a bat in my house

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
last night I was awakened at around 1:30 to some high pitched squeaking in my house. I go downstairs and find a tiny bat crawling around on the carpet screeching like crazy! It was maybe 4 inches wide with a nice black velvet looking skin. I couldn't tell if it was a jouvenile or an adult... or wether it was injured or not. It seemed to be crawling around fine and never attempted to fly. Not knowing what to do, I just got a piece of cardboard and let him crawl on it and took him outside and let him down on the lawn. My hope was that if it's a baby then maybe its calling for its mother and she'll come by and pick him up. I have no idea how it got inside my house... no windows or doors were open, and the chimney is sealed. We dont have central heating/AC so no ducts to think about either... very strange. Anyway, after I put him on the lawn and tried to go back to sleep I kept hearing his cries from outside. So what would you have done? I hope he's ok now.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
You did the right thing. :) Very kind of you to put it back outside and not kill the poor thing.

Bats are a vital part of the ecological system. They eat bugs. I hate bugs.

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
Bats are blind so if he's a baby he's probably learning how to use his senses. My guess is it's normal. Where do you live to have bats flying around? heh.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I live in southern New York, 30 miles from the city. I will often see bats flying around at night but I never actually seen one up close, nor have I ever heard them make a sound. I always thought their pitch was too high for humans to hear. I love bats too for that reason: eating bugs. Especially mosquitos! I know I've heard very similar squeaks in my attic once before, which seem to be coming from the wall between the attic and the chimney. I always thought they were birds, but now I'm wondering if thats where the bats live. It still dosent explain how it got in the house!

rky60

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
A monster of a bat did a fly-by on my head while i was sittin at the computer a few weeks back. Total darkness in the room at the time, needless to say it scared the sh!t of me until i realized what it was.

The back door was left open on the screened-in porch an inch or two, them things can squeeze in anywhere. I just opened the door and the winged devil made it's way out through the hallways and around the corners with no problem :)