_____Change the timing gear set on my 2.2L Chevy?_____...Problem Found...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Problem Fould... :thumbsup:

My S10 2.2L has an odd knocking/scraping sound.
Sounds similar to valve chatter, but heavier. Yet it's not as heavy as a rod knock.
It gets louder with higher RPM, but the noise isn't syncronis with RPM, if that makes any sense.
My temp and oil pressure are fine.

Somone suggested that it may be my timing chain tensioner. So I figured it wouldn't cost me much to find out.
From the Pic of the gears and tensioner, you can see that the tensioner isn't wore down to metal. There is a bit of wear on the gears, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm going to be out about $12 for a gasket set to put the thing back together.
Should I also go ahead and sink another $45 for the gear and tensioner set?

BTW, Someone else suggested that my problem may be a bad lifter.
But in the back of my mind, I keep thinking that a bad lifter would sound more in sync with the RPM.

Thanks for your input

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
How many miles on it?

Also is the chain have a lot of play? Are there wear markes on the cover showing the chain is slapping?

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
About 150k
The chain flexes about 3/4-1" when off the gears
I didn't see any signs of chain wear on the cover

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
wrist pin knock, the rod that holds the piston to the crank has failed which is why its not as loud as a rod knock, louder with speed but doesnt go with it because the pin is flopping around in the piston, so it may not go even with rpm range, but gets louder with the rpms. Can also be piston slap.

Motor is toast, time to look for a new one and dont sink the chain money into the pit.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Timing chains make an erratic rattling or linear ticking sound that sounds faster than RPM (many chain links passing by the problem area per revolution) and can go away at higher RPM when the speed and tension increases. If it's a fairly regular and periodic sound, it's most likely not the chain.

Though for $45, you might as well do it while it's apart and have the piece of mind that you can rule out that area for problems. Quick internet research indicates timing chain guides are a problem area on the Chevy 2.2.

On your picture, the section on the long guide at the bottom near the crank looks to be getting a little thin, as you can see the dark spot from the metal underneath. Compare to http://tinyurl.com/m7agy5. I'd go ahead and replace it now even if it's not the source of your noise.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: funboy6942
wrist pin knock, the rod that holds the piston to the crank has failed which is why its not as loud as a rod knock, louder with speed but doesnt go with it because the pin is flopping around in the piston, so it may not go even with rpm range, but gets louder with the rpms. Can also be piston slap.

Motor is toast, time to look for a new one and dont sink the chain money into the pit.

Nice diagnosis. :)

I would go ahead with the timing chain repair, and drive it into the ground. I bet it will last a whole longer as long as you don't thrash it.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Well the little 2.2 has its issues.
I didn't want to do anything major, but at this point I think I'm going to do a rebuild.
Does anyone know of a product that's cheaper than Restore.
Would using the 8 cylinder Restore give me twice the engine life as using the 4 cylinder can, in my 2.2L?

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Blain

I didn't want to do anything major, but at this point I think I'm going to do a rebuild.
Would using the 8 cylinder Restore give me twice the engine life as using the 4 cylinder can, in my 2.2L?

And you are going to do a rebuild? :confused: Does tightening the head bolts to twice the torque make the head gasket last twice as long?

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: radioouman

:confused: Does tightening the head bolts to twice the torque make the head gasket last twice as long?
That's just cooky talk! :p

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Does it get quieter or louder as the engine warms up? Piston slap will get quieter and really isn't a big deal.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

/falls out of chair

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
After disassembling the front of the engine, I found the chain tensioner to be intact.
The gears do show some wear, but nothing beyond what should be expected given the mileage.

> Chain & gears

While cleaning the timing cover up in preparation for reassembly I found the problem.

The chain was loose and hitting the timing cover.

crosshairs

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2007
After disassembling the front of the engine, I found the chain tensioner to be intact.
The gears do show some wear, but nothing beyond what should be expected given the mileage.

> Chain & gears

While cleaning the timing cover up in preparation for reassembly I found the problem.

See, you wasted your money....a can of restore would have shrunk that chain right up...:)

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: crosshairs

> Chain & gears

See, you wasted your money....a can of restore would have shrunk that chain right up...:)
True, but like my brother-in-law says...
"It only costs a little more to fly First Class" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.