A few questions for those of you with a motorcycle

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I'm curious about some things about motorcycles. I think they're cool, but I'd like to know some info from motorcycle owners before I look into them any further. So here's my list of questions, feel free to answer only what you're comfortable with:

1. What type of motorcycle do you own? Is this your first?

2. Do you primarily drive it in city traffic, highways, or low traffic areas?

3. Any speeding tickets?

4. Have you been in an accident? If so, how did it happen?

5. Do you primarily drive your motorcycle, or is it a weekend toy?

6. Is there any advice you'd give to someone interested in motorcycles for the first time?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer :)

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Originally posted by: slugg
I'm curious about some things about motorcycles. I think they're cool, but I'd like to know some info from motorcycle owners before I look into them any further. So here's my list of questions, feel free to answer only what you're comfortable with:

3. Any speeding tickets?

6. Is there any advice you'd give to someone interested in motorcycles for the first time?

I'll answer in regards to my last motorcycle. I don't own one anymore.

1. 2000 Honda CBR F4. It was not my first. This bike shouldn't be anyone's first bike.

2. I drove it in all situations. Rush hour freeway traffic to deserted mountain roads.

3. No tickets. Plenty of times I deserved a ticket.

4. I went down. Happened because of my stupidity, and not while riding the CBR. Didn't hit anything, thank goodness. Just slid along the road.

5. Mine was mostly a commute vehicle. When I lived in the mountains it was much faster than my crappy mid '80s Civic. When I moved, the motorcycle allowed use of the carpool lanes on the freeway. I have other toys I enjoy more than the motorcycle, so I rarely rode it weekends.

6. Take a MSF class, get protective equipment, don't buy too much bike, be careful.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001

3. Any speeding tickets?

1) I have a pair of Honda F4i's
2) Low traffic areas, hills and canyons east of san diego (very open areas)
3) No
4) No
5) Weekend toy
6) Take the MSF classes BEFORE buying a bike. Dont buy the biggest bike you can, you can always upgrade later. Those 600's have more than enough power to kill you quick let alone the 900+s

userman

Banned
Mar 7, 2005
2006 suzuki m109R, Its my second bike.
All
3. Any speeding tickets?
Nope
Nope
I have put more miles on my motorcycles than my truck.
Buy a cheeper bike to learn how to ride on.

malbojah

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
1. 1994 CBR 1000F, first bike. It has the same power as the current 600cc but is 200lbs heavier
2. Everywhere
3. 3, one in VT for 80 in a 65, and 2 in MA (1 was 80 in a 55 and the other was 105 in a 65)
4. 2, first one was my fault for taking the bike out in Febuary, and the other was because of an unmarked traffic hazard (8 inch speed bump in the middle of a 35mph intersection)
5. It's mostly a toy, but all my bikes get near 40mpg which is better than the 17 mpg that my truck gets
6. cheap bike, MSF course, and good protective gear.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

2001 Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit *(mines dark red) - No its my 3rd ... I learned to ride on small dirt-bikes & my first road bike was a Suzuki GS450 (450cc twin)

I try to avoid heavy traffic for obvious reasons, otherwise about a 50/50 split between highways & back-country roads with low traffic.

3. Any speeding tickets?

None on this bike which is surprising considering I tend to ride 15-20mph faster then the traffic around me ... I did get nailed multiple times on my older bikes though.

Never a serious one but I've dumped a few times ... most recently I pulled a bone-head & dumped it on an oil-patch in the rain with only minor damage.

I commute primarily in my car because traffic is horrible where I live, although I somtimes take the bike when the weather is nice.

(a) If you've never ridden before get lessons ... If you've ridden a little bit take a safety course.

(b) Start out with a smaller bike ... nothing bigger then 500-550cc. Ignore advice suggesting anything larger.

(c) Always ride with a quality helmet & protective gear ... it won't help if you get run over by a truck, but I've had a couple friends get killed in single-vehicle mishaps at +/-30mph because they didn't bother doing this.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005

3. Any speeding tickets?

well i dont have mine anymore but ill answer anyways....
1. owned a KLR650 and a VFR750
2. city and highway
3. no
4. yes. wasn't a good enough driver. hit a patch of gravel and ate shit. it hurt like a bitch and was expensive. rents forced me to sell the bike :'(
5. when i had it, i drove it everywhere if it wasnt raining or i didnt need to carry people/big stuff
6. spend a lot of money on gear. if i would have had better gear nothing would have happened to me. always wear a helmet (even if law says you dont have to). buy a REAL leather jacket and wear it all the time. never ride in shorts. if it is hot, wear jeans and perforated leather. get a good pair of gloves and always wear them. boots arent necessary but help in some situations. take a MSF course. if you are small, start on a 500cc bike or something. if you are big (me) i started on a 750. get something that is good on insurance. CBRs and ninjas may be popular but IMO they arent very good bikes and everything (bikes, insurance, etc.) is hella expensive. IMO a vfr is an all around better bike (faster than their cbr counter parts, handle better, more comfortable) and it is cheaper in all aspects. however it isnt the best bike to start on. bandits are pretty good starter bikes. you can find an older 500cc for cheap and if you wreck it its NBD

sager66

Oct 16, 2004
I'm curious about some things about motorcycles.

Your questions are pointless . . post what your speed and commute expectations are and ask for suitable candidates!

You have to decide if the risk to your life is acceptable!
http://dynamic.cnn.com/apps/tp...rcyle.cnn/video.ws.asx

If you have the mechanical aptitude to maintain and repair it, a China crate scooter from an internet vendor might be an option.
http://www.allpropowersports.c...cooters-150cc-c11.html
http://www.bandit-motorsports.com/index.html

Check for used values on your regional craigslist > for sale > motorcycles.

WisMan

Nov 24, 2004

3. Any speeding tickets?

1. 2006 Ninja 650R (Pic in profile), yes its my first bike.

2. I drive it in everything. Whether its the 2 mile ride through the city to class or the 3 hour ride home to visit the parents for the weekend.

3. I have 2 speeding tickets. Both long before i bought a bike.

4. I dropped it in a low speed turn (15mph) to my left when i hit some gravel in the road. Frame sliders and good gear meant no damage to me or the bike.

5. Primarily drive it everywhere except in the winter.

6. Get good gear!

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Owned a 2005 honda cbr 600rr. Not first. First was a 92FZF600, then 97YZF600r, then this honda.

Drive it when the weather is nice enough and I don't need to transport anything.

No speeding tickets.

Yes, don't remember what happened because of concussion. Memories stopped that morning, started again when I woke up in the hospital.

Drive it primarily.

Get good gear the first time around. Otherwise you'll upgrade and just waste money. Take the MSF course, GET HEALTH INSURANCE!! My hospital bill woulda been 50k+ if I didn't have insurance. Ended up paying my yearly max of 500.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Take the Motorcycle Safety COurse at you rlocal tech college or some other place that offers it. If you don't hav eyour license or haven't ridden for years, it's a HUGELY beneficial thing to do. Plus you can skip the road test part of te drivers license test.

Anyway, My first bike was a Kawasaki EX500 Sportbike. Used it for weekend travel, not as a daily rider. Had one accident when I took a turn too fast and hit some gravel. Just did a flip over the handlebars and broke my collarbone. Bike needed some minor repairs but was mostly OK.

Definitely don't get more bike than you can handle for a first bike. Get something used to practice on and make sur eyou like the style and size you get and then get something nicer once you're sure.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

3. Any speeding tickets?

1) had a CBR 600cc sold that though. to many tards on the road for me now. My first bike was a 50cc yamaha i think. heh

2) anything and anywhere.

3) not from my bike. but deserved at least 100

4) yes. slid on a curve when itwas wet and had the bike slip out. Also had some guy run me off the road. that is not counting the 100's of close calls.

5) toy.

6) as dirigible said take a MSF course, buy good gear, and do not buy a huge bike for the first. maybe a 250 ninja. they are cheap and easy to find.

i just got tired of the idiots on the road. seems like in the last 5 years it has got worse. just not worth the risk anymore.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
1. Suzuki DL650. It's my second. My first was a 1983 Yamaha Maxim.

2. Usually I'm commuting, which is a combination of city, highway, freeway, and ferry in my case. But I take it on long-distance trips and onto gravel/dirt roads too.

3. Nope.

4. Not on this bike, but I have dumped a bike once. I was turning left into a parking lot, in preparation for a U-turn. The green arrow was changing, and so I carried too much speed into the curve, and then suddenly realized that it was NOT a 90 degree turn, but more like a 110. I applied the front brakes, found out that this bike had MUCH better front brakes than my old Maxim, and locked the front wheel and hit the curb hard. I was fine, the bike had a bent wheel. I felt like a complete tool, especially since it was a borrowed bike. Never any 2-vehicle accidents. Not too many close calls, either...I don't push my limits much, since it's my only bike and it's my commuter.

5. All year round, every day.

6. Take the MSF class before you buy the bike. Get a small (no bigger than 600), light, non-sportbike for your first bike. Buy it used. Check craigslist. Don't spend much money, you'll only be riding it for a year. After riding it, maybe dropping it in a slow-speed turn, whatever, sell it on craigslist for about what you paid, and buy a bigger bike. I wouldn't ride a supersport until I had a couple of years experience.

ATGATT--all the gear, all the time. Wear a helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, and boots that cover the ankle, every time you ride. If it's too hot to wear all your gear...it's too hot to ride!

Practice your skills from time to time. Swerving, panic stops, slow-speed maneuvering. Use a parking lot, or empty highway; don't do it where someone might think you're stunting and call the cops.

And when you're riding, watch the cars around you, and watch your mirrors. For the most part people give SOME warning of what they're about to do...if they're going to veer into your lane, they at least glance in that direction, even if they don't signal or seem to see you. Give yourself a buffer in all directions. Watch the traffic ahead to see if it's slowing down fast...if so, brake early, so the guy behind you doesn't rear-end you. Use lane position to your advantage.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006

i own a cb750 honda modified to be a cruiser instead of a cafe racer. not my first or my last. ive owned old harleys, a triumph and a couple other rice racers

this honda was my only transpo for years until my first kid was born. my wifes also, we carpooled (bikepooled?)

3. Any speeding tickets?

ive gotten a few, some justified some BS cop harassment.

ive been in a few, but only one in traffic (others in weird places like warehouses, desert and so on). the traffic one, i was in the right lane coming to a red light with an open lane in front of me. left lane with 5 or 6 cars, light turns green and one of the car decide he wants to go faster and changes lanes in front of me. i was doing about 40mph, swerved avoid him, but he hit me full on the left side with his passenger door. i have full engine bars, so i tucked my left leg in and rode it out. cut a line down the full length of his car with my peg, popped the tire too. i hit the curb a few times but kept it on two wheels. no real damage to my bike beyond the peg, and the only injury was a bit of bumper rash to the girls leg that was on the back of my bike. he got all the tickets, and the cop congratulated me for keeping the bike up. there were a bunch of people at the 7-11 we stopped at that came over and said the same thing, even tho all i was doing was trying to keep my face off the sidewalk. i didnt see it as spectacular as they did apparently

mine is parked in the back yard with issues. it hasnt ran since my twins were 1 yr old. i still get to ride my dads hogs and my step dads triumph tho.

take that driving course for it. very good info, and lots of practice in situations youll need to know. dont be like my bro, i gave him a bike and started teaching him how to ride and he decided after 1 week that he knew enough. pulled out in front of a car full of ASU jocks. didnt get hit, but they started a rolling fight with him, swerving into him and trying to stop him. luckily i was behind him, so i raced up next to the driver and told him to back off. a side holster on a motorcycle puts your gun about in a car drivers face, so he complied fairly quickly. i then followed him home and took his keys (he didnt know i was behind him at that light, it was just a coincidence)

TBone48

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2005

3. Any speeding tickets?

1: I currently ride a Buell XB12Ss. It's my 2nd bike.

2: I use it as my daily transportation, unless it is snowy or icy.

3: No tickets.

4: No accidents. (not in my car either)

5: See #2.

6: Take a MSF safety course or equivalent. Don't run out and by the most powerful bike you can afford, learn on something light and not over-powered. Wear quality gear.

Hope this helps! :)