A Canadian Daycare is now a 'vaccine-free environment'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Food for thought:

Is the exceptional morbidity rate (percentage) truly because of vaccines or because healthcare and treatment options have come a hell of a long way since the pre-vaccine era?

Improvements in treatment alone have no impact on annual cases, which is what the figure is illustrating.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Food for thought:

Is the exceptional morbidity rate (percentage) truly because of vaccines or because healthcare and treatment options have come a hell of a long way since the pre-vaccine era?

lol no. It doesn't become more virulent, it become more prevalent in the ecosystem.

Lol, no you are wrong. It mutates as it spreads and those mutations that survive tend towards a more pathogenic state. VDPV cause more morbidity and mortality in the non-vaccinated peoples of the world than that actual wild polio virus,.

Last edited:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Improvements in treatment alone have no impact on annual cases, which is what the figure is illustrating.

Bah, you're right there. Brain was thinking mortality, hands were typing morbidity. That post was made before I was awake (and for some reason I can't really see the raw numbers that well either).

Lol, no you are wrong. It mutates as it spreads and those mutations that survive tend towards a more pathogenic state.

Very rarely at best, otherwise Polio would still be a relevant virus today even in localities which still use OPV.

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Bah, you're right there. Brain was thinking mortality, hands were typing morbidity. That post was made before I was awake (and for some reason I can't really see the raw numbers that well either).

Very rarely at best, otherwise Polio would still be a relevant virus today even in localities which still use OPV.

It isn't rare at all, but the vaccine protects against the mutations as well. Again these mutations of the vaccine virus causes more problems today than the actual polio virus. Thanks to widespread vaccination these virus are also kept in check, so only a few hundred a year become paralyzed.

Last edited:

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Mutations are why ebola had/has potential to be so fucking terrible. If it were to mutate and become communicable airborn as a function of it multiplying so many times, it'd be pretty awful.