A Complete History Of Mainframe Computing

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
A Complete History Of Mainframe Computing

Our trip down mainframe lane starts and ends, not so surprisingly, with IBM. Back in the 1930s, when a computer was actually a fellow with a slide rule who did computations for you, IBM was mainly known for its punched-card machines. However, the transformation of IBM from one of the many sellers of business machines to the company that later became a computer monopoly was due in large part to forward-looking leadership, at that time going by the name of Thomas Watson, Sr.

http://www.tomshardware.com/pi...-computer-history.html

First - yes of course nothing that claims to be "complete" is really going to be complete...but I thought it was fun to read this and see the pictures and so on. Enjoy, and try to not hate it too much because it doesn't have your favorite mainframe xyz included in the list. ;) :p

Personally I was impressed they included the ABC, history is static (it is whatever it was and nothing more) but recorded history is quite dynamic and ever changing as we continually rediscover what really happened and why. The ABC was one of those, and I'm sure its only a matter of time before a something is uncovered which predates the ABC as well.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Cool, they didn't forget the z10, and their information is remarkably accurate.