A game like Painkiller Black?

Mamere782

Oct 10, 2017
A favorite game of mine. Looking for a similar FPS single player. Game should:

1. Have somewhat of a story
2. Interesting and varied levels PK had many diverse levels
3. Ammo and health reasonably spaced throughout game
4. Decent quick saves
5. Secret areas or other puzzle like features (Loved the Tarot cards in PK)

I've played STALKER series, Metro, RPG'S (Elder Scrolls, Witcher, Fallout NV and others) I like those games, but am looking for a "mindless" shooter with above elements.

Suggestions? Does not have to be a new game, but playable on Win 7 64

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I used to play that a lot but not nearly as much as the original Painkiller. It has some amazing level design like the Monastery, church interiors and more. I moved on to other games because graphics, especially textures, got better and looking sharper than the Painkiller series. Probably not a good reason to leave a game but I don't have the inclination for gameplay like most gamers do.

But I have a game suggestion anyway. Tried the F.E.A.R. series yet? Probably have but I thought I'd try.

Mamere782

Oct 10, 2017
I used to play that a lot but not nearly as much as the original Painkiller. It has some amazing level design like the Monastery, church interiors and more. I moved on to other games because graphics, especially textures, got better and looking sharper than the Painkiller series. Probably not a good reason to leave a game but I don't have the inclination for gameplay like most gamers do.

But I have a game suggestion anyway. Tried the F.E.A.R. series yet? Probably have but I thought I'd try.
I played the original PK as well. I also played Fear ages ago, but ordered again from GOG. thanks for your reply.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I'd say Serious Sam, too (specifically SS3 or the HD ones, or all of them I suppose). I'd probably add to that Hard Reset (also on Steam; by the way I think there's three versions for that one, I got the original; but there's an 'Extended' version of the original, and a 'Redux' version too... not sure about those two; you'd have to check them separately to see which one you'd want), it plays very much like a 1990s FPS (wouldn't call it 'underrated' per se, but more like 'forgotten'; rarely discussed or mentioned). I'd say maybe Bulletstorm as well.

You might also have fun with Killing Floor 2 (first one is good but KF2 is just plain and simple better in pretty much every way, although I did find it to be generally more difficult than the first regardless of difficulty settings). Also, the Shadow Warrior games, either the 'Classic Redux' HD version of the original, or Shadow Warrior 2 (I only read good things about the second one). Then, well, if you don't mind old-school games of course the list would suddenly skyrocket, but I'd still mention Duke Nukem 3D, either the Atomic Edition on GoG.com, or the Megaton Edition on Steam... can't go wrong with either of them.

Then maybe more story-driven but still pretty good, Quake 4. And also of course Borderlands (1 and/or 2, both good; sequel being one of the best FPS games I ever played, for me).

For now they are the ones that come to mind.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Well, in my opinion Quake 1 is the best when it comes to map design and PvE, and with the mod Darkplaces it's very nice to play on modern systems.

The entire Stalker series is worth playing for atmosphere, but does not have that fast and mindless playstyle, it's almost a RPG. If you do play it, use the Complete mod.

If you like tons of crazy mindless action with awesome graphics and almost zero story (here i had to google "scifi fps" because i could not remember the name) then get Hard Reset.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Loved Painkiller.

Why don't you do a search on Steam for Painkiller, and it will give you games similar to it.