A fun game....

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Ok, I have been accused on here of being a dirty liberal and a sleezy conservative. I've taken the political compass tests, but they don't really gauge me very well. So I'll post up some views, you tell me what you think I am.

note: I already know who I'm voting for, so this isn't a "tell me who to vote for" game, I'm just curious. Feel free to say "I don't give a shit about you Deeko, get your self-serving egotistical crap out of here!"

Taxes/Government scope: While I am not completely against the idea of big government, you have to be able to pay for it, generally via taxes. I think it's unreasonable to assume today's government can instantly fall to 19th century size, although it could use some downsizing. I favor a graduated income tax.

Abortion: I am pro legal abortion in almost all cases.

Guns: Pro gun ownership, although I don't have a big problem with gun control - background checks & permits

War: I wouldn't go as far as to call myself a hawk, but I'm pro war in more situations than I'm not

Capital Punishment: pro death penalty

Immigration: Go after the companies first. If the immigrants can't get jobs, they won't be here, so punish those that are HIRING them. After that, deport the ones that are here. A fence is a waste of money, they WILL find a way through, amnesty is completely unfair and wrong.

Unions: I hate unions and everything about them.

Affirmative Action: should be known as "government-forced racism"

Welfare: While I agree with the theory behind welfare, it is out of control and abused far too often

Health care: First and foremost, reduce the cost of healthcare. Secondly, children should be covered, either via a subsidy or a (state) government program. It isn't their fault their parents may be bums. Adults are on their own, although it should be tax-deductible.

Gay Marriage: Not an issue for the federal government to discuss. On a state level, I don't see a difference between a marriage and a civil union, considering I am not religious. I don't really care what they call it, but they deserve equal legal rights.

Education: No Child Left Behind is a travesty, teachers everywhere hate it, it prevents real learning. More focus should be on removing bad teachers (go back up to my hated of unions). Focus on getting more students in college, via cheaper state schools and better tax breaks.

Environment: I really don't care about the environment. Global warming is "real", but I don't really care what the cause is - it isn't going to stop, so focus on how to deal with the consequences, not the cause.

Energy: Again, don't care about the environment, so drill away...but realize that it's a stop gap solution and invest heavily in research for alternative energy sources.

Social Security: Gradually phase into a program you can opt-out of...basically have a government-run 401k type program, or the option to manage your own retirement. As someone that's somewhat financially educated, I can handle my own retirement fund more efficiently - but a lot of people can't.

Ho hum I guess that's enough. So...what am I?

SigArms08a

Sep 27, 2008
For guns and against unions, no on environment, and no on affirmative action. Definitely not a lib :thumbsup:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Budmantom
Id say you are a left leaning Republican, kind of like McCain.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Silly Budmantom, McCain is a genuine righty tighty conservative, and any McCain disagreement with Bushwako wackos should not be even remotely confused with actual liberalism.

Only in the mind of Rush Limbaugh is bullshit of this nature even conceivable. You must have any McCain rationality confused with something else.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Originally posted by: Budmantom
Id say you are a left leaning Republican, kind of like McCain.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Silly Budmantom, McCain is a genuine righty tighty conservative, and any McCain disagreement with Bushwako wackos should not be even remotely confused with actual liberalism.

Only in the mind of Rush Limbaugh is bullshit of this nature even conceivable. You must have any McCain rationality confused with something else.

Righty tighty conservative that was thinking about being a Democrat a few years ago?

Pro amnesty & pro global warming.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: bamacre
Fiscally conservative, socially liberal.

This is how I'd characterize myself - I don't see how any logical person can think otherwise ;)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
'Ignorant' is my first reaction. I don't see much point in trying to find a pattern to such incoherent positions for an underlying party of ideology.

For example, you SAY that 'nothing can be done about global warming, so just deal with its effects'. Funny, the scientific leaders are saying now is the time to mitigate the effects.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: bamacre
Fiscally conservative, socially liberal.

A socially liberal person wouldn't be pro death penalty or not care about the environment.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Craig234
'Ignorant' is my first reaction. I don't see much point in trying to find a pattern to such incoherent positions for an underlying party of ideology.

For example, you SAY that 'nothing can be done about global warming, so just deal with its effects'. Funny, the scientific leaders are saying now is the time to mitigate the effects.

Go hug a tree, hippy. The point about global warming is that it's happening. Whether we caused it, or it's cyclical, it's happening - and there are plenty of "scientific leaders" in both camps. So why squabble about that when the real issue is what is actually going to happen?

Actually, I'm much more consistent in my views than the traditional ideologies. Particularly on the subject of human life - democrats and republicans are very hypocritical on that one, I am not.