A Canadian Daycare is now a 'vaccine-free environment'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Why take kids away for this? Have them vaccinated before even considering taking children from their family.

failing to provide the necessities of life, comes to mind.

hell that's a crime here.

and all because some stupid parent read one of the 7 articles that say vaccines are bad.

but due to government inaction and public outcry the kids would never ever be removed from abusive parents like that.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
failing to provide the necessities of life, comes to mind.

hell that's a crime here.

and all because some stupid parent read one of the 7 articles that say vaccines are bad.

but due to government inaction and public outcry the kids would never ever be removed from abusive parents like that.

So if a parent errs due to correctable foolishness you believe you should traumatize the child for life by a far more aggressive action than making the kid get a shot? That's like being maimed for double parking.

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/0...for-kids-public-health-is-not-happy-about-it/

and now the good stuff:

that's the sort of thinking the anti-vacc idiots are encouraging.

this is the sort of thing that results in tragedy for children and parents.

It seems the law here needs some fine tuning to allow only immunized children in daycare facilities.

this is a sad situation indeed.
when i was a kid I was vaccinated against the usual stuff, polio, tuberculosis and others because these diseases, if caught, could really do harm. I saw one kid who had polio and he was unable to walk. In fact he missed the vaccine by mere months as it was not available before. How can these morons not vaccinate their children? The kids should be taken away from them.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
It's because it's a for profit day care! :p

Seriously, I would have thought Canada would have regulatory requirements for vaccinations. I suppose stupidity is not exclusively ours.

lol well yeah, i suppose it is in a tongue in cheek kind of way. I mean, if we had a national daycare system - which has often been debated in policy circles - effectively taking profit out of the equation, the main concern of these daycares should be the well being of the children. Rationally, this means vaccinations, but it wouldn't right away for some reason. That being said, I don't know how I feel about a national daycare system. A different topic in its entirety that is much more complex because not all people have children, or the same number of children. The cost would be difficult if not impossible to distribute equitably, plus would open the floodgates for people who can't afford children to just have children and not need to worry about the costs associated. It would have some advantages though.

Anyhow, it won't be long before Ontario follows suit in terms of regulating vaccines. My guess is they're prepping the legislation now, and will hold on to it until Wynne does something stupid and needs a popular item that will receive huge support to turn around the message. It will likely be something about schools, and that in order to go to a public school the kid must be vaccinated.

Now that I think about it though, it's about time that the teacher's unions weigh in on this. That is, I'm surprised they haven't yet. Frankly they should keep their damn mouths shut but no one has claimed hazard pay for unvaccinated kids yet! That sounds like something Wynne would give in to.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
The problem you allude to is with the Sabin vaccine not the Salk vaccine.

Fun fact: It wasn't considered a problem. It was actually considered a feature...

The Sabin oral polio vaccine was made with a live but weakened virus, which gives the advantage of passive immunity for large groups (i.e. because it is easily passed on through the oral fecal route in households, schoolrooms, etc., even if only a portion of the community is immunized, everyone eventually develops immunity).

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Idiot,

and FYI I never said MMR or any common vaccines in the U.S or Canada was contagious. I simply said their exist vaccines, some of which are still used in the world that are contagious, but an idiot like you wouldn't understand that.

Completely irrelevant to the story. This story is about MMR.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
good now they can all get sick and die together

Unfortunately, this is probably what needs to happen to end this anti-vaccination garbage. These unvaccinated daycares are quickly overrun with a measles and pertusis outbreak resulting in a few deaths and it finally opens people's eyes that even if the untrue health risks of vaccines are a reality, they're a far, far better alternative than allowing completely preventable diseases to run rampant and permanently injure, disable, or kill children.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I like that their "pure organic" lunch thing is there too. great thing when the kids start getting sick because the fuckers that run this place refuse to provide UV-treated spinach because, you know "radiation."

idiots

Lol seriously?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Unfortunately, this is probably what needs to happen to end this anti-vaccination garbage. These unvaccinated daycares are quickly overrun with a measles and pertusis outbreak resulting in a few deaths and it finally opens people's eyes that even if the untrue health risks of vaccines are a reality, they're a far, far better alternative than allowing completely preventable diseases to run rampant and permanently injure, disable, or kill children.
yup.

here is what pertussis looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3oZrMGDMMw

and anti-vaccers think getting the disease is better than getting immunized.

:rolleyes:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
lol well yeah, i suppose it is in a tongue in cheek kind of way. I mean, if we had a national daycare system - which has often been debated in policy circles - effectively taking profit out of the equation, the main concern of these daycares should be the well being of the children.

If you took profit out if the equation though daycare centers wouldn't be affected by what is good for the child. What would be of benefit is if instead of making everything government owned or run would be to address the issues at hand. Day care centers don't make money from vaccines.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
If you took profit out if the equation though daycare centers wouldn't be affected by what is good for the child. What would be of benefit is if instead of making everything government owned or run would be to address the issues at hand. Day care centers don't make money from vaccines.

They would if they were government run, as you have suggested, and I had meant to indicate in my previous post.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I'm confused. You can't make a law that says vaccines are mandated?

lol I think we are confusing each other. I probably misinterpreted what you wrote above. I'll write in detail about what I'm trying to say. Sorry if it sounds patronizing - not the intent at all.

It would be possible to mandate vaccines but there would need to be some form of punishment. E.g. kids not allowed at daycare. But the daycare scenario is complicated because there are both licensed and unlicensed daycares. Unlicensed daycares are still bound by some regulations but they're not inspected and the only way they ever come under scrutiny is when a kid gets hurt or something. Unlicensed daycares are usually when a family member is watching a child, or like the one my mom used to run with a few kids after school. Licensed daycares are bound by quite rigid requirements and are inspected usually pretty regularly. Generally, Licensed daycares are more expensive than unlicensed. The case of the woman in the OP article is unlicensed.

Mandating vaccines becomes problematic because there is no regulation that a child's daycare needs to be licensed at all, which is to say the daycare is not bound by all regulations. If legislation were passed requiring all kids that attend a daycare to be vaccinated, at best this would only ensure that all kids attending licensed daycares would be vaccinated because it would not apply to unlicensed. There's no way it could, since there is no requirement that a child even needs to attend a daycare at all much less a licensed one.

If a government run national day care system was in place, these would all be licensed facilities, and because the cost would be zero out of pocket (not counting tax increase) the number of kids at licensed facilities would go up. In turn, if legislation were introduced to require vaccines in order to attend the national day care system, more kids would get vaccinated. But a national day care system will never require that kids attend. Unlicensed centres will still exist and those kids still won't require vaccination (which is to say there is no legal requirement to be vaccinated. They still should be).

So the earliest opportunity to guarantee that all kids will be vaccinated is when they are first school aged, requiring vaccinations to attend school. I don't see how it could be enforced that children get vaccinated when they are 1 year old or w/e the most appropriate age is since there is nothing mandatory that this child will ever need to do at that age. Could fine the parents, I suppose, but it would probably be more expensive to keep track of than it would actually generate in revenue.

In my opinion, require kids at licensed centres to be vaccinated and then again require kids to be vaccinated at school age in order to attend school. Doesn't stop the homeschoolers, but... well... meh.

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
that's the sort of thinking the anti-vacc idiots are encouraging..

The only idiots are the people who think that somehow a non vaccinated person is somehow going to frickin transmit an illness to a person who is immunized. If you're immunized then wtf do you care? Oh, that's right, because those same vaccines rotted out your brain and you cant even add two plus two. All you can do is sit there and drool all over yourself while sitting in front of that screen soaking up more bs propaganda. Thinking is the most contagious disease of them all. Luckily for you, there is a very effective vaccine for it.

Dec 10, 2005
The only idiots are the people who think that somehow a non vaccinated person is somehow going to frickin transmit an illness to a person who is immunized. If you're immunized then wtf do you care? Oh, that's right, because those same vaccines rotted out your brain and you cant even add two plus two. All you can do is sit there and drool all over yourself while sitting in front of that screen soaking up more bs propaganda. Thinking is the most contagious disease of them all. Luckily for you, there is a very effective vaccine for it.

Speaking of idiots, have you looked at your post?

Herd immunity protects those that can't be vaccinated, such as infants, people that are immune compromised, and people that are allergic to a vaccine. And to top it off, sometimes, the vaccine simply doesn't produce an immunity in a vaccinated individual. When the vaccinated population is high enough, diseases don't really spread, as there aren't enough unvaccinated people to spread the illness to. So it certainly is the vaccinated population's god-damn business if irresponsible people willingly leave their children susceptible to diseases (and thus could become carriers that spread those diseases).

192361-beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
really? that is in the top 10 of the dumbest things posted in P&N.

if that's your opinion you should just quit before making a bigger jackass of yourself.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fun fact: It wasn't considered a problem. It was actually considered a feature...

The problem is with each person that spreads it, it has a tendency to become more and more virulent, until it is no less dangerous than the natural wild polio virus. Today there are Vaccine Derived Polio Viruses which are highly contagious and as pathogenic as the wild one. One important reason for continued vaccination is due to the VDPV that have become highly contagious and pathogenic.

Oct 30, 2004
I suppose that every couple decades the general public sheeple need to experience the value of vaccination.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Just here to leave a reminder

m0OTNu8.jpg

Food for thought:

Is the exceptional morbidity rate (percentage) truly because of vaccines or because healthcare and treatment options have come a hell of a long way since the pre-vaccine era?

The problem is with each person that spreads it, it has a tendency to become more and more virulent, until it is no less dangerous than the natural wild polio virus.

lol no. It doesn't become more virulent, it become more prevalent in the ecosystem.