A few general San Francisco questions before my trip...

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
1. Bad idea to ride BART at night? We arrive at SFO ~ 9:30pm, will hopefully be ready to go by 10:15-10:30 at the latest. Our hotel is downtown near union square (Orchard), while BART seems to be significantly cheaper ($5 each), should it be avoided at night? A taxi looks like it would run $40 or so, so about $30 more, but if BART isn't the best option, we would definately be willing pay a little extra. I ask because we used to ride the tube in london at night all the time, but always voided the subway in NYC after 10pm... Depends on the city..

2. What are the must see places? We have 2 full days in the city before heading out to Napa. We're kinda sick of museums from last summer in europe (dunno if San Fran is even known for them anyway), so with that in mind, what do you recommend to check out?

3. Is walking around the city a viable option? Should be get a bus pass? Cable car pass (if they exist)? (etc.)

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
I'm from LA, but my family makes frequent trips to SF. We always go to:

Ghirardelli Square (if you like chocolate).
Fisherman's Wharf / Pier 39 (must see, imho).
Golden Gate
Lombard Street (but only when we have the car to drive down with)
Chinatown, if we feel upto it.

Kinda blanking out on other places, heh.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
Originally posted by: aphex
1. Bad idea to ride BART at night? We arrive at SFO ~ 9:30pm, will hopefully be ready to go by 10:15-10:30 at the latest. Our hotel is downtown near union square (Orchard), while BART seems to be significantly cheaper ($5 each), should it be avoided at night? A taxi looks like it would run $40 or so, so about $30 more, but if BART isn't the best option, we would definately be willing pay a little extra. I ask because we used to ride the tube in london at night all the time, but always voided the subway in NYC after 10pm... Depends on the city..

2. What are the must see places? We have 2 full days in the city before heading out to Napa. We're kinda sick of museums from last summer in europe (dunno if San Fran is even known for them anyway), so with that in mind, what do you recommend to check out?

3. Is walking around the city a viable option? Should be get a bus pass? Cable car pass (if they exist)? (etc.)

if bart is a train then there probly be a lot of wired PPl and Gay ppl on the trian at that time. just saying they come out during the night

Lumbared street is what you should see. Check google for more

You can walkawround fishermans warf and other plases

There are tranportation in SF and around .

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
I used to live in SF, though I never took Bart so I cant help you there. I would avoid busses at night, the main street cars (N, K, M, etc.. are OK but there usually shady people mixed in).

The city is seven miles ina square, you can walk but youll be walking a lot :) Definitely get a car or a 3 day MUNI pass, it will let you on all the buses and streetcars. You can also get a 3 day citypass taht gives you a 3 day muni pass as well as admission to variosu sights in the city. If this is your fist time, visit Golden Gate bridge and walk around the Presidio, Fishermans Wharf and the Embarcadero are the two must sees, along with Alcatraz if you have time. The second tier of sights include Golden Gate Park, Coit Tower, and the Legion of Honor. DO NOT go to HUnters point/Bayview/or the Tenderloin unless you want to get shot.

Let me know what types of things you liek and Ill help you out.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: thescreensavers

if bart is a train then there probly be a lot of wired PPl and Gay ppl on the trian at that time. just saying they come out during the night

Lumbared street is what you should see. Check google for more

You can walkawround fishermans warf and other plases

There are tranportation in SF and around .

:confused:

BART is absolutely fine to ride at night. It runs until about 12 or 1am on weekends. I have never had one problem on it and I have been on it at all times of the day.

As far as places to see... You can hit the main tourist areas that Amol mentioned. Union Square is good if you like shopping. If you want to see what Dumbfvckistan thinks SF is like you can go to the Castro District. It really isn't as bad as people think it is. Yes you will see a guy or two in leather and you may even see a couple guys holding hands! :Q

As for your trip, have a great time. Be sure to venture away from Union Square to eat; the places around there are not representative of SF cuisine.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Union Square, where people wait three hours to get a table at Cheescake Factory.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: thescreensavers

yes, look out for the wired-gay people using public transportation at night...

:roll:

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Bah. Spend one day downtown. Then go grab a rental and drive through Napa Valley, stopping at one or two wineries. Then drive the opposite direction along the coast on HWY1 to Monterey/Carmel. It's all so wonderful.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
1) Bart in the Bay Area is very safe compared to any other train system in the country, even at night. Because you're staying in downtown SF, unless you're planning on going to East Bay, Bart should not be your main form or transportation. Get a 3 day MUNI pass and take the bus and light rails.

2) Walk down Market street heading east to the pier, then walk the along the pier up north. There are a lot of stuff to see at the water front. If you like museums, the Asian Art Museum located at Civic Center has a lot of stuff to see. You can also check out the De Young Museum in Golden Gate Park.

3) You can get a 3 day pass which works on all the mass transit, excluding BART. You'll get to more places taking the mass transit if you don't like the water front. Sure it's fine to walk around the city, but w/ so many bus lines, why walk?

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
I take Bart and Muni at night all the time and never see any action other than on the 38 Geary. Watch your wallet on the 38 Geary line because that's where the pickpocketers are. You don't need a car in SF. Cheaper to just take the taxi and the bus

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far... looks like bart should work fine for us then... We will have two medium/large suitcases, but i assume when we get off at the bart station downtown, we can just hop a taxi the rest of the way...

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Doh, I some how missed the SFO to Downtown by BART part. When I get back to SFO from LAX, I take the BART, even at mid night. It's all good. Just make sure nobody follows you at the BART parking lot. That's where it gets hairy.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
You do not have a car, correct?

Not until later in the week, for our 3 days in Napa.

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
From Union Square, it is about a 15 minute slow walk thru Chinatown to North Beach. Try a Dim Sum lunch in Chinatown or if you like Italian food, have lunch at the Stinking Rose on Columbus Ave. I would also try to rent a bicycle to go from Fisherman's wharf and go over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito. Afterwards, take the bike back to Fisherman's wharf by taking the bay ferry back to S.F. If you want some recommendations what to see or where to eat, PM me. I have lived in SF for over fifty years...

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Bah. Spend one day downtown. Then go grab a rental and drive through Napa Valley, stopping at one or two wineries. Then drive the opposite direction along the coast on HWY1 to Monterey/Carmel. It's all so wonderful.

DO THIS FOR SURE. This is what I did last time I was there (actually, the last two times). Napa is great, and Carmel is a great little town. Be sure to check out the Monterey Aquarium too.

Apr 16, 2003
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far... looks like bart should work fine for us then... We will have two medium/large suitcases, but i assume when we get off at the bart station downtown, we can just hop a taxi the rest of the way...
It might be tricky to find a taxi for such a small distance - but it is probably a little far to walk with suitcases (and Bush Street is up hill from the BART station).

As for your other questions.
1) Yes BART is fine at night
2) San Francisco is just a nice place to hang out in - grab a coffee in North Beach, stroll down Haight (avoiding the guys selling herbs in a bag), check out some of the parks (I really like the view from the top of Buena Vista Park (although I warn you it is a steep climb - but it feels like you are on top of the city)
3) Public Transit is fine - a 3 day passport is $18. Unless you are doing a lot of cable cars (which I think is $5 each ride now) it is probably just better to pay the $1.50 for a 90 minute transfer each time you use it. A lot of the city is very walkable though - it is only 7 miles by 7 miles.

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
I would recommend taking a trip to atleast one of the beaches along HWY 1 around SF (Stinson beach is pretty decent). The drive alone to the beach is worth it. Do visit the the Robert Mondavi winery when you head out to Napa.

Also, avoid driving between the hours of 4pm - 6pm in the evening outside the city. You will be stuck in traffic all around the bay area. (SF city to Napa is usually ~30-35min drive but becomes ~1-1.5hr with traffic in that peak hour. To go to Napa from SF, take 101 North, cross Golden Gate Bridge and continue on 101 and then take 37 East towards Vallejo/Napa).

As others have suggested, I would highly recommend driving down south to Monterey (its a few hours from SF).

Oh, and dont forget $3 toll for the bridge everytime you come back to the city ($5 for the Golden Gate bridge)

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Top of the Sir Francis Drake hotel, it's near Union Square. If in town on Thursday night it turns into a upscale club atmosphere.

Haigt&Ashbury area for eclectic boutique shopping.

Walk thorugh Golden Gate park/ walk across Golden Gate Bridge

Giants Game at Pac-Bell park

Museum of Modern Art sfmoma.com I think

China town for dining

Stinking Rose restarunt for quality Italian food

Going to Napa? Get reservations for the French Laundry

Alcatraz island?

Dinner cruise on the bay by Hornblower crusies

Feb 19, 2001
BART is not an issue at night. I used to ride it alone to commute home, sometimes taking the midnight train. Honestly, when I ride the SF train, the people are much nicer and it'sa much safer ride. I ride the Richmond/Fremont line adn that is where you meet strange people. I've heard about stories about girls getting molested, but that's only if you travel alone. Being a guy, I've never had an issue on BART. The only time was when a bunch of teenagers were huddling around behind me watching my laptop screen because I was watching Family Guy.

Union Square is ok, but you really only need 1 day downtown. Check out Palace of Fine Arts, and go up north past the GG Bridge. Go up 101 and then check out Point Reyes.

Originally posted by: Kaieye
From Union Square, it is about a 15 minute slow walk thru Chinatown to North Beach. Try a Dim Sum lunch in Chinatown or if you like Italian food, have lunch at the Stinking Rose on Columbus Ave. I would also try to rent a bicycle to go from Fisherman's wharf and go over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito. Afterwards, take the bike back to Fisherman's wharf by taking the bay ferry back to S.F. If you want some recommendations what to see or where to eat, PM me. I have lived in SF for over fifty years...

If you want good Dim Sum, try Lychee Garden. It's on the edge of Chinatown on Powell, or New Asia is smack dab in Chinatown. If you also want to go to a world famous egg tart place, try "Golden Gate Bakery" on Grant smack dab in the middle of Chinatown. There's always a line, and it's PREMIUM EGG TARTS.

As for Italian food, try Steps of Rome or as someone suggested Stinking Rose. Biking along Embaracderro is AWSOME. I've done it once, and it's one thrilling experience. Oh if you want really nice prime rib, try House of Prime Rib on Van Ness.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
wander through chinatown, and then meander over to north beach, they are RIGHT next to each other. have some dim sum, walk it off, and then go to north beach to get yourself some pastries and chocolate and coffee.

hop on a bus down to pier 39. be a tourist. see the sea lions flopped out there, there's a little (but a kinda unexciting) aquarium, random games, ferries, etc. if you have time, go to alcatraz. eat some clam chowder. have some dungeness crab.

union square shopping is all major department stores.

there's also a japantown in SF, but it's not that fun compared to chinatown.

golden gate park is fun - i don't know if anyone rents bikes out in the park (i can't remember, i always brought my own) but that's fun to ride through!

SF beaches are yucky.

the giants rule, and their ballpark is awesome. if you go, get the expensive giants dog (it's like six something bucks) with grilled onions, and then later get garlic fries!

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
i really appreciate all the help everyone, i'll make sure to bring back some good pics :)