~9hrs for one WU on SMP 1Ghz P3, sound right? How are you Athlon MP folks doing??

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
This is on W2K. I recall doing a bit better, around ~7 1/2 hrs under 98SE, hmmm.....
Besides the internet download in the BG, not much else.

Currently have 4 WU's, in 997th place!!! :( That's it, the comps @ school are getting a workout, hehe.
So is the lowly 400mhz Celeron lappy, heh, wonder how long it will take that to do one WU.

BTW, how do you win the $1000 ? prize money? Anybody ever won anything for crunching Seti?

Plucky

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Something isnt right there. I have a VP6 w/dual 700@933 and it is doing around 8hrs.................

I also have a Athlon T-Bird 1400@1533MHz.... under 5 hours each. :D

SHUX

drewski

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
that could be the partiuclar WU you did. take an average over several WU to get a better idea. i've got a dual 1GHz P3 and from the SetiLog output it appears that i've had times ranging from 7 hours to 8.75 hours depending on the WU. average around 7.5 hrs/WU.

keep in mind that (and someone correct me if i'm wrong here) each cpu works on a different WU so it's not going to cut your time/WU in half. it will increase your WU/day. i don't think that SMP is 100% efficient so it won't crunch as much as 2x1GHz P3 machines side-by-side will do. :(

also, (i'm about to quote mumbo jumbo i don't understand! :D ) apparently W2k machines are better than 98/ME machines for processing VLAR (Very Low Angle of Refraction?!?) WUs. Even though they are better for the job, those WU take longer to process. do a search and find much better explainations than mine! ;)

a question: is there an easy way to see the stats for an individual machine i have rather than the aggregate on the S@H site for all my machines?

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
My dualie P3 733 is running SETIDriver + 2 CLI's and typically gets about 10 to 10.5 hours per WU. I don't have a logging program and can't decipher the SetiLog.csv, can anyone tell me how to figure out the completion times?

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
that's on a single? then why's mine seem so horrible? even on a duallie? something I'm not doing right?

Plucky

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< decipher the SetiLog.csv >>

never seen one, so I'm not sure. Does it look like anything in notepad?

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
the SetiLog.csv opens into Excel and has a bunch of mysterious numbers that I don't have any clue about.

PLD, the two CPUs have to share the FSB and memory bandwidth, so it's normal for a dualie to take longer per WU than a single-CPU system at the same MHz. Total output is still significantly higher, but it won't be double.

drewski

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
take a peek here for some useful information.

i didn't see an answer to my question. was this just one WU or is this your average?

also, how is your power management set up? are you using the GUI or CLI version?

DroolMAN!

Mar 4, 2000
My AthlonMP 1.2GHz can do VLAR (below .5) in 5.25 hours, LAR (.5 - .8) 5 hours and HAR (above .8) in 4.5 hours. DROOL BABY!!! :p

DroolMAN!

Mar 4, 2000
Tried the normal Athlon 1.4GHz and got the same results as AthlonMP 1.2 +/- 5 minutes. In other words AthlonMP 1.2 = Athlon 1.4 :p. DROOL BABY!!!

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
if you want to send me one of those CSV files (comma seperated varaiable???), I'll take a look at it for ya. I'm OK with those various log files

email me

drewski

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
DroolMAN! was going to give similar type of stats for my Athlon 1.35.

doesn't look like it gives up much in DP/SMP setups. maybe the faster memory?

IsOs

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a dual 1 GHz P3 that slowed down by NAV, and various programs running concurrent with SETI Driver. Its about 9 hrs per WU. Athlon 1.4 GHz on S2460 is doing about 5 hrs per WU. I need to swap them next week. I know the Athlon will be slowed down by those programs.:(

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
I'm using version 3.03 of Seti@Home GUI-based mode.

I had just finished one WU, its not an average of however so many...
I have it set to run constantly when the computer is on, its not set to the alternative screen saver mode.

Plucky

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
You have two problems here. :) First, the GUI client isn't very fast. Second, it won't run on both processors. :)

Totally uninstall the GUI. Install the CLI and SETI Driver. Set the # of processes to 2. There are links to the clients and such in the help thread in my sig.

I don't think you win anything for SETI, just lots of recognitition if you find an alien. :D