___Alan Keyes is hands down, the most articulate candidate running___

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Alan Keyes is by far the most articulate candidate (Democrat, Republican or independent), running for the Oval Office.

I've never heard any candidate able to articulate their posisions as well as Mr. Keyes.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Blain
Alan Keyes is by far the most articulate candidate (Democrat, Republican or independent), running for the Oval Office.

I've never heard any candidate able to articulate their posisions as well as Mr. Keyes.

Likely the most intelligent and best educated as well... Although you could make some arguments as to the latter with some of the other candidates... Sadly he'll probably do about as well as he did last time.

On the bright side, he will undoubtedly jump ahead of Ron Paul in the polls. :laugh:

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I wish televised debates would allow more time for actual debating, rather than the sound bite snippets we get now.

I believe Americans do have enough attention span to listen to fleshed out positions.
But the electronic media has no patience for lengthy dialog.
Print media is much better suited to cover details.

At least having Mr. Keyes participating in a debate raises the level of discourse. ;)

Oh how I miss Firing Line with William F. Buckley Jr. :(

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I believe Americans do have enough attention span to listen to fleshed out positions.

I do not believe that the average American has the interest to devote the time to anything particularly meaningful in their life beyond that which they do through habit.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
I wish televised debates would allow more time for actual debating, rather than the sound bite snippets we get now.

But the electronic media has no patience for lengthy dialog.
Print media is much better suited to cover details.

At least having Mr. Keyes participating in a debate raises the level of discourse. ;)

Oh how I miss Firing Line with William F. Buckley Jr. :(

The media has nothing to do with why debates suck, The canidates set the rules for debates not the media. If the media doesn't like the rules they will take their debate to another channel

Feb 10, 2000
He may be articulate, but he's also a complete jackass. Obama's drubbing of him for the IL junior senator seat was among the most lopsided victories in federal electoral history - by the end the margin was something like 40%. After Keyes made all those stupid comments about homosexuals being "selfish hedonists" (while his daughter is a lesbian, as it happens), even the chairman of the IL Republican Party said his remarks were idiotic, and the head of the state assembly (also a Republican) said he hoped Keyes had rented, not bought the apartment in Chicago he was using to gain residence for his run.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Sure he's articulate, but he doesn't say anything substantive. He's nothing more than a fast-talking sensationalist.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Well, Keyes certainly has had enough practice running...:p

Sure, he's probably the most well read and spoken person running but alas he's a Conservative, black, and a Christian(not a pretender like the others seem to be). So this means he'll be marginalized by those who don't think the above is possible or good.

I like the guy but IMO he's not who I'd want as President right about now.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: Mucho
Isn't he just a serial candidate and attention whore?

serial candidate - yes
attention whore - he's a politician so that's pretty much a given.
Have you read what positions he takes on issues?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: Mucho
Isn't he just a serial candidate and attention whore?

serial candidate - yes
attention whore - he's a politician so that's pretty much a given.
Have you read what positions he takes on issues?

Yes, keyes' positions are not "new" to me, I've looked at him in the past. He was on a local talk show I listen to yesterday too.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..he's viewed a a threat by both side of the isle and the willing accomplices in the media.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Alan Keyes is very good at articulating his absolutely ridiculous positions on everything.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Harvey
Alan Keyes is very good at articulating his absolutely ridiculous positions on everything.
One issue: Defending our borders. Mr. Keyes believes the US government has an absolute duty and responsibility to secure the nations borders. He thinks that should be done with a combination of technology, barriers and military personel.

He's said that should be accomplished before moving on to debating about how deal with the illegal immigration population.

Harvey sees this position as "absolutely ridiculous"?

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: IGBT
..he's viewed a a threat by both side of the isle and the willing accomplices in the media.

Bwahahahaha!!! That's the funniest thing I've read all week. Alan Keyes makes Dennis Kucinich look viable. He is even less threatening as a presidential candidate than he was as a senatorial candidate in Illinois.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I thought Keyes was done after Illinois... that is one prediction that I bet everyone wish I had right.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
Alan Keyes is a jackass. I went to school with his daughter and I cannot believe he completely rejected her the way he did, as well as his wife.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Joe Biden wants to know if he's clean as well.

Keyes has good one-liners but it's hard to take anything he says seriously. He also has a yoda like voice. Still, he livens up debates.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Keyes has good one-liners but it's hard to take anything he says seriously.
"One-liners"... have you actually listened to him?
He speaks in paragraphs, not one-liners. :shocked:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Harvey

/agree

because this seems to be my go-to site of the day...

# Do everything to overthrow Roe vs. Wade to acknowledge God. (Oct 2003)
# Can?t address budget deficit until we address moral deficit. (Aug 1995)
# Gay marriage destroys fundamental moral institutions. (Jul 2004)
# Protect religion from the state, but not vice versa. (Feb 2004)
# Right to acknowledge God is the foundation of all our rights. (Feb 2004)
# Public display of the Ten Commandments is a state's right. (Oct 2003)
# The belief that you can't legislate morality is nonsensical. (Oct 2003)
# Affirmative action turns back the clock. (Aug 1995)
# HIV workshop violates parents who think gay is immoral. (Jul 2000)
# Ten Commandments & prayer should be in schools. (Jan 2000)
# Signed pledge to reinstitute ban on gays in military. (Jan 2000)
# No separation of church & state; fight uniform irreligion. (Jan 2000)
# Oppose gay agenda in military & marriage laws. (Jan 2000)
# Warns that Supreme Court has advanced gay marriage agenda. (May 1999)
# Failing to revere God results in violence and crime. (Oct 2003)
# Without death penalty for murder, we disregard life. (Jan 2000)
# Pray in the classroom, pray in the hallways, pray everywhere. (Aug 2004)
# Sex education should be abstinence-based. (Jan 1999)
# Save kids? souls-they don?t need free speech. (Jan 2000)
# Shape our children?s consciences in the fear of God. (Dec 1999)
# Africa: No money for AIDS, because money won?t cure AIDS. (Jan 2000)
# Gun control is an outcome of godless materialism. (May 1999)
# AIDS is a moral crisis based on licentious behavior. (Jan 2000)
# Ban homosexuals in the military. (Jan 2000)
# No women in combat. (Jun 1995)
# Christianity best; but Declaration of Independence will do. (Aug 2004)
# Income tax exemptions for descendants of black slaves. (Sep 2004)
# Abolish the income tax and eventually tax the Internet. (Jan 2000)
# Shift welfare from government to the faith sector. (Oct 1999)

http://www.ontheissues.org/Alan_Keyes.htm

honestly? I'd sooner vote for Bush to have a third term than vote for Keyes to have a first.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Alan Keyes is totally hilarious. I'm still not convinced that he's not pulling some sort of Stephen Colbert style character.

He says things like our schools are doing badly because they aren't allowed to worship god in them. He wants to scrap don't ask don't tell... to reinstate the ban on gays in the military. He says that right to die laws are wrong because they usurp the power of god to kill you when he wants to.

Should I go on? Alan Keyes is a nutty theocrat. He's fun to listen to though.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Keyes has good one-liners but it's hard to take anything he says seriously.
"One-liners"... have you actually listened to him?
He speaks in paragraphs, not one-liners. :shocked:

Well, they're more like run-on sentences :)

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Alan Keyes speaks in paragraphs, not one-liners.

And does not a paragraph consist of a set of bad one liners strung together.

The point being, in a logical argument you make a initial argument based on certain premises being true. If those same premises are not true, the whole argument fails, and thereafter no amount of paragraphs of verbose articulation can repair the flaws in the initial premises. But to the faithful who want to believe, it can sound like paradise on earth.

Lets just examine one such premise-------# Shape our children?s consciences in the fear of God. (Dec 1999)

Isn't the above just our bitch about Iran and the Mullahs?