overclocked percentages somehow make the comparison legitimate, while stock clocks ? the actual rated values that are fixed and guaranteed for everyone - are invalid?

Are you trying to say that every quad-core will overclock by 50% while every dual-core can only do 28%?

Are you trying to say quad-core inherently overclocks better than dual-core in every case?

Are you trying to say these overclocking levels are 100% guaranteed on every processor?

If you are, that?s rather interesting considering not even Intel makes such guarantees or claims.

So before referring me to the Dell forums, why don?t you learn the basics about overclocking, with rule #1 being that running hardware outside of its original operating specifications is neither guaranteed nor completely fail-safe. Hell, even factory overclocked hardware often doesn?t work properly.

As for comparing different overclocked percentages and trying to pass that as the norm, while ignoring stock values?that?s comical beyond belief.

In order to accentuate this role, you need to remove the large portion of performance the GPU adds to the overall "output," easily done by running the game at a low resolution and graphical settings. Here - the GPU is removed as a factor, since it can easily do it's "part," and it is possible to see where the bottleneck due to the CPU lies. In the cases of these games, most of the FPS numbers for both CPUs are well beyond where most video cards start to choke at typical graphical settings,
Again, all you?re doing is artificially created contrived scenarios to demonstrated a point that doesn?t apply in real-world situations. In any real-world situation at any reasonable setting the GPU becomes the primary bottleneck and quad-core becomes irrelevant.

Again I?ll ask MrK6, do you game at 1024x768 with no AA?

Do you expect anyone that purchases a quad-core processor on your advice to be gaming at such a setting?

Of course not, and that?s why your entire premise is flawed because it?s based on scenarios that don?t apply in the real world.

so again, why buy a dual core for the same price as a quad core, especially when the quad core is shown to be faster?
But it isn?t faster; that?s my point. Even in your own contrived situations the higher clocked dual-core will be faster than the lower clocked quad-core more often than not (what you call the ?contradiction?).

Let me explain: you insist that isolated benchmarks like the ones I link to are useless because they aren't "real world gaming scenarios." Let me postulate - why do you think that yours are?
Mine are done at gaming settings people are likely to be running at, and are therefore more legitimate to draw inferences from. My settings are based on what people game at. Yours are not. How exactly are yours valid while mine aren?t?

Your benchmarks are theory at best, theory that doesn?t translate into the real world. They?re synthetic like 3DMark, CPUMark, and whatever. They make pretty graphs but mean precisely nothing in the real world.

Because they use higher graphical settings to test video cards? That makes them even more useless. Canned graphical benchmarks are one of the most useless ways to compare CPU gaming performance - I'd take a 3DMark score over it any day. The reason is they don't stress CPUs - the live, dynamic environments of real game play actually do.
Seriously, what a load of nonsense. Are we trying to establish the actual impact of CPUs in games or not? If all you?re trying to compare is synthetic CPU performance then go run some kind of CPU-Mark and don?t even bother with real programs.

However, you're generalizing under the fallacy that these benchmarks actually mimic real world games, which they don't.
This is simply comical beyond belief now. Again I?ll ask whether you think 1024x768 without AA is a more accurate representation in gaming space than 1680x1050 with 2xAA? Are you honestly suggesting your settings are somehow more relevant than mine?

Look at the Steam hardware survey. Look at the settings reviewers use. Look at the resolution polls online.

Do you expect anyone that purchases a quad-core processor on your advice to be gaming at such a setting?

If not, how are your settings relevant to anything other than theory?

These are very simple questions, so please answer them.

Another point to be made is general system performance. The dual core cannot even touch the quad core, and I think having a quadcore leads to a better gaming performance. But I'm going to guess you've never used a quad core machine (or at least for some time), based on statements like this ?
Funny, I was told exactly the same thing about dual-core but I never noticed what all the fuss is about. But again, if you see a benefit in the desktop then more power to you. That?s not what I?m arguing here. Also do not try to infer that I?ve never used quad-core.

-Most CPU performance in games is architecturally limited (everything else is variable). Therefore, having the fastest architecture is the #1 performance priority
Utter rubbish; the top priority is GPU performance unless you game at 1024x768 with no AA, which almost no-one does.

In games that are multithreaded, matching or exceeding the maximum threads with cores generates the highest performance.
Nope, you absolutely cannot infer that because the number of threads does not guarantee any kind of performance gain. Even games ten years old often spawned around half a dozen threads yet show no benefit from multi-core. Again, simply having multiple threads provides no guarantee of performance gains on multi-core.

In today's market, it is just as cheap to get a quad core as it is to get a dual core.
Again, this has been shown to be positively false and if you?re continuing to claim otherwise, then you need to produce evidence in the form of quad-core costing the same as a dual-core at the same clock speed. Your claim is trivial to disprove with multiple examples:

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/g...e.php/10705_3836771__2

In fact the higher the clocks, the larger the pricing disparity between dual and quad. $990 for a quad-core 3.33 GHz (compared to $270 for dual-core), and no doubt you expect the buyer to be gaming at 1024x768 with no AA, right? :roll:

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
BFG posted
Again, this has been shown to be positively false and if you?re continuing to claim otherwise, then you need to produce evidence in the form of quad-core costing the same as a dual-core at the same clock speed. Your claim is trivial to disprove with multiple examples:

The absolute price disparity is lower than in the past, and the absolute overall prices are also lower.

I believe you've been arguing that minor differences in clock speed, as well as the differences from dual to quad core, make little to no difference at all in your real world gameplay, where the video card matters. Well this type of argument does somewhat support the reasoning for going quad core.

For instance, on newegg the E8400 and Q8400 are the same price. The clock speeds do vary (as well as the cache), but for games which only make due with just two cores the Q8400 is going to be more than fast enough to satisfy high end video cards used with high graphical detail settings. But for games which can utilize quad core, the Q8400 will have the advantage, although at 25x16 it would be slight*. The Q8400 also comes with the other benefits of quad core, for other applications and for multitasking, and for someone looking to "future proof" it would be the safer purchase.

*Not only do most people, but most gamers don't even use 25x16. I don't particularly think this resolution is relevant to the real world, average gamer.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: cusideabelincoln

I believe you've been arguing that minor differences in clock speed, as well as the differences from dual to quad core, make little to no difference at all in your real world gameplay, where the video card matters. Well this type of argument does somewhat support the reasoning for going quad core.
No, the argument supports against going with quad-core since sinking money into the part that provides the least performance gain is not a worthwhile investment unless you have the fastest GPU platform around.

But for games which can utilize quad core, the Q8400 will have the advantage, although at 25x16 it would be slight*.
Again, no, it won?t; that?s the point. You don?t need 2560x1600 as even 1680x1050 with minimal AA will erase that difference.

I?ve repeatedly asked to see benchmarks of quad-core providing worthwhile performance gains at meaningful settings, but I?ve yet to see any. I?ve seen 1280x1024 with no AA, and I?ve seen 1024x768 with no AA, with a 50% overclocked quad against a 28% overclocked dual no less.

It has been repeatedly demonstrated that performance gains from quad-core only come in artificially contrived situations (e.g. 1024x768 with no AA), the sorts of settings a quad-core gamer is not going to be using.

I OTOH have provided a plethora of benchmarks demonstrating flat-lining at medium resolutions at minimal AA levels, resolutions that are actually used these days.

The Q8400 also comes with the other benefits of quad core, for other applications and for multitasking, and for someone looking to "future proof" it would be the safer purchase.
Multi-tasking - I?m not arguing that.

Future proofing ? almost never works. By the time quad-core is actually required then the current quad-core models will be far too obsolete to run the games properly anyway.

I don't particularly think this resolution is relevant to the real world, average gamer.
I haven?t produced any 2560x1600 benchmarks but I?ve certainly shown 1680x1050 and 1920x1200. I?d argue these are the most popular widescreen resolutions for gaming; certainly far more than 1024x768 or even 1280x1024.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

There are games out right now that one would notice an fps improvement even with game details maxed out when upgrading from an E6850 to a Q6600 without any kind of fps counter because the gains are tangible.
Yeah? Where? Show me.

Show me benchmark figures taken at reasonable detail levels and AA levels to back your claims.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
For what it's worth, I recently switched from a 3.6ghz E6750 to a 4ghz i7 920. From the Fraps counter, I noticed some moderate framerate improvements in two very specific situations: C&C3 8-player skirmish games after 15 minutes or so (when the AIs all have tons of units) and heavily packed UT3 Galtanor's Invasion games (with 30+ monsters present). It wasn't a big difference but just enough to be noticeable, and could have come from either the extra cores or the increased single-threaded performance. In all the other 20+ games I tried, I couldn't tell any difference at all. I got it more for numerical computation programs than games anyway.

It's worth keeping in mind that many programs use multiple cores but do not necessarily gain any significant improvement from them, and also that quite a few programs that scale with two cores gain nothing by going to four cores.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
I've noticed an increase in *minimum* frame rates in several 3d shooters and sim games going from a 3.2 ghz E2180 to a 2.8 ghz i920. A few spots where I remember frame rates dipping into the teens are no longer a problem. Granted, this isn't necessarily improvements in going from a dual to a quad -- but the extra cache, IPC efficiency and memory bandwidth are only available on the quad core flavor.

I occasionally play eve online, sometimes running as many as 4 clients at once while a bunch of other stuff is open. Yes, I'm pathetic. But the point is, that experience is better on a quad than a dual.

And lastly, the X58 chipset gives me two 16x PCIe lanes in case I decide to go with 5870x2x2 for a truly over the top quadfire experience. Once again, not possible with any dual core at the moment.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: BFG10KIt might be the future, but it doesn?t change my point. A dual-core 3 GHz processor can at best match a single core 6 GHz single core (assuming everything else is the same), but only with 100% perfectly scaling code on all cores, which is something that will basically never happen. And the more cores you have, the less likely each will be running optimally.

Remember, multi-core programming still isn?t a solved problem despite many great minds working on it for many years. You can?t just spin off a bunch of threads and expect any kind of performance gain by doing so.

That?s why given the choice I?ll always take the highest clock speeds with the lowest amount of cores because I?ll get more consistent performance than something that has a lot of cores but low clock speeds. And my part will often cost less too, which means I can allocate more funds to where they?re needed the most: the graphics card.
Except that in the reality, a 6GHz single core isn't feasible, while a 3GHz dual core is and, by extension, a 6GHz dual core isn't feasible, but a 3GHz quad core is. The simple fact is that as we reach the physical limits of of processing capabilities, we have to take alternate routes to achieve greater performance - enter multithreading. Quad cores exist for the same reason as SLI and CF - they don't scale perfectly, but 40/60/80% extra performance is still much better than nothing, and is far beyond the capabilities of any single part. And you state you'll get more consistent performance, but how much more? 5%, maybe 10% higher on average? You'd rather have that than a potential 60-80% jump in performance? This isn't even tackling the added benefits of simultaneous processing, which can add more than 100% performance. And I've already stated - the parts cost the same, this isn't a question of price, but what you get for your money.

Originally posted by: BFG10KThe amount of software that even benefits from dual-core is a drop in the bucket compared to what is actually out there; we just see it more because it happens to affect the popular programs that reviewers test. That and because the second core is given to me for ?free? and the processor itself is cheap, dual-core makes sense. The same doesn?t currently apply to quad core.
But if you want to run more than one of those single or dual threaded processes? Why artificially limit yourself? That's like making a list of errands and not organizing them by location - you'll spend much more time driving from the bank, to the store, to the pub, back to the store, to the bank, and then back to the store than if the list had been organized. More cores is like taking that same disorganized list, but having 3 drivers - one goes to the store, one to the bank, and one to the pub. In this analogy, the time wasted "driving" is both processing overhead AND real-world time wasted. And again, price isn't a factor since dual core and quad core can be had for pretty much the same price.

Originally posted by: BFG10KI don?t think you understand the significance of SLI/CF AA; these modes are not available on single cards. Furthermore they automatically scale without issue because the system behaves like a single card.
Except that it doesn't. You can't argue that scaling with CPU multithreading is horrible and wasteful while SLI/CF is fine - it's quite the opposite in my experience. Also, I don't get any extra AA modes when I go into SLI - 16xSSAA is still the max I have.

Originally posted by: BFG10KAs for older games, I regularly benchmark 1999 titles on single GPUs using high AA levels, and in Quake 3 and UT99 for example I got over a 35% performance gain from my GTX260+ to a GTX285. In fact in both games the GTX285 was much more playable. So yes, more GPU power can almost always benefit old games, even ten year old titles.
But you didn't say GPU power, you said SLI/CF. Obviously an overall faster GPU of the same architecture will give better performance, but that wasn't the point I negated.

Originally posted by: BFG10KIn contrast, 99.9999999% of gaming situations will show no benefit on a quad-core. Again, it?s rather foolish to sink money into a part that almost never impacts gaming performance.
But, again, you don't spend any extra money.

Originally posted by: BFG10KAs for newer games, they?re almost always GPU limited so that?s where SLI/CF can provide a big performance benefit. The fact is, if you?re that worried about gaming performance then you need to stop buying extra CPU cores and start buying extra GPUs.
A fine point, I'm not debating that at all - GPU power has much more of an impact on the performance of today's games over CPU power (clock speed, extra cores, or otherwise). My point is that it's shortsighted (to say the least) to recommend a dual core over a quad core for a modern gaming machine (or pretty much any PC that has a focus of performing well in applications).

Originally posted by: BFG10KYes, my stance is that the CPUs flat-line because the GPU is the primary bottleneck at any reasonable detail levels. I?m also stating because a quad-core costs more than a dual-core, it doesn?t make sense to be sinking money into the part that doesn?t bottleneck performance.
Again, quad cores don't cost more than dual cores. Since there is no discernible difference between the dual and quad core except in quad core-supported games, why are you giving up two extra cores for the same price?

Originally posted by: BFG10KThe only reason I mention CPU limited situations (what you call the ?contradiction?) is because you insist on pulling up unrealistic gaming scenarios to illustrate differences. If you insist on using these ridiculous situations, then I?ll continue to point out that your argument fails there since a higher clocked dual-core is almost always faster than a lower clocked quad core.
And again, so do you, more so because your benchmarks completely don't even consider real performance of CPUs in games, but for some reason you don't understand this (I thought my drag car analogy was pretty good, I guess not). And a higher clocked dual core is NOT always faster than a lower clocked quad core. Again, referring to the article I posted, a 3.6GHz clocked Q6600 bested a 3.85GHz E6850 in 5/5 gaming tests; why do I have to repeat all this? Actually read the article I posted otherwise you can't see where you're wrong.

Originally posted by: BFG10KAgain I?ve asked you repeatedly for example benchmarks of these games but you?ve failed to deliver. All you?ve shown me is some 1024x768 games running without AA, and a good portion of those ran faster on the dual-core.
Why should I post more benchmarks when you can't even be bothered to read the ones I have? Honestly, I feel like I'm talking to a child with his fingers in his ears going "NAH NAH NAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU." I've posted information to show that your points are wrong and you either did not read or refuse to acknowledge the proofs and continue to repeat incorrect information (which I have proven as wrong).

Originally posted by: BFG10KAnd it isn?t the ?same price? at all. Please stop repeating this misinformation. If it was the same price then we wouldn?t be having this conversation.
It pretty much is though:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16819115057

I realize the Q8400 has less cache, and you can probably save about $30 going dual core vs. quad core. So for $30 (in the scope of a typical $800-1000 build, mind you), you're giving up an entire extra dual core CPU, and all of the benefits it gives beyond just gaming. That isn't intelligent in the least.

Originally posted by: BFG10KOh lordy, where to even start with this?

The quad-core was overclocked by 50%, while the dual-core was only overclocked by 28%.
That actually brings up another great point for my argument - physical limitations of the silicon. Generally, dual cores aren't going to overclock much further than quad cores of the same architecture. The architecture, whether in quad core or dual core form, has its limitations. And, as I already stated and proved with benchmarks, the quad core doesn't need to run as fast as the dual core to outperform it, even in single-threaded applications (due to resource management).

Originally posted by: BFG10KAre you trying to say different overclocked percentages somehow make the comparison legitimate, while stock clocks ? the actual rated values that are fixed and guaranteed for everyone - are invalid?
They aren't invalid, they just aren't pertinent to what this enthusiast community is about. We wouldn't be having an involved discussion about the merits of CPU design if we were too scared/apathetic/dumb to not know about what goes on in that "metal box hooked up to the computer screen."

Originally posted by: BFG10KAre you trying to say that every quad-core will overclock by 50% while every dual-core can only do 28%?
I never said that. What a chip will overclock to is individual for each chip. It (probably) follows a nice bell-curve with some interesting outliers (both real crap chips and insane golden samples). However, most of the time, a higher-binned/higher speed chip will have less overclocking headroom then a lower binned chip of the same architecture. The reason is limitations arise from the architecture. For example, most Conroe chips topped out around 4.0GHz. Sure there were some fantastic chips that went further, but those are exceptions, not the rule.

Originally posted by: BFG10KAre you trying to say quad-core inherently overclocks better than dual-core in every case?
I didn't say anything even close to that, how on Earth did you come up with that. Again, overclocking limitations generally arise from an architecture, and lower-binned chips have further to go to reach that limitation, so by default they are better overclockers when compared using % increase over stock speed.

Originally posted by: BFG10KAre you trying to say these overclocking levels are 100% guaranteed on every processor?
Again, you're just grasping at straws, I never made any statements close to that, so how did you come up with that?

Originally posted by: BFG10KIf you are, that?s rather interesting considering not even Intel makes such guarantees or claims.

So before referring me to the Dell forums, why don?t you learn the basics about overclocking, with rule #1 being that running hardware outside of its original operating specifications is neither guaranteed nor completely fail-safe. Hell, even factory overclocked hardware often doesn?t work properly.

As for comparing different overclocked percentages and trying to pass that as the norm, while ignoring stock values?that?s comical beyond belief.
Good for you that you understand one of the basic truths of overclocking; it's a shame you can't understand basic English sentences - you didn't understand my point. The point was that the Q6600 and E6850 are pretty much the same architecture, and therefore will have similar limits. I showed that the Q6600, clock for clock, is faster than the E6850 even in games that don't support quad core. It is statistically improbable that you will get a chip that is an absolutely horrible overclocker. However, it is equally probable (at least from the data we have) that a Q6600 or E6850 will be a horrible overclocker. Since overclocking is largely architecturally-limited, I'll postulate that the limits of a horrible overclocking Q6600 or E6850 are relatively similar - therefore, considering overclocking, the Q6600, being a similar price, is without a doubt a better purchase.

Originally posted by: BFG10KAgain, all you?re doing is artificially created contrived scenarios to demonstrated a point that doesn?t apply in real-world situations. In any real-world situation at any reasonable setting the GPU becomes the primary bottleneck and quad-core becomes irrelevant.
Cool, then why do you recommend paying the same price for two less cores if the performance of the CPU is irrelevant (because quad core shows tremendous benefits outside the scope of gaming).

Originally posted by: BFG10KAgain I?ll ask MrK6, do you game at 1024x768 with no AA?

Of course not, and that?s why your entire premise is flawed because it?s based on scenarios that don?t apply in the real world.
Again, you need to learn more about computer hardware and how it pertains to the performance of applications (gaming or otherwise) if you want to stop making incorrect statements. The purpose of those benchmarks is to accentuate the portion of the work the CPU does to add to the overall performance of the game. That's what those show. It wasn't shown to be an example of real world gaming, but to prove the fact that the quad core is a faster and better gaming processor, something you insisted a dual core was. Obviously it doesn't make a huge difference in real world gaming, but it just negates another one of your points (the dual core being faster in most games). Again, if the quad core is faster in games (and much faster in everything else), and costs the same price, why are you recommending to get a dual core?

Originally posted by: BFG10KBut it isn?t faster; that?s my point. Even in your own contrived situations the higher clocked dual-core will be faster than the lower clocked quad-core more often than not (what you call the ?contradiction?).
Again, go read the gaming benchmarks. Quad core is faster in 5/5 gaming benchmarks.

Originally posted by: BFG10KMine are done at gaming settings people are likely to be running at, and are therefore more legitimate to draw inferences from.
Except that they aren't - canned benchmarks barely stress (if at all) the CPU. CPU stress comes from real world gaming, where dynamic environments, physics, AI, etc. must all be calculated in real time (instead of just read and processed)
Originally posted by: BFG10KMy settings are based on what people game at.
But your tests aren't.
Originally posted by: BFG10KYours are not. How exactly are yours valid while mine aren?t?
Your benchmarks are theory at best, theory that doesn?t translate into the real world. They?re synthetic like 3DMark, CPUMark, and whatever. They make pretty graphs but mean precisely nothing in the real world.
But they're much more relevant than yours. My benchmarks at least remove the GPU boost, and show a portion of the work the CPU does (the read and process part). Again, you need to learn more about hardware and how it pertains to application performance. Unless you test using real world gaming or benchmarks specifically designed for the CPU, it's laughable to generalize that canned GPU benchmarks have an significance regarding the performance of CPUs in real world gaming.

Originally posted by: BFG10KSeriously, what a load of nonsense. Are we trying to establish the actual impact of CPUs in games or not? If all you?re trying to compare is synthetic CPU performance then go run some kind of CPU-Mark and don?t even bother with real programs.
I kind of thought that I had already established it, but for some reason you didn't get it. Generally, any Core 2 Duo or Quad from 2006 onward overclocked to 3.0GHz+ is more than sufficient to run a modern day game. The reason to get a quad core is that, for a similar price, they give you the capability to receive massive performance boosts should a game support quad core (a situation that will only become more pertinent in the future).

Originally posted by: BFG10KThis is simply comical beyond belief now. Again I?ll ask whether you think 1024x768 without AA is a more accurate representation in gaming space than 1680x1050 with 2xAA? Are you honestly suggesting your settings are somehow more relevant than mine?

Look at the Steam hardware survey. Look at the settings reviewers use. Look at the resolution polls online.

If not, how are your settings relevant to anything other than theory?

These are very simple questions, so please answer them.
Most were answered in the above replies, but let me just reiterate so that I (hopefully) won't have to later - you need to learn more about computer hardware and how it affects game performance. The significance of the tests were to highlight some of the performance difference between the Q6600 and E6850 when it comes to gaming. 90% of the people who read that article understood that, for some reason you don't. Interestingly enough, the most common resolution used in steam games is 1280x1024, two resolution steps up from 1024x768 - good thing it's such a high resolution and doesn't add to my point or anything.

Originally posted by: BFG10KFunny, I was told exactly the same thing about dual-core but I never noticed what all the fuss is about.
I'd imagine it'd be tough to if all you do is run canned GPU benchmarks, I can see why.

Originally posted by: BFG10KBut again, if you see a benefit in the desktop then more power to you. That?s not what I?m arguing here. Also do not try to infer that I?ve never used quad-core.
I only go by the (lack of) information you post.

Originally posted by: BFG10KUtter rubbish; the top priority is GPU performance unless you game at 1024x768 with no AA, which almost no-one does.
I'm talking about GPU performance, I'm saying that in order to get the best gaming CPU performance, you need to get the fastest CPU architecture (intel i7). And this is very pertinent in overall gaming performance - look up some benchmarks on i7 unlocking the power of high-end SLI set-ups. Actually, I'll do it, since you seem to like to be spoon-fed information (and then interpret it incorrectly): http://www.guru3d.com/article/...me-performance-review/

Originally posted by: BFG10KNope, you absolutely cannot infer that because the number of threads does not guarantee any kind of performance gain. Even games ten years old often spawned around half a dozen threads yet show no benefit from multi-core. Again, simply having multiple threads provides no guarantee of performance gains on multi-core.
That's the exception, not the norm. Programmers don't waste time writing in multi-CPU support for the hell of it.

Originally posted by: BFG10KAgain, this has been shown to be positively false and if you?re continuing to claim otherwise, then you need to produce evidence in the form of quad-core costing the same as a dual-core at the same clock speed. Your claim is trivial to disprove with multiple examples:

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/g...e.php/10705_3836771__2

In fact the higher the clocks, the larger the pricing disparity between dual and quad. $990 for a quad-core 3.33 GHz (compared to $270 for dual-core), and no doubt you expect the buyer to be gaming at 1024x768 with no AA, right? :roll:
Read above, already showed the lack of significance of that point. The irony is you accentuated your lack of knowledge on the subject in your closing point, way to hit it home. You should probably get a Dell XPS with a dual core @ 3.33GHz, it's the fastest gaming machine in the world, amirite!?

Originally posted by: cusideabelincoln*Some very excellent points made*
Glad to see someone else is on the same page :).

Originally posted by: v8envy
I've noticed an increase in *minimum* frame rates in several 3d shooters and sim games going from a 3.2 ghz E2180 to a 2.8 ghz i920. A few spots where I remember frame rates dipping into the teens are no longer a problem. Granted, this isn't necessarily improvements in going from a dual to a quad -- but the extra cache, IPC efficiency and memory bandwidth are only available on the quad core flavor.

I occasionally play eve online, sometimes running as many as 4 clients at once while a bunch of other stuff is open. Yes, I'm pathetic. But the point is, that experience is better on a quad than a dual.

And lastly, the X58 chipset gives me two 16x PCIe lanes in case I decide to go with 5870x2x2 for a truly over the top quadfire experience. Once again, not possible with any dual core at the moment.
Exactly - the fastest and best gaming processor is currently the i7. Since it only comes in quad core, quad core is currently the best gaming processor.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Except that in the reality, a 6GHz single core isn't feasible, while a 3GHz dual core is and, by extension, a 6GHz dual core isn't feasible,
I didn?t say it was (currently), only that I would prefer one if I could get one.

but a 3GHz quad core is. The simple fact is that as we reach the physical limits of of processing capabilities, we have to take alternate routes to achieve greater performance - enter multithreading. Quad cores exist for the same reason as SLI and CF - they don't scale perfectly, but 40/60/80% extra performance is still much better than nothing, and is far beyond the capabilities of any single part.
None of this is relevant to anything I?ve stated.

And you state you'll get more consistent performance, but how much more? 5%, maybe 10% higher on average? You'd rather have that than a potential 60-80% jump in performance?
What are you talking about? The vast majority of CPU limited situations do not benefit from multi-core; therefore in those instances a 6 GHz single core will be twice as a fast as a 3 GHz dual-core, and a 3 GHz dual-core will be no better than a single core 3 GHz (assuming everything is the same except clock speeds).

Even the amount of titles that take advantage of two cores is but a drop in the bucket compared to the total number of Win32 games out there.

And I've already stated - the parts cost the same, this isn't a question of price, but what you get for your money.
And I?ve repeatedly stated that what you get overall is inferior because the overwhelming amount of applications do no benefit from quad-core. You?re simply trading clock speed (and cache sometimes) in exchange for more cores and getting a less robust system in the process.

But if you want to run more than one of those single or dual threaded processes?
You want to play more than one 3D game at a time? Why?

Even when it?s possible (the 3D API/driver often locks the device so it often isn?t), most games dramatically reduce their CPU usage when minimized in the background.

Except that it doesn't.
Do you even have the slightest clue about SLI/CF AA modes? Because based on your comments it appears not.

You can't argue that scaling with CPU multithreading is horrible and wasteful while SLI/CF is fine - it's quite the opposite in my experience. Also, I don't get any extra AA modes when I go into SLI - 16xSSAA is still the max I have.
So you?ve never used SLI AA modes, and know nothing about them?

But you didn't say GPU power, you said SLI/CF.
SLI/CF is GPU power, and it can still benefit those old games by running higher AA modes with no scaling required.

But, again, you don't spend any extra money.
Yes, I did. I spent it to get the same clock speed and cache size as the dual-core.

My point is that it's shortsighted (to say the least) to recommend a dual core over a quad core for a modern gaming machine (or pretty much any PC that has a focus of performing well in applications).
My point is that it?s shortsighted to be sinking money into buying more cores when you can still be buying as faster GPU system, because that?s where the real performance bottleneck is in games.

Again, quad cores don't cost more than dual cores.
To get the same clock speed and cache they most certainly do.

And again, so do you, more so because your benchmarks completely don't even consider real performance of CPUs in games, but for some reason you don't understand this (I thought my drag car analogy was pretty good, I guess not).
Heh, by ?real performance? you mean 1024x768 with no AA, right? :roll:

And a higher clocked dual core is NOT always faster than a lower clocked quad core.
I didn?t say it was; I said it was almost always faster. It?s right there in what you quoted.

Again, referring to the article I posted, a 3.6GHz clocked Q6600 bested a 3.85GHz E6850 in 5/5 gaming tests; why do I have to repeat all this?
Overclocking is neither guaranteed or fail-safe, and that makes your results questionable at best since there?s no guarantee anyone using those processor will get the same clock speeds.

OTOH the stock results are guaranteed by Intel because the processor would be faulty if they didn?t work.

Why do I have to repeat all this?

Why should I post more benchmarks when you can't even be bothered to read the ones I have?
Because the ones you posted don?t back your claims yet you continue to pretend they do. Furthermore you fail to answer even basic questions.

It pretty much is though:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16819115057

I realize the Q8400 has less cache, and you can probably save about $30 going dual core vs. quad core. So for $30 (in the scope of a typical $800-1000 build, mind you), you're giving up an entire extra dual core CPU, and all of the benefits it gives beyond just gaming.
It has more than less cache; the clock speed goes down from 3 GHz to 2.666 GHz.

That actually brings up another great point for my argument - physical limitations of the silicon. Generally, dual cores aren't going to overclock much further than quad cores of the same architecture. The architecture, whether in quad core or dual core form, has its limitations.
And yet on the flip-side quad-core has twice the chance of failure with overclocking given double the amount of cores have to be run outside of their rated spec compared to dual-core. In any case, my original point about running hardware outside of its rated spec still applies.

And, as I already stated and proved with benchmarks, the quad core doesn't need to run as fast as the dual core to outperform it, even in single-threaded applications (due to resource management).
And as I already stated, using settings no-one games at; these gains are nullified at any reasonable detail level.

They aren't invalid, they just aren't pertinent to what this enthusiast community is about. We wouldn't be having an involved discussion about the merits of CPU design if we were too scared/apathetic/dumb to not know about what goes on in that "metal box hooked up to the computer screen."
But overclocking isn?t guaranteed, regardless of whether you?re an enthusiast or not. Stock speeds are because the processor is faulty if it doesn?t hit them.

I never said that.
Then why do you try to draw inferences from those results and attempt to make them the norm? If you?re admitting your examples aren?t robust then by extension the arguments you base on them aren?t either.

I didn't say anything even close to that, how on Earth did you come up with that. Again, overclocking limitations generally arise from an architecture, and lower-binned chips have further to go to reach that limitation, so by default they are better overclockers when compared using % increase over stock speed.
But again that isn?t guaranteed or fail-safe by any stretch of the imagination. The fact that those particular processors overclocked like that for that particular reviewer means nothing given they might not overclock like that for others, and given different processors from the same family might overclock differently again.

Again, you're just grasping at straws, I never made any statements close to that, so how did you come up with that?
So you?re using them as examples to back your claims, but then turning around and admitting these examples aren?t concrete or robust? Interesting.

I showed that the Q6600, clock for clock, is faster than the E6850 even in games that don't support quad core.
Yeah, at settings no-one games at, at overclocked levels that aren?t guaranteed, not even by Intel.

Cool, then why do you recommend paying the same price for two less cores if the performance of the CPU is irrelevant (because quad core shows tremendous benefits outside the scope of gaming).
I don?t; I recommend buying the fastest clocked dual-core rather than trading cores for clockspeed because if you do happen to run into a CPU limited situation, in the majority of cases clock speed will win over quad-core.

Again, you need to learn more about computer hardware and how it pertains to the performance of applications (gaming or otherwise) if you want to stop making incorrect statements.
Again you fail to answer simple question and run around playing rhetorical games.

Again I?ll ask: do you game at 1024x768 with no AA?
Do you expect anyone with a quad-core to be gaming at such levels?

They?re very simple yes/no questions, so I fail to see why you have such difficulty answering them.

It wasn't shown to be an example of real world gaming,
Oh, so you admit that your results don?t correlate with reality then? Wonderful. By extension your arguments don?t either since they?re based on your examples.

but to prove the fact that the quad core is a faster and better gaming processor, something you insisted a dual core was. Obviously it doesn't make a huge difference in real world gaming, but it just negates another one of your points (the dual core being faster in most games).
Not dual-core per-se, but a higher clocked dual-core.

Your five games are but a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands of titles out there that react more favorably to higher clock speeds than four cores. But again these situations are largely irrelevant since in real-world situations the GPU will be the primary bottleneck, which brings me back to my original point of quad-core being largely worthless for gaming.

And if I do truly run into a CPU limited situation, I?d much rather take the guaranteed performance gain from a higher clock speed rather than hope I?m multi-tasking at the time and/or the process I?m running benefits from four cores.

Again, if the quad core is faster in games (and much faster in everything else), and costs the same price, why are you recommending to get a dual core?
It doesn?t cost the same because you?re not getting the same thing but with two extra cores. You have to trade clock speed and cache sizes to get those two cores, and since the vast majority of games show no benefit from quad core, that trade off isn?t worth it.

Again, go read the gaming benchmarks. Quad core is faster in 5/5 gaming benchmarks.
Nope. I see at least three games where dual (stock) outruns quad (stock).

Or are you again referring to the overclocked results where you yourself admitted they weren?t even robust?

Except that they aren't - canned benchmarks barely stress (if at all) the CPU.
What the hell are you talking about? There?s nothing ?canned? about them, especially if they?re manual game runs.

CPU stress comes from real world gaming, where dynamic environments, physics, AI, etc. must all be calculated in real time (instead of just read and processed)
And what do you suppose a manual fraps run is?

But your tests aren't.
Yes they are. If people use the settings my tests are run at, they?re real-world. Yours aren?t because people that buy quad-core systems aren?t likely to be gaming at 1024x768 with no AA.

But they're much more relevant than yours.
No they aren?t because quad-core users don?t game under the scenarios you presented.

It?s like claiming a Ferrari is slower than a Jeep and providing examples of off-road racing. Those examples irrelevant because people don?t buy Ferraris to take them off-road.

My benchmarks at least remove the GPU boost, and show a portion of the work the CPU does (the read and process part). Again, you need to learn more about hardware and how it pertains to application performance.
But that portion is largely nullified in the real-world because the bottleneck is with the graphics system.

Again, you need learn more about how bottlenecking works, specifically with the slowest part playing the biggest influence if the rest of the system is waiting for it. Amdahl's law and all that.

Unless you test using real world gaming or benchmarks specifically designed for the CPU, it's laughable to generalize that canned GPU benchmarks have an significance regarding the performance of CPUs in real world gaming.
The only thing that is canned here is your artificial scenarios that quad-core users don?t use. Again, I?m talking about the real-world performance impact to gaming and how an actual gamer is impacted by quad-core. What are you talking about exactly? Some artificially contrived scenario that is meaningless in the real world, just to prove a point?

The reason to get a quad core is that, for a similar price, they give you the capability to receive massive performance boosts should a game support quad core (a situation that will only become more pertinent in the future).
But they don?t, not unless you game at settings quad-core users don?t use.

Again I?ve repeatedly asked to see these ?massive performance gains? but you?ve yet to show them.

Also games like Arma A 2 slideshow even with quad-core @ 4 GHz, so if future games follow that trend, current quad-cores will be obsolete for them.

Most were answered in the above replies,
Nope, you just continue to play rhetorical games.

but let me just reiterate so that I (hopefully) won't have to later - you need to learn more about computer hardware and how it affects game performance.
Aha-haha. And you need to learn how synthetic and artificial scenarios like yours mean nothing in the real world.

The significance of the tests were to highlight some of the performance difference between the Q6600 and E6850 when it comes to gaming.
But again those performance differences aren?t real world because quad-core gamers don?t game at those settings.

I'd imagine it'd be tough to if all you do is run canned GPU benchmarks, I can see why.
I?d imagine it?d be tough for to you to understand how your 1024x768 results are irrelevant. Oh wait?you don?t run those setting yourself, yet you continue to preach them.

I'm talking about GPU performance, I'm saying that in order to get the best gaming CPU performance, you need to get the fastest CPU architecture (intel i7). And this is very pertinent in overall gaming performance - look up some benchmarks on i7 unlocking the power of high-end SLI set-ups. Actually, I'll do it, since you seem to like to be spoon-fed information (and then interpret it incorrectly):
Again, I never argued quad-core isn?t theoretically faster, only that at real-world settings the GPU is by far the biggest bottleneck in practice.

But yes, if you have the most powerful GPU configuration available (quad CF/SLI) then by all means, buy a quad-core given you?ve already maxed out your graphics configuration.

I?m referring to the frequent situations of someone getting a quad-core system and then pairing it with something like a 4850. What a waste of time and money. Dropping back to a higher-clocked dual-core and getting a GTX285/4890 is far better for gaming.

That's the exception, not the norm. Programmers don't waste time writing in multi-CPU support for the hell of it.
Multi-threading something doesn?t imply you?re supporting multi-core. I would suggest you do some basic research about multi-threading because your comments are laughably inept on the subject you so furiously argue.

In fact, why don?t you show us a commercial Win32 game that doesn?t use multi-threading? Heck, even X-Wing95 uses seven threads, and that game is about thirteen years old.

Again, simply threading something does not mean you?re supporting multi-core.

I think John Carmack said it best: ?and it?s not ?oh just thread your application?. Anyone that says that is basically an idiot?

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
http://www.pcgameshardware.com...essors/Reviews/?page=2

Absolutely huge performance difference between similarly clocked dual and quad cores at high graphics settings as well. I don't want to hear any "console port" excuses either. Like it or not, most PC games are going to be console ports from now on. The Xbox 360 and the PS3 both have multi-core multi-threading processors and with more and more games being designed for them and ported to PC(instead of vice versa), PC games are going to show an increasing need for more parallelism. This isn't even close to 100% scaling with quad cores either. As games improve in their ability to take advantage of multiple cores, a Q6600 at stock will beat 4Ghz dual cores.

BFG10K, you're trying to say that in a completely GPU limited scenario, different CPUs don't matter much. If that isn't obvious I don't know what is. However, you're also trying to spin that information and say that a quad core is useless for gamers, which is complete and utter nonsense. People are not always GPU limited and there are plenty of extremely CPU hungry games. Not to mention you are making the bold assumption that real gamers never run anything while playing a game at the same time.

Your John Carmack quote is merely him saying it's considerably difficult to make a game scale well on numerous processor cores. Unfortunately for John and many other developers, that is what is going to have to happen because processors are increasing in # of cores faster than they are increasing in core speed.

You also said that the future proof argument is nonsense. By the time games will benefit from quad core, current quad cores will be obsolete? To that I say history proves you wrong. It did not take very long for the Pentium D 820(A 2.8Ghz pos double Prescott) to be faster for games than the Athlon 64 FX 55. Oblivion and Quake 4 both ran better on the relatively low end Pentium D than even high end single core Athlon 64s. It didn't take too long for the Q6600 to be faster for games than even higher clocked dual cores either, certainly not long enough to call it obsolete.

Just posting this for good measure:

http://media.bestofmicro.com/B...20-%20Multitasking.png

A dual core CPU can't even keep an acceptable minimum frame rate while running just two programs even with the game graphics low. What hope does it have if you try high settings? This is an extremely real world difference between gaming on a dual core vs gaming on a quad core. How many people have their various programs set to auto update? A quad core user isn't forced to do just one task at once. Gamer or not, that is useful for anybody.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Resident Evil 5 sure is loving the quads. most of the dual core cpus do okay but its not really even playable with a cpu below a 6400 X2. I have been saying for quite a while that the A64 X2 cpus, especially the lower end ones, are really too slow to put a high end card with. in several games its just way too much performance down the drain. of course the same can be said for cpus like the E2160 too.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com...henom-strong/Practice/

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

http://www.pcgameshardware.com...essors/Reviews/?page=2

Absolutely huge performance difference between similarly clocked dual and quad cores at high graphics settings as well. I don't want to hear any "console port" excuses either.
Those results were already covered two pages ago. Again I?ll ask: do you expect someone with a quad-core processor to be gaming at 1280x1024 with no AA? Do you game at such settings on your quad-core?

I absolutely cannot fathom why these kinds of benchmarks keep being produced by quad-core proponents, yet not one of them can answer the simple questions above.

People are not always GPU limited and there are plenty of extremely CPU hungry games.
Again show me these ?extremely CPU hungry? games. If there?s plenty you should have no trouble showing them to me. Simply repeating your words without evidence doesn?t make them true, so again I?ll request benchmarks taken at reasonable detail levels to back your claims.

I have some more for you, a collection of modern games with 1-4 cores compared: http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/video/quadcore-p1.html

Notice the flat-lining even at 1680x1050 after two cores in practically every game. In fact, there?s quite a lot of that happening even at 1280x720, demonstrating that even 4xAA can erase the difference in processor cores at such a low resolution. It also includes many games that people have been harping on in this thread about being quad-core friendly.

Also some quotes from the article:

Tests were run with anisotropic filtering 16x and MSAA 4x selected in game options, if supported by a given application. The effect of CPU power would have been more noticeable, if anisotropic filtering and antialiasing had been disabled. But it goes against the idea of tests in real conditions, because all users play games with high graphics quality settings, if they have a powerful computer.
This is absolutely what I?ve been saying in this thread. Anyone that produces low detail benchmarks to ?prove? quad-core matters is simply being disingenuous.

Also:

4. A dual-core processor is presently the minimal requirement (and an optimal choice) for modern games (in fact, you cannot find a single-core processor anymore). Triple- and quad-core processors still make little sense for games, it's fast dual-core processors that are the optimal choice for gaming PCs. Most games use one of the cores more actively than the others, and performance is often limited by the speed of that core. In other words, for games you'd better buy a dual-core processor operating at 3.0GHz than a quad-core processor at 2.4GHz (within the same CPU family, of course). The former will be faster in most games. But this situation may change in future titles, because we can see a tendency to increase threads in games. For example, Race Driver: GRID and NFS: ProStreet.
Again, this is exactly what I?ve been saying in this thread. Unless you already have at least dual CF/SLI with the fastest graphics cards around, by far the smartest gaming processor is a high-clocked dual-core because if you?re really CPU limited, the clock speed will be more important than an extra two processor cores in the majority of gaming situations.

Not to mention you are making the bold assumption that real gamers never run anything while playing a game at the same time.
Nope, I?ve made it quite clear from the start that I?m not discussing multi-tasking. That?s a can of worms that really does vary from person to person and can?t really be objectively measured because everyone is different.

Your John Carmack quote is merely him saying it's considerably difficult to make a game scale well on numerous processor cores. Unfortunately for John and many other developers, that is what is going to have to happen because processors are increasing in # of cores faster than they are increasing in core speed.
I don?t think you understand the context of why I produced that quote. MrK6 made the claim that thread count automatically correlates to core count and to performance gains on multi-core, but this is utterly false.

Likewise he also claimed that multi-threaded games that don?t benefit from multi-core are the exception when in reality 99.99999% (if not 100%) commercial Win32 games ever written are multi-threaded.

The Carmack quote was to hammer in the point that there?s much more to this than just ?oh, thread it?.

By the time games will benefit from quad core, current quad cores will be obsolete? To that I say history proves you wrong. It did not take very long for the Pentium D 820(A 2.8Ghz pos double Prescott) to be faster for games than the Athlon 64 FX 55. Oblivion and Quake 4 both ran better on the Pentium D than even high end single core Athlon 64s.
What on Earth are you talking about?

Oblivion: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuch...howdoc.aspx?i=2747&p=3

The fastest Pentium D on those charts can?t even touch an single core Athlon 3500+(2.2 GHz). Yes, the FX60 is a tad faster than the FX57, but again these are hollow victories given the tests were done at 1280x1024 with no AA.

As for Quake 4, I didn?t check that and while it?s possible you?re correct, the results would again be derived at something like 1280x1024 with no AA, so they make no difference.

Just posting this for good measure:

http://media.bestofmicro.com/B...20-%20Multitasking.png

A dual core CPU can't even keep an acceptable minimum frame rate while running just two programs even with the game graphics low. What hope does it have if you try high settings? This is an extremely real world difference between gaming on a dual core vs gaming on a quad core.
Uh-huh, did you even read the graph label? It says ?lowest details, 1024x768?.

How many people have their various programs set to auto update?
And how many quad-core owners run 1024x768 with the lowest details? The fact is at any reasonable settings the GPU is the bottleneck, which by extension leaves CPU cycles idle for multi-tasking.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: BFG10KI didn?t say it was (currently), only that I would prefer one if I could get one.

None of this is relevant to anything I?ve stated.
That's because anything you've stated is a fairy tale. I live in reality, where the easiest ways to overcome an architecture limitation is to go multi-core (every major hardware produce, AMD, intel, and NVIDIA have realized this, for some reason you still can't grasp it). But I guess if we're going to keep dreaming, I'll take a flying car.

Originally posted by: BFG10KWhat are you talking about? The vast majority of CPU limited situations do not benefit from multi-core; therefore in those instances a 6 GHz single core will be twice as a fast as a 3 GHz dual-core, and a 3 GHz dual-core will be no better than a single core 3 GHz (assuming everything is the same except clock speeds).

Even the amount of titles that take advantage of two cores is but a drop in the bucket compared to the total number of Win32 games out there.
That's because no one's coded for it yet, but that is the way things are and are going. And why do you keep repeating the same stupid arguments every single reply, so that I have to go and repeat my negation of them, over and over? If you want to argue the merits of dual-core based on the fact that Solitaire is not coded to support multi-core, my words are lost on such stupidity.

Originally posted by: BFG10KAnd I?ve repeatedly stated that what you get overall is inferior because the overwhelming amount of applications do no benefit from quad-core. You?re simply trading clock speed (and cache sometimes) in exchange for more cores and getting a less robust system in the process.
Perfect example of why I say you've never used a quad-core system. Kind of tough to find merit in something you've never used, I'd imagine.

Originally posted by: BFG10KYou want to play more than one 3D game at a time? Why?

Even when it?s possible (the 3D API/driver often locks the device so it often isn?t), most games dramatically reduce their CPU usage when minimized in the background.
I said application, not game. Read what I write, not what you think is in your head, otherwise replying becomes tedious.

Originally posted by: BFG10KDo you even have the slightest clue about SLI/CF AA modes? Because based on your comments it appears not.
Evidently you don't, which, again, is ironically humorous.

Originally posted by: BFG10KSo you?ve never used SLI AA modes, and know nothing about them?
If it's not available in the driver by default, what's the point? Besides, are you really trying to argue a benefit of using more than 16x SSAA? Please.

Originally posted by: BFG10KSLI/CF is GPU power, and it can still benefit those old games by running higher AA modes with no scaling required.
Then say what you mean and not some example that has no bearing to the discussion; learn to formulate an argument.

Originally posted by: BFG10KYes, I did. I spent it to get the same clock speed and cache size as the dual-core.
But I thought CPUs all flatline in "real" gaming situations, so there's no point? You make it easier for me to reply when you defeat your own arguments.

Originally posted by: BFG10KMy point is that it?s shortsighted to be sinking money into buying more cores when you can still be buying as faster GPU system, because that?s where the real performance bottleneck is in games.
Except, again, it doesn't cost you anymore money (broken record here).

Originally posted by: BFG10KTo get the same clock speed and cache they most certainly do.
Which, again, because architectures show similar limitations, makes no significant difference, so you wasted your money. Thank you again for defeating your own argument.

Originally posted by: BFG10KHeh, by ?real performance? you mean 1024x768 with no AA, right? :roll:
And again, your fundamental lack of understanding of gaming performance shows. You constantly make that same statement, but don't even take the time to figure just exactly how wrong you are. Like I said, child covering his ears and yelling.

Originally posted by: BFG10KI didn?t say it was; I said it was almost always faster. It?s right there in what you quoted.
So you're wrong 99% then? Let me revise my comment - the quad core is almost always faster than a higher clocked dual core.

Originally posted by: BFG10KOverclocking is neither guaranteed or fail-safe, and that makes your results questionable at best since there?s no guarantee anyone using those processor will get the same clock speeds.

OTOH the stock results are guaranteed by Intel because the processor would be faulty if they didn?t work.

Why do I have to repeat all this?
So you're changing the subject because you agree that I'm right and you have no idea how to retort because of you're fundamental lack of knowledge? Cool.

Originally posted by: BFG10KBecause the ones you posted don?t back your claims yet you continue to pretend they do. Furthermore you fail to answer even basic questions.
Kind of funny because I did, but you conveniently ignore every point I nail home and either change the subject or make some restriction that doesn't pertain to the scope of the argument. It's fine, I'm going to see how long this keeps going until you're backed into a corner and either stop replying or (try) to close an "off-topic" thread. Do continue, this is great.

Originally posted by: BFG10KIt has more than less cache; the clock speed goes down from 3 GHz to 2.666 GHz.
But once overclocked, the architectural limitations flat-line performance in the game. Therefore, the only remaining difference is that the Q8400 has two more cores when they're needed that the E8400 doesn't. The Q8400 therefore is the better buy.

Originally posted by: BFG10KAnd yet on the flip-side quad-core has twice the chance of failure with overclocking given double the amount of cores have to be run outside of their rated spec compared to dual-core. In any case, my original point about running hardware outside of its rated spec still applies.
So then you're admitting that you'd like to take up residence at the Dell forum and have to place discussing taking hardware to the next level in an enthusiast's community. Glad we got that settled.

Originally posted by: BFG10KAnd as I already stated, using settings no-one games at; these gains are nullified at any reasonable detail level.
And as I already stated, you lack a fundamental understanding of hardware performance in games, why do you even think you can continue to participate in this discussion? I think the better part is the next time you post and "testing" results, I can just link to this thread to show people to take your findings with a grain of salt. Whatever, it's your hole you're digging.

Originally posted by: BFG10KBut overclocking isn?t guaranteed, regardless of whether you?re an enthusiast or not. Stock speeds are because the processor is faulty if it doesn?t hit them.
Overclocking is guaranteed. An overclocked speed is not. That's a fundamental difference, one you've missed several times now.

Originally posted by: BFG10KThen why do you try to draw inferences from those results and attempt to make them the norm? If you?re admitting your examples aren?t robust then by extension the arguments you base on them aren?t either.
Because you incorrectly interpret results and draw some inane argument that no one else is seeing, doesn't mean my examples aren't robust. It means you lack the knowledge to follow the logic or ignore the logic because it defeats your argument. Which is it?

Originally posted by: BFG10KBut again that isn?t guaranteed or fail-safe by any stretch of the imagination. The fact that those particular processors overclocked like that for that particular reviewer means nothing given they might not overclock like that for others, and given different processors from the same family might overclock differently again.
Except that it follows a general statistic and that a decent overclock is guaranteed for 99%+ CPUs. I mean, do you never leave your house because there's a statistically small chance you will be killed that day?

Originally posted by: BFG10KSo you?re using them as examples to back your claims, but then turning around and admitting these examples aren?t concrete or robust? Interesting.
The examples I make are fine and completely back up my arguments. The extraneous information and tangents you take from them are not. Again, which is it, do you lack the knowledge to follow the logic or do you ignore it because it defeats your argument(s)?

Originally posted by: BFG10KYeah, at settings no-one games at, at overclocked levels that aren?t guaranteed, not even by Intel.
Again, completely demonstrating you lack of knowledge regarding hardware and gaming. That hole's like what, 10 feet down by now?

Originally posted by: BFG10KI don?t; I recommend buying the fastest clocked dual-core rather than trading cores for clockspeed because if you do happen to run into a CPU limited situation, in the majority of cases clock speed will win over quad-core.
Nope, the majority of CPU limited situations will show a greater benefit from more cores if supported. Like I said before, you're trading 5% improvement (at the absolute best) for a remarkable 60-80% improvement.

Originally posted by: BFG10KAgain you fail to answer simple question and run around playing rhetorical games.

Again I?ll ask: do you game at 1024x768 with no AA?
Do you expect anyone with a quad-core to be gaming at such levels?

They?re very simple yes/no questions, so I fail to see why you have such difficulty answering them.
Because any idiot realizes that most people don't game at 1024x768, I don't. And yet we're getting into double digits the number of times you have faithfully demonstrated your lack of understanding of computer hardware and how it pertains to gaming. Those are simple tests to isolate factors of CPU performance in gaming, yet you you can't even understand something so simple. Like I said, this thread is going to be great to post in reply to any of your "findings" to completely remove any ounce of credibility or authority you think you have on the subject of hardware performance in gaming. I'm an amateur enthusiast and make no claims to even having a professional understanding in such an area, but wow, I'm not this thick.

Originally posted by: BFG10KOh, so you admit that your results don?t correlate with reality then? Wonderful. By extension your arguments don?t either since they?re based on your examples.
Like I said, complete lack of understanding. I'm going to save the thread as well, just so when you realize how it makes you look, you can't magically delete it.

Originally posted by: BFG10KNot dual-core per-se, but a higher clocked dual-core.

Your five games are but a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands of titles out there that react more favorably to higher clock speeds than four cores. But again these situations are largely irrelevant since in real-world situations the GPU will be the primary bottleneck, which brings me back to my original point of quad-core being largely worthless for gaming.

And if I do truly run into a CPU limited situation, I?d much rather take the guaranteed performance gain from a higher clock speed rather than hope I?m multi-tasking at the time and/or the process I?m running benefits from four cores.
In your dreamworld, I bet that's exactly how it works. Too bad this is reality and A)Quad cores and dual cores are very close in price B)The slightly faster/architecturally superior (more cache, w/e) dual core available at the same price does not show enough performance gain in CPU-limited situations to make a difference, more cores do.

Originally posted by: BFG10KIt doesn?t cost the same because you?re not getting the same thing but with two extra cores. You have to trade clock speed and cache sizes to get those two cores, and since the vast majority of games show no benefit from quad core, that trade off isn?t worth it.
Again, the vast majority of games are architecturally-limited, so why are you paying more money for the same architecture? Extra cores will show tremendous improvements, 5% difference (that's being generous) doesn't.

Originally posted by: BFG10KNope. I see at least three games where dual (stock) outruns quad (stock).
And I see the Dell forums over at http://en.community.dell.com/forums/ . The funny thing is the "newbie" title they'll give you will be accurate.

Originally posted by: BFG10KOr are you again referring to the overclocked results where you yourself admitted they weren?t even robust?
Where?

Originally posted by: BFG10KWhat the hell are you talking about? There?s nothing ?canned? about them, especially if they?re manual game runs.

And what do you suppose a manual fraps run is?
That in itself is fallacy because people don't play games with FRAPS on (by introducing a measuring mechanism that affects the outcome you are thereby disqualifying the outcome, basic scientific principle).

Originally posted by: BFG10KYes they are. If people use the settings my tests are run at, they?re real-world. Yours aren?t because people that buy quad-core systems aren?t likely to be gaming at 1024x768 with no AA.
FRAPS runs are a different kind of test if that's what you're referring to (see above). You'd have to make the comparison based on the same operating environment in order to gain any insight due to the variable of FRAPS being on.

Originally posted by: BFG10KNo they aren?t because quad-core users don?t game under the scenarios you presented.

It?s like claiming a Ferrari is slower than a Jeep and providing examples of off-road racing. Those examples irrelevant because people don?t buy Ferraris to take them off-road.
Again, double digit representation of a lack of knowledge.

Originally posted by: BFG10KBut that portion is largely nullified in the real-world because the bottleneck is with the graphics system.
Then why are you paying the same money for two less cores?

Originally posted by: BFG10KAgain, you need learn more about how bottlenecking works, specifically with the slowest part playing the biggest influence if the rest of the system is waiting for it. Amdahl's law and all that.
You need to learn how your fundamental lack of understanding of computer hardware as a whole makes you think your understanding of bottlenecking makes you correct.

Originally posted by: BFG10KThe only thing that is canned here is your artificial scenarios that quad-core users don?t use. Again, I?m talking about the real-world performance impact to gaming and how an actual gamer is impacted by quad-core. What are you talking about exactly? Some artificially contrived scenario that is meaningless in the real world, just to prove a point?
Double digit instance of a representation of a lack of understanding (still).

Originally posted by: BFG10KBut they don?t, not unless you game at settings quad-core users don?t use.

Again I?ve repeatedly asked to see these ?massive performance gains? but you?ve yet to show them.

Also games like Arma A 2 slideshow even with quad-core @ 4 GHz, so if future games follow that trend, current quad-cores will be obsolete for them.
No, that's in non-quadcore games. It's convenient how you've completely "forgotten" to address the fantastic series of benchmarks I've posted that demonstrates this. Amazing.

Originally posted by: BFG10KNope, you just continue to play rhetorical games.
I bet when you don't understand the material being presented, it seems that way.

Originally posted by: BFG10KAha-haha. And you need to learn how synthetic and artificial scenarios like yours mean nothing in the real world.
There goes that hope, like talking to a (very thick) wall.

Originally posted by: BFG10KBut again those performance differences aren?t real world because quad-core gamers don?t game at those settings.

I?d imagine it?d be tough for to you to understand how your 1024x768 results are irrelevant. Oh wait?you don?t run those setting yourself, yet you continue to preach them.
*sings* douuuubbbbllleeee diigiitt*

Originally posted by: BFG10KAgain, I never argued quad-core isn?t theoretically faster, only that at real-world settings the GPU is by far the biggest bottleneck in practice.

But yes, if you have the most powerful GPU configuration available (quad CF/SLI) then by all means, buy a quad-core given you?ve already maxed out your graphics configuration.

I?m referring to the frequent situations of someone getting a quad-core system and then pairing it with something like a 4850. What a waste of time and money. Dropping back to a higher-clocked dual-core and getting a GTX285/4890 is far better for gaming.
I bet you thought that by agreeing with me and then changing the subject you could get away without it shown just how incorrect you are/were. Not happening. So now it's not that "quad core is not faster" it's just that "quad core is generally faster but there's a GPU bottleneck." Good, I'm making progress finally. So how come you aren't pointing out how completely wrong you are about getting a sick SLI/CF with dual core instead of a better quad core CPU leads to better performance?

Originally posted by: BFG10KMulti-threading something doesn?t imply you?re supporting multi-core. I would suggest you do some basic research about multi-threading because your comments are laughably inept on the subject you so furiously argue.

In fact, why don?t you show us a commercial Win32 game that doesn?t use multi-threading? Heck, even X-Wing95 uses seven threads, and that game is about thirteen years old.

Again, simply threading something does not mean you?re supporting multi-core.

I think John Carmack said it best: ?and it?s not ?oh just thread your application?. Anyone that says that is basically an idiot?
I use the terms interchangeably (I dunno, Valve does, if that's not the correct way to do it, correct me). Anyway, that specific quote said "multi-CPU" support, so none of those comments address the actual quote (and how correct it is), but more so change the subject because you don't have a decent answer (that's a common tactic of yours it seems).

EDIT: If this still doesn't sink in, in my next post I'm just going to summarize my argument in bullet points, as this posting format is tedious.