A four step guide to Global Warming

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Is Global Warming a proven Fact?

• Yes

Votes: 60 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Other...

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
October Bump.....look at those temps...

Nothing to see here? Or maybe this !@#$ just keeps going up and we need to act.

trend

Last edited:

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
It's going to snow this winter, so it's just a hoax or whatever.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
I have 12 pick up truck loads of leaves to clean up, which equates to 3.5 gallons of eth free premo fuel and 12 oz of oil in the Husky. We're eating less beef these days so Even Steven.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
So its happening and AGW is highly likely the cause. the debate is how severe, how to mitigate it

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
I didn't say endless debate I mean logical debate. IE does carbon credits actually do anything to thwart it?

Dec 10, 2005
I didn't say endless debate I mean logical debate. IE does carbon credits actually do anything to thwart it?
It might have if we started in 2000. Since we've dicked around arguing about reality over the last 20 years instead of actually taking steps to mitigate our impact on the environment, we have to look to take more severe steps.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
October Bump.....look at those temps...

Nothing to see here? Or maybe this !@#$ just keeps going up and we need to act.

trend
Oh, but no, the temperature has always fluctuated, this is normal, and even if it wasn't, we'll adapt anyway :rolleyes:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It might have if we started in 2000. Since we've dicked around arguing about reality over the last 20 years instead of actually taking steps to mitigate our impact on the environment, we have to look to take more severe steps.
Gotta debate about what steps, and the legality of such steps as well, to ensure we someone's children have to take even more severe steps at some point in the future.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Another El Nino, another step up?
Little early to determine where we land after, but this temperature spike is looking MEATY.
Oh, how we will long for the cold days of 2015-2023.....

trend

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Another El Nino, another step up?
Little early to determine where we land after, but this temperature spike is looking MEATY.
Oh, how we will long for the cold days of 2015-2023.....

trend
I'm not sure if you missed it but several years back we already reached the point where conservatives switched from 'it's not happening' to 'we waited too long so now nothing can be done'.

Reactions: Ken g6 and hal2kilo

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
For those good at math, I had 25,000 posts before the Like system was instituted. I'm also not an MSM-programmed sheep so many here aren't going to agree with my views.
Your views are short sighted. I have nothing for you other than an admonition to recalibrate completely.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I'm not sure if you missed it but several years back we already reached the point where conservatives switched from 'it's not happening' to 'we waited too long so now nothing can be done'.
Smart opponents may be gearing up to move the goalpost, but their followers are still devout adherents to the original.

"It is too late" is a much more interesting argument than "it is not real".
For example, while I would vote for CO2 reductions, I do not anticipate humanity doing enough to actually avoid the dire consequences. Especially not after having entered a new era of total warfare.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Smart opponents may be gearing up to move the goalpost, but their followers are still devout adherents to the original.
Oh I'm sure there are still plenty of crazies who think it's a communist plot or whatever but in my experience at least I've definitely seen some movement towards 'it's real but now it's too late'. Of course these people do not want to take any responsibility for, you know, why it might be 'too late'.
"It is too late" is a much more interesting argument than "it is not real".
For example, while I would vote for CO2 reductions, I do not anticipate humanity doing enough to actually avoid the dire consequences. Especially not after having entered a new era of total warfare.
I wouldn't agree with that exactly because global temps are on a continuum. Like is 2C bad? Absolutely! Almost certainly less bad than 3C or 4C though! For that reason reductions are still good even if we screwed around for about a half century too long at least. There is some positive news too - there is evidence of decoupling growth from carbon emissions. We still have a long way to go but this is positive news.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
There is some positive news too - there is evidence of decoupling growth from carbon emissions. We still have a long way to go but this is positive news.
Wait a minute.
Is this article claiming the global CO2 emissions have already peaked?
Is that how the data is supposed to be read?

zfbJDT0.png

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Wait a minute.
Is this article claiming the global CO2 emissions have already peaked?
Is that how the data is supposed to be read?
Sadly no, what it is basically saying is that in the past GDP growth and CO2 emissions tracked each other relatively closely. Like a 10% increase in GDP meant a 10% increase in CO2. That's problematic because it indicated that in order for people's lives to improve further we needed to cook the planet.

The good news here is that US CO2 emissions peaked in 2007. The economy has grown considerably since but US CO2 emissions have declined back to where they were in 1990. For developing countries they haven't started declining yet but now instead of like 10% GDP = 10% CO2 it's like 10%GDP = 5%CO2.

So for developed countries the trend is actually very positive. For developing it's more like it's less negative. Overall emissions still increasing though.

Reactions: Muse