a cult tried to convert me at an IHOP!

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Sorry if this story is a little fragmented, etc. but I'm still laughing too hard!

Three friends and I decided to go out at an IHOP to eat (it was pretty late). While we were eating, apparently a cult was leaving and stopped by our table. We're all "brown" (Indians and Pakistani descent). Apparently the cult's pastor was directed by God to talk to us and nobody else in the entire IHOP. We asked him why he thought we weren't already Christians, why he came only to us, etc. and his reply was "God led me to you." Then his Phillipino buddy came and thought that we would be impressed with their inclusion of a minority. Then one of their girls came and started spouting off how "handsome we are, how we have beautiful faces, etc." They tried to pry out what our ethnicities were, but we would give vague replies like "Huntsville, Alabama" and then they would ask no, before that, so we would say "Houston, TX", then they would ask no, where were you born, so we would reply "California." Then they started asking us what we do, and we replied that we're all Vanderbilt University students. They had some sort of script :) They started asking us what our majors were, and one of us said Electrical Engineering, and the cult pastor was like "Medical?" and he was like "No, engineering." He was trying to get a good segueway into his next story which was about a Muslim Uruguay minister who owned a church land who couldn't pay their own rent. Apparently he had a back problem and so he went to the church and was magically cured and so he changed his life and prayed to Jesus and stuff. They also claim to have cured AIDS cases in Uruguay. They started talking about how we should go with them with their partners at Vanderbilt Medical Center or something to Uruguay :)

After about 30 minutes of his sermon, he asked us to allow him to pray for us. We let him, it was quite amusing watching him pray for us and pray that the devils within our souls would be exorcised or whatever.

Then like 30 minutes later, they freakin RETURN! He claims to have left his Bible at the IHOP even though he was carrying it the entire time. He asks us to attend his church for the 30th time, etc. etc. etc. They finally leave.

Anything like this ever happen to anyone? :)

It was extremely funny.. we were asking them a lot of bogus questions. Quite entertaining!

"Things are changing here in Nashville.. I can feel it in the air. It's not entertainment, It's not money. It's Jesus!"

Oh, they gave us their business card, too! I like the quote on it.. "This is that."

They also said that we have to give our life to Jesus. So, my friend asks "So, does that like mean, that I have to shoot myself in the head with like a gun?"

My other friend asks what time it's at, and finds out that it's at 2 pm. We reply, "Oh, we won't be up at that time. Sorry!"

The funny thing is that they had a -10% chance of recruiting us.. especially at an IHOP!

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Happens to me all the time...I guess I just have that I'm-gonna-join-your-religion look...

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<< "Things are changing here in Nashville.. I can feel it in the air. It's not entertainment, It's not money. It's Jesus!" >>

Ha ha...I love this line.

btw, Filipino or Philippine...

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
yeah i was walking in a mall back home when i was a teenager and some old couple stopped me and asked me if i knew where the Kinney shoe store was. i said there wasn't one in the mall and then she said, "OH, well have you found Jesus our Lord and Savior?" and i said, "yeah at one time...but now i worship Satan." and i walked off. the look on that womans face was priceless! :D

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Happens to me all the time. Christians, Jehovas Witnessess.... You name it, I've met them! And the bad thing is that I just don't have the heart to say "No! Leave me alone! I'm NOT interested! I'm happy the way things are, thank you very much!"

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

<<

<< "Things are changing here in Nashville.. I can feel it in the air. It's not entertainment, It's not money. It's Jesus!" >>

Ha ha...I love this line.

btw, Filipino or Philippine...
>>

Yeah we were all laughing the entire time, especially at that line. They were talking to us for like an hour :)

Sorry about the incorrect spelling of Filipino.. not thinking correctly right now :)

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

<< yeah i was walking in a mall back home when i was a teenager and some old couple stopped me and asked me if i knew where the Kinney shoe store was. i said there wasn't one in the mall and then she said, "OH, well have you found Jesus our Lord and Savior?" and i said, "yeah at one time...but now i worship Satan." and i walked off. the look on that womans face was priceless! :D >>

Three of us wanted to say stuff like that, but the 4th one.. she would kick us when we would start making weird comments :)

Funny thing is that at the table there were so many different religions/beliefs, too. Muslim, Hindu, agnostic, etc.

Oct 9, 1999
its funny how these preaches thing they are the "saviours"..

I remember this guy on a flight within india that tried to save me. For gods sake.. god should have saved him.. he was so scared of flying with JetAirways. The only reason I was talking to him was because he was from Los Angeles. Everything was way cool until he mentioned those forbidden words "Have you been saved".

There are several of these weird incidents..

Like the other day I was waiting outside my car, waiting for my friend to come so we could go out.. and this guy walks past me and then turns back and approaches me. He then says "I am on my way to church and was wondering if you wanted to be saved". Just before he approached me I was pacing, cause this guy was late, and I was getting pissed. I pace when I am bored, well he must have thought I was possessed by the devil himself.

The worst of the lot for me though isnt the christian fanatics but the Scientologists.. now that is irritating..

TGG

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Never had that happen but a long time ago (around 10 years ago) I was in my home town of Vancouver, Canada in the heart of our downtown and I witnessed a truely bizarre event.......... a fight between a group of Harry Krishnas & Some othe rgroup who wanted to use the same corner............ Religious turf wars.......... The Harry Krishnas got there asses wooped :)

Cheers,
Aquaman

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001

<< Never had that happen but a long time ago (around 10 years ago) I was in my home town of Vancouver, Canada in the heart of our downtown and I witnessed a truely bizarre event.......... a fight between a group of Harry Krishnas & Some othe rgroup who wanted to use the same corner............ Religious turf wars.......... The Harry Krishnas got there asses wooped :)

Cheers,
Aquaman
>>

BTW it's Hare Krishna. And of course they got their asses whooped, they are, after all, non-violent :). I have met them as well. In Helsinki, I was walking alone, when one of them approached me and tried to sell me some home-made chocolate-candy (I refused). Then he tried to convert me. He asked me that what I do. I told him that I'm still studying and I work whenever I have the time. He asked what fieldm and I replied "Informatino Technology". He said "That's what I thought. You look like you work with computers". I'm still wondering whether to take that as an insult or not ;).

I also met one in my tiny home-town. And that's EXTREMELY surprising, it's a small town, we don't really have any religious thingies like that.

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
i once saw a band of cooks at a barnes and noble discussing all sorts of bogus stuff, i was sitting near em:p some looked homeless, maybe just hippies, others normal, had pamphlets and stuff. babbling about the bible, area 51, how america is going to the devil etc. it was amusing but frightening.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Their business card says:

Revival Church

"this is that" acts 2:16

Sunday Revival Meeting 2pm
The Lord's Chapel - their address

Pastors names here (it appears to be a married man and his wife) with their phone number

I asked what denomination they were and they said they were non-denominational, but that they were God's choice or something like that.

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Someone approached me once and asked if I was saved. (Religion unknown)

I looked at him and without hesitiation said; "Well..I do have a 401K", and walked away.

- TK

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< I remember this guy on a flight within india that tried to save me. For gods sake.. god should have saved him.. he was so scared of flying with JetAirways. The only reason I was talking to him was because he was from Los Angeles. Everything was way cool until he mentioned those forbidden words "Have you been saved". >>

Thats where you go: "Did you hear that? That creaking sound in the airframe, sounded like the plane was going to fall apart." of if you can see the engine casually look out the window and go: "Oh my god, I just saw 20' flames come out of the engine.". And you can always reminisce that you saw the pilot reading a flying manual as you got on the plane or numerous other techniques. :)

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
I'll usually make up some outrageous story about having a cult with me as god and try to get them to join. That usually drives them away in a hurry.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
You are much more patient than I, that's for sure. Now, on the street, if I get approached by a pea-brained, religious cult zealot, I politely say "no thanks" and walk away. Quickly.

But if I was eating and someone like that bothered me? I'd look them right in the eye and say "Do you see that I am eating? Get out of my face, right NOW." I hate being bothered while I'm eating! <--pet peeve (big-time)

If they persisted, I'd have made a big scene, called the cops, whatever it took to get them away from me. Then, I 'd ream the restaurant mgr a new hole for letting religious freaks bother me while I'm eating. That would be a free meal for me.

Organized religion is for weak-willed, sheep-type people that can't think for themselves. Freaky, splinter-group-cult-type "religions" like that which approached you are simply psychos.

Unfortunately, my younger brother (30 years old) has been "born again" *YAWN*. After being raised Roman Catholic (me too, no longer practicing) he converted about three years ago. My mother almost died from heartbreak. My brother now quotes the bible....."God gave you that hamburger, Mike" "God wants you to repent, Mike" "God this" "God that"

One day I said, "God wants you to STFU and leave your brother alone." He was very sad, but that's ufortunatley what it took for him to stop trying to "save me." We're on good terms now that we have an understanding. I don't need/want to be saved.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Heh, when I was young and innocent (5th grade) I talked to some guy on the street w/ my friend for 3 hours! We were both catholic and he was talking to us about being catholic. We didn't know anything about cults or how people try to recruit others into their own churches so we just thought of him as someone wanting to share info. He finally got tired of talking to us and left!

I wonder what someone would do if you stopped them on the street and said "hey, have you been freed?" and then try to sell them athiesm. I bet it wouldn't be taken as well as those people that stop you for religious cults :).

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
He who partaketh of the SPLIT DECISION shall truly have a place at the right hand of God.
But he who partaketh of the ROOTY TOOTY FRESH N FRUITY shall reap the seeds of the fruits of their labor and spend eternity in the darkness of the buckwheat pancakes.

Jzero 12:46

J Heartless Slick

Golden Member
Nov 11, 1999
I was walking in Washington D.C. and this guy asked me if I wanted to see a movie. I thought "what the hell" and went with him and four other guys to this large townhouse. These guys were Scientologists.

The guy who approached me took me into this class room and told me how neat the organization was and what the advantages were. I told him that it sounded pretty cool and then I told him about Taoism and the suchness of everything. He said that I was making it up and then explained to me again how right his belief system was. I decided if he and his organization thought I "made up" Taoism which is older than Buddhism then they needed to get their heads out of their butts and I walked out.

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
when i was in college the moonies always asked if you wanted to go to dinner with them that night.

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000

<< Organized religion is for weak-willed, sheep-type people that can't think for themselves. >>

So, MichaelD, even though you know nothing else about me at all, you can declare without doubt that I am a weak-willed sheep who can't think for himself? My wife too, huh?

Wow. Its like you know us.

Atheism is for impotent, unhappy, and stupid-heads - woohoo! I win! MichaelD is a doody-head! I am so smart!

Sigh.

rolleye.gif

(BTW, I just want to make clear that comment above about atheists is pure SARCASM. Thanks.)

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
i was recruited by a cult called the Church of Christ at UCLA. I actually went to some of their meetings b/c they gave you free ice cream and good food. I told them I wasn't interested in their religious beliefs, but I would gladly take thier free pizza and free ice cream. After about 3 or 4 times they didn't ask me to come anymore :(. I never found someone again during college that would pay for my pizza. oh well. the only time they annoy me is if they come to my house. usually they can't make it past the gates or the guard.

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Checks and balances.

The presence of Optimus and Elita on this forum have created a sort of check when writing about religious topics. I find it a bit easy to let out the frustration and make sweeping comments about religion and religious people, but knowing that some very decent people like Optimus and Elita are believers provides a retarding pull-back of any desire to use scathing venom in such discussions. I try to "attack" ideas rather than people, though the distinction may not always be clear.

Of course, you can look at it from the perspective that peeps call Democrats bleeding hearts and Republicans heartless b@stards, so any generalist comment made must be taken in its context. If somebody says "all religious people are sheep", it's not to be construed that Alfred K. Skilman of 700 East Windsor Ave, Columbus, OH is a sheep because he is religious, but rather, some religious beliefs have a tendency to make otherwise reasonable and logical people unreasonable and illogical. :p

cipher00

Golden Member
Jan 29, 2001
What's the deal? All who watch South Park know that Mormonism is the one, true religion.

"Let's go make things out of egg cartons!"