Question A bit lost with processor specs for video playback...

Inikay

Dec 29, 2004
Hi!

I'm upgrading my rig, but I'm a bit lost with video abilities of current processors. I understand that AMD Ryzen "G" processors come with an integrated GPU. If I buy an AMD Ryzen processor other than "G" line or an Intel processor, do I really need a graphics card for it to run? I was looking at AMD Ryzen 2600 or 3500X vs Intel i5-10500. But I don't know if I need to get a graphics card or not...

I'm only upgrading MB, CPU (currently an old Athlon X2 350) and RAM, so please help me out on my options in accordance with info below.

Thanks!

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Basically office (big data spreadsheets), internet and Full HD movies (including streaming - netflix, HBO). I really value good quality full HD video playback. Don't play on this computer.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
Around $350-400.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
US or Europe.

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
----

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
No preference, although I consistently buy AMD processors and ASUS MB. But will take anything.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
I'm keeping SSD, HDD, optical drives, power source, peripherals. Will only need CPU, MB and RAM.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
No OC.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
1080p

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Now.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
No software needed.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I would go i5-11400 and a B560 board. The 11400 has improved graphics over 10th gen. Do not buy F model, that does not have graphics built in. Asrock B560M Steel Legend, Asrock B560M Pro4/AC, or the Asus B560M-A all look good for $120 and under here in the U.S., though availability is spotty. Add 2x8GB of DDR4 3200, 2x16GB if it fits in your budget with pricing from where you are buying. And you have a great budget combo that will do anything you listed.

Inikay

Dec 29, 2004
I would go i5-11400 and a B560 board. The 11400 has improved graphics over 10th gen. Do not buy F model, that does not have graphics built in. Asrock B560M Steel Legend, Asrock B560M Pro4/AC, or the Asus B560M-A all look good for $120 and under here in the U.S., though availability is spotty. Add 2x8GB of DDR4 3200, 2x16GB if it fits in your budget with pricing from where you are buying. And you have a great budget combo that will do anything you listed.

Thanks for the hepl! Right now, where I live, I can only find the Micro-ATX ASRock B560M-HDV and the ATX ASRock B560 Pro4. The HDV only has two DIMM slots, but it has got a D-SUB connection, which I can use for my second monitor. The Pro4 has got 4 DIMM Slots for future expansion, but lacks th D-SUB connection... Any of these would do ok, no?

And would it make a huge difference if I got a H510 or H470 chipset based MB? These seem to be more available than the B560 chipset MB.

Thanks again!

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The H470 boards likely won't work with 11th gen out of box. The H510 is really barebones, but if you can live with giving up features like M.2 gen 4, and faster memory speeds, it should get the job done. Another consideration if you go H510, and USB 3.2 20Gbps is something you can use, try to find one that has a 3rd party controller e.g. Asmedia, since it is not available via PCH.

The B560M-HDV seems like the best fit though. Going with 16GB sticks if you can afford it, will keep you from potentially needing to replace 8GB sticks later. And since you are using iGPU, the extra ram is always nice, as the ram is shared.

Inikay

Dec 29, 2004
The H470 boards likely won't work with 11th gen out of box. The H510 is really barebones, but if you can live with giving up features like M.2 gen 4, and faster memory speeds, it should get the job done. Another consideration if you go H510, and USB 3.2 20Gbps is something you can use, try to find one that has a 3rd party controller e.g. Asmedia, since it is not available via PCH.

The B560M-HDV seems like the best fit though. Going with 16GB sticks if you can afford it, will keep you from potentially needing to replace 8GB sticks later. And since you are using iGPU, the extra ram is always nice, as the ram is shared.

Roger that. Will try to get the B560M-HDV, then. Will see if I can accommodate the 16GB DDR4 3200 sticks in my budget to cover for future needs. Thanks for all the help!

Reactions: DAPUNISHER