A few questions about laptop upgrading and gaming!

dorfma05

Feb 7, 2006
Hey all, I have been lurking in these forums for a while now and I have some questions!

In newer laptops that have Pentium M and Core Duo chips, are the processors able to be upgraded by the user (provided that it is compatible, I also know there is a likely to be a great deal of disassembly)?

Also, I have been looking for a laptop that can play WoW. I have heard that WoW isnt very stressful on video cards but I really would like to run it as high resolution (19?? x 12xx) with all the antialiasing and filtering effects. What is the minimum system for this?

Thanks a ton! I have more questions and I'll be posting them as I remember them!

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Hi dorfma05, welcome to the forums!
Newer laptop CPU's can indeed be upgraded. People with the Toshiba L25, for example, have been switching their Celeron M's for Pentium M's. I've also swapped out my CPU in my Thinkpad R50e. The CPU's rest in a standard 479 pin socket, so as long as you can do the disassembly and you have some paste, you're set.

One exception that I've heard of though is that in the X series thinkpads, the CPU's are soldiered on to save the space that a socket would take.

ShellGuy

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
This is also if you don't mind removing ur warranty as well when you do it. But yes there are pleanty of people doing pin mods and such to their lappies.

Will G.

RockGuitarDude

Apr 15, 2004
I might as well share my intentions I plan on doing something similar:

I plan on getting a gaming laptop and getting something with the cheapest chip of the technology (like the 1.6 core duo) and upgrading it to a higher end one in a year or so for like 200-300.

Not exactly how difficult this will be though or what makes/models to go after to facilitate this.